MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Not A C Body But It Is Just As Big!  (Read 669 times)

azblackhemi

• View Profile
It's Not A C Body But It Is Just As Big!
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:14:15 PM »

Bought a 64 Cadillac sedan Deville today. Not really sure why but it's a straight rust free Arizona car. It's been sitting a while but inside so the interior isn't trashed like some desert cars. In fact the steering wheel and dash pad are perfect. I guess I'm going to try to get it running and decide then what to do with it. Here's the pictures.

Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »

Amazing condition
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 05:32:09 AM »

Those are really nice cars!  Cad was really about at it's peak of quality in '64. Just look at that grille assembly for example! The trim is jewel-like on these Caddys.   Growing up our neighbor  across the street bought a new white with teal interior sedan De Ville in '64 for his wife, trading in a baby blue '59, and being retired, and of Germanic perfectionist heritage,  of course he really babied it, washed and dried it with a chamois cloth every week, and wiped down the engine compartment every time he drove it, took it only to the Cad dealer for service.  I went back around 1977(?) and they still had it, looked and drove like new, in museum quality. The people at Cheaspeake Cadillac were bugging him to sell it to them. They retired to FL shortly after and I lost track... I would have loved to own that car.  Truly a fine automobile and a level of quality control that Imperial could only dream about... I rode in another neighbor's brand new 1968 De Ville just a few years later and it couldn't touch the Hahn's Arctic White '64.... great find Chris!

firedome2013-04-14 10:37:38
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »

Yeah Rog  I often look at them seeing what's out there.  But right now they all have cooties.  LOL 
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »

Back then the Cadillac was still the real luxury car, and being the price level they were, they usually were taken care of. Finding these giants is usually either something sitting in a garage for a decade or driven to and from the grocery store by a litttle old lady or man, well maintained, and babied. This beauty seems to be halfway in between, or at least up to the last couple years where someone bought it and started making it their daily driver. It should have the 390, a new design from the 331/365/390, this 390 I think is the one that turns into the 472/500, the largest factory cubic inch engine per pound out there. Nice car. A little interior cleaning and a lot of wax and you have a very sweet Caddy.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »

No it was a 429 in '64, last 390 was in '63. There were some minor issues with the 429, I forget what they were, but the 390 was one of the best engines ever. Some Cad nuts think the '63 was their best car ever, but I like the design changes for '64 more.

The 429 went thru '67, and the 472 was am improvement, the 429 was a good engine but not one of Cad's greatest.  I was a Cadillac LaSalle Club member for a while when I had Blackie, a '47 60 Special (longer wheelbase)... now that was a car!  The Cad Club magazine, The Self Starter, is imo the best magazine put out by any car club I've seen, a real class publication. Bud Juneau, a well known S California based expert, was the editor for years.

Let us know how she runs Chris - you may find you have a new true love there, cars like the IMP and NY'er, nice as they are, were mere pretenders to the Throne of The Standard of The World (and it really WAS in 1964!).

Juan Manuel Fangio, one of the greatest drivers of all time, was once asked by Road & Track around 1966 what car he'd chose to drive quickly across the US, and they of course assumed he'd choose a Ferrari GT of some kind, as he raced them... he said "give me a new Cadillac with Turbo HydraMatic and  Frigidaire air conditioning!"   He knew what he was talking about.

firedome2013-04-14 17:01:17
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »

Oops, forgot about the 429. The 1962 and earlier 390 was the better engine, guaranteed. Only thing I didn't like about it is the center exhaust ports are siamesed together. Otherwise, great engine. What seems to be the issue with your 429?
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »

Ed I never had a 429, but heard that it had some problems thru Cad Club members, it may have been soft cam lobes or something like that, I can't remember it was 25 yrs ago, but Cad  fixed it later, they were good about that,  and I'm sure most cars were retrofitted with upgraded parts.  My '47 had a big flathead 346, a wonderful smooth quiet and torquey engine that was used (in pairs) in Stuart tanks!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »

OK I axed a Caddy friend - evidently some of the weak points of the 429 were oil pumps, apparently related to wear of the aluminum front cover, and lifters, not sure of specifics of that one... but neither as serious as soft cam lobes - I may have been thinking of the later '80s Caprice SBCs that were known for soft cam problems... anyhow the 429 is a good engine that can be great with a little knowledege of it's design. They are real torque monsters.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »

Love it!!
It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC