MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 62 300 H  (Read 1161 times)

Johnny D.

• View Profile
62 300 H
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:28:36 PM »

Anyone see the 62 300 H write up in Hemmings Muscle Machines???

No mention of Fuel Injection, but it didnt seem to bad.

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »

I own one of those 300H's. . .It's been locked up in a container for a year now.  HOWEVER!  I have sent some money down to the guy to get the car rolling again.  Last seen, it was primed and ready to paint.  You can see bits of it in Project cars on the site.  http://www.moparfins.com/Projects/62/Steve_300H/1962_Chrysler_300H.htm   These were from when I first got it.

Now  Let me address the fuel Injection.  Back in the late 50's there Desoto used fuel injection on a few cars.  I don't know the numbers.  In 1962, Fuel Injection was used on 7 Chryslers only.  It was a Bosch system, where the distributor sat on top of the injection pump.  Of the 7 built, 4 were sold.  According to the Chrysler Muesum, they were all New Yorkers.  The other three were destroyed by Chrysler.  The Curator told me of the 4 on the street, only 2 survived and appeared registered at that time.

About 3 years ago, I was in Mesa AZ on a business trip.  While there my laptop proudly displayed my pictures of all my 62's.  At the time, I still had 3 of them.  One of them came from Snotty.  another was a Pic of my H ,another New Yorker I had just sold and a Newport.  An elderly gentleman I met there took us to his home and showed me a 1962 Chrysler New Yorker with 13,000 miles on it.  The car was perfect, I mean PERFECT and almost 100% original.  It was stored in a air conditioned garage.  He explained to me he had cancer and wanted the car to go to someone worthy of it.  We made the deal with a price you wouldn't believe.  However, he had made arrangements with MGM to use the car in some Gangster movie. (Did I just see your eyes light up? )  The movie was to have Tom Sellick in it.  Make a long story short, the Museum contacted me wanting toi buy the only surviving FI 62.  Let's just say they made it worth my while.  When MGM returned the car, I got to drive it around town for about 20 minutes before loading it onto anothe rtrailer bound for the museum.   It's been up there for about 1 1/2 years now, unknown what it's status is.  Nobody I asked has ever seen it.

It was a 1962 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Door, White with red leather interior and fully optioned with what looked like every option available.  It was supposed to be 375 HP, 10 less then the 300 H, but had more torque. 

When I drove that car, I was in 7th heaven.  One of these days I will go up there and find it so I can get pictures.  I have some on CD somewhere.

BY the way John, save me that article please
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Johnny D.

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:43:15 PM »

you got it pal.

A mob movie with Tom Selleck, ha... this i gotta look up...

MobStaffCar722007-12-23 20:46:58

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:44:38 PM »

The Movie was cancelled about 25% into the actual filming.  That's all I know.  What I do know is they rented my car for 50 Dollars a day and paid up immediately.  Seems they scratched the car too, but I could never see where.

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 07:04:53 PM »

Steve sometimes you seem SOO lucky. owning a car THAT rare!!
176K miles 10/22

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 05:15:08 AM »

I wish I had it longer. . Long enough to at least get to know it. . .  It was like Snottys New Yorker.  I bought the car, Oh what Scott, 4 years ago?  I've sat in it twice, never heard it run.  But it's a nice rust free car.  The luck part on that deal was I made a good friend.

Snotty

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »

2003 Steve.  Time flies, eh?  I remember the year because I bought the Newport and Mariah's Neon after selling the New Yorker to you.

I think I made out the best, though.  I got two cars, two computers, one camera, one night in Jersey, and a freind! 
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 05:12:23 AM »

Tsk Tsk Tsk

I got screwed again.  LOL

You left out the free buffet

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »

Awww, makes ya tear up listening to these 2 BFF's remin...remenn....reminisc....look back on the good times!  
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Brian

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »

What about the 57/58 desotos that were 392's and EFI'd....I believe there is only one surviving example of these cars, and it's a convertible too boot!!

There was an article in a mopar mag a few years back about this car....gorgeous.

I had no idea that chrysler offered EFI in 62!!  I thought there attempt at EFI died with teh 57/58's.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »

Actually, let me correct you a bit.  EFI is Electronic Fuel Injection.  This was a mechanical Fuel Injection.  It was the same system in the Desoto you are talking about, I think.  But it was not in the H car.  I started asking questions about the injection after I bought it.  Chrysler referred me to the museum.

I saw that car in Carlisle a few years back.  It was white.  I wanted so bad to see the engine to see if it was the same as mine. Seems to me there were 2 of them, both owned by the same man.  Not sure if #2 was injected.  I believe they were 330's also.  Mine was a 413.

The injection system was very similar to a diesel system, but did not work in such a high pressure.  I think I mentioned the distributor was on top of the injection pump.  It was really quite elaborate with a bunch of mechanical linkages running all over the place.  Don't remember if there was an electric fuel pump or not.  Never had enough time to find out.  There was no service manual for it, I have been trying to find the family of the guy in Mesa who took care of the car.  Everyone is dying on me out there.

Brian

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 05:03:31 PM »

Hey steve....I'm pretty sure the system on the 57/58 Desoto's were an Electronic Fuel Injection.  They ran an electric fuel pump and had an very simple analog computer system.  That analog system was the weak point of the system and was the reason it never ran right.

The restored 57/58 desoto convertible had the system fully restored on the 392 hemi but the guy redid the old analog computer with modern components, within the original computer control moduals.

It ran much better with the newer control system.

I have the article here somewere but this is what I can recall off hand.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

David McDonnell

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 02:53:07 PM »

Steve.........still trying to find my way around this site ....noticed some needed info on '58 300D and '58 Adventurer Bendix FI systems......here is some good pics and info...
Click here: Welcome to 300 Country ....Tom White sounds like the GARU on the $630.00 package that should have gone to Ford for the EDSEL that year!
Can u see the fella's get it?

Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime

Snotty

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 03:09:37 PM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
Hey steve....I'm pretty sure the system on the 57/58 Desoto's were an Electronic Fuel Injection. 

Chrysler's first use of "EFI" was the ill-fated system on the '81-'83 Imperials.  That system alone almost soured the entire US Auto Industry on the idea.  That's why TBI became so popular in the early 80's.  Chevy was using TBI in the late '70s.  Chrysler stated using TBI on it's 318 V-8s in '87, and the 360s in '88, but was using EFI on it's turbo 4s from '84 on.  The Magnum motor in '92 was their triumph over EFI on V-8s. 
It's green here in Chico!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
62 300 H
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 08:15:15 PM »

The 1958 system was a "Bendix Electrojector Fuel Injection" system....and it was a $400 option on the 300D. it was supposed to go against Chevy's and Pontiac's systems.
It was hard to tune and unreliable. 16 300D's were sold with the option and nearly all were converted back to dual carbs. There was no recall.

http://www.ch300imp.com/bendix_us.htm

http://www.colinsclassicauto.com/domestic_affairs_0709.pdf

http://www.chrysler300country.com/rise_and_fall_of_fuel_injection.htm  SCROLL DOWN FOR LOTS OF INFO & PICS

stitcherbob2008-06-05 01:30:29
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC