MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My New "Canuck" Car  (Read 1590 times)

Brian

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »

Well there is a non-car guy down the road from me who wants a 70-80's mid sized wagon.  He's asked me to keep my eyes open for a good one.  He might be interested in this one, when you do want to liquidate. 

If you could e-mail me some pics, and I can see if he's be interested in the car.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »

Quote from: azblackhemi
Thanks guys. It is a really good driver. Hey Bob do you think I can find this material anywhere so I can just do the front seats?

I'll check with this one long time upholsterer who has a lot of old cloth, but I'm not too hopeful.....

I didn't like that stuff in my Cordoba....kind of crunchy, but I too didn't want to change it because the back seats hadn't been sat in. I was going to put silver/grey sheepskin covers on the front buckets if I had kept it. Nice sheepskins, not the Wallymart shtuff

I think the wheel width relates to the use of radial tires on the later cars

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

azblackhemi

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

Well it ran great untill today. I started it up and went down the road and it was running real rough under any kind of acceleration. The whole car was violently shaking. Idle isn't too bad but when I give it gas it feels like it's only running on 5 or 6 cylinders. Guess I'll have to make time to look at it tomorrow.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »

Also check the back of the control box and see if the riller they put in there has blisters or is gone.  If it is, replace the controller.  That usually indicates the controller is over heating.  The controller has to have good body grounds too
POLARACO2013-03-08 00:37:37
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

azblackhemi

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
MMMMMM

Lets see.

Check the distributor cap for carbon tracking
Change the pick up

I had that in the Virgin

Thanks for the suggestions  Steve. My plan is to swap the ballast resistor first, then check the cap next. If that doesn't fix it I'll go the control box next.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »

This is what you have to look forward to on those seats 

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »

Ballast resistor isn't bad if it is running. Distributor cap first, then what condition is the gas? Lean burn may be going out!!!!!! Vacuum leaks.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

I forgot about that.  There's a fair amount of spark control going on in there too.  I would put a regular distributor in there and run the vacuum to it.  Call it a day and it will run better.

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:17 AM »

There is no vacuum port on the carb with the lean burn removed, carb has to be changed, too. An early 318 carb is a good solution if you have one of them around, and half the wiring harness goes away, too. Not a difficult swap, and about ten pounds of stuff off the front nose of the car to boot.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 04:54:38 AM »

Additionally, the lean burn system is really not serviceable. The control box is a replace to repair part, even diagnostics are horrible, as half the part/system checks require a replacement part to test whether it works or not. Good when they worked, but not very durable.

azblackhemi

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 04:59:02 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Ballast resistor isn't bad if it is running. Distributor cap first, then what condition is the gas? Lean burn may be going out!!!!!! Vacuum leaks.
I agree, I always thought if the resistor was bad it would just crank and not fire but someone told me they had a a leanburn car that he limped home changed the ballast resistor and it fixed it. I've got extras laying around so I'll spend 2 minutes swapping it out just in case.

firedome

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »

Dealers used to stock a Lean-Burn replacement kit that included everything, even the carb. They had so many problems they had to come up with one... this had been done on my Regis.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

azblackhemi

• View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:55 AM »

Well I'm glad I started with the easy stuff. I pulled the air cleaner off and rught away noticed two plug wires not in thr distributer cap. Not sure how they suddenly came out but it's fixed. Thanks for the help.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 07:05:51 AM »

Ed  There's a dash pot on the lean burns he can draw the vacuum from.  That's how the pooter get's it's reference

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
My New "Canuck" Car
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »

Quote from: azblackhemi
Well I'm glad I started with the easy stuff. I pulled the air cleaner off and rught away noticed two plug wires not in thr distributer cap. Not sure how they suddenly came out but it's fixed. Thanks for the help.

Loose wires will do that! But you know what? If you remove every other sparkplug wire so you have four plugs firing and four dead (has to be every other wire), she will run just fine!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC