MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1957 Belvedere driveshaft  (Read 3129 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
1957 Belvedere driveshaft
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »

If I decided to get the front b&t rebuild kit for $220...I think it would wise to put a new X u-joint on the back too ($100). Now we're up to $320 + shipping...I think it would be a no-brainer to pay a little more and get a modern new driveshaft. I can get a whole new driveshaft made with modern style u-joints for $395 + shipping.  
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »

You will need one with a slip-joint on the front.  One of the pictures on this thread has one on it.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »

How long is that shaft in total length.  Maybe this one is the answer for you.  It's already done
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »

Just about 57" Steve...again, it came out of a 57 Belvedere.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »

57 from where to where?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »

Well, I did a quick measurement of the driveshaft on the bench last night...didn't feel like crawling under car. Obviously the b&t end is spring loaded so with that end of the driveshaft relaxed on bench, I measured from the end of the b&t yoke to the X u-joint rear mounting ears. I was going to go out there right now to measure under the car from e-brake drum mounting surface to yoke mounting surface at rear end...but I have the e-brake drum out right now. I'm going to take it in to machine shop today. Let me get back to you after I get it back in car with a more precise measurement Steve...
Thanks! Bob

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 02:56:16 AM »

Update: I managed to get a local machine shop to turn/resurface my e-brake drum yesterday. I have one little needle roller for the b&t end cap coming from Big M auto/John Fowlie out in Williams, California.  Nicest guy you ever want to meet.

http://www.bigmauto.com/

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC