MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ugh....  (Read 1095 times)

Jay

• View Profile
ugh....
« on: December 08, 2012, 04:24:15 AM »

now winter's here.... i cant not wait for spring to be here so i can cruise in my 66! i had some trouble with the disty and put a new one.. but then wouldnt fire... stupid me, when I put the wires back on, i took them all off but put them all backwards and totally backfired. switched the wires the right way, it ran as if it was new..... smooth, no rattle, no misses, it purred.

thanks to my long time friend for rebuilding the carter carb and did such perfection!, thanks to NAPA for all the parts i needed.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »

Good to hear
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »

Nice to get things all sorted out.  Will be good to get out cruising next year.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Guests

ugh....
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »

Any other things planned until spring?

Jay

• View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:17:04 AM »

i want to repaint it but its gonna be a costy one so that might be on hold. i may have to get new tires. im just glad i have no interior repair to do really... still gotta figure out the gas gauge issue.

Guests

ugh....
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:44:23 AM »

Start with the wiring. With the key off, ground the wire at the tank, turn the key on and see if the gauge moves. If it does, wiring isn't the issue and the gauge is good, which helps narrow down the problem, we then go from there.

Brian

• View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Start with the wiring. With the key off, ground the wire at the tank, turn the key on and see if the gauge moves. If it does, wiring isn't the issue and the gauge is good, which helps narrow down the problem, we then go from there.

That's a handly little time...Thank you!!
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Jay

• View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

actually that was the first thing i did... the guy who rebuilt my carb said the same thing. i took the ground off, put a NEW ground wire on it and found good ground using a test light and it lghted up but no go on the guage... so then key ON.... i put the test light on the the positive on the tank and it flash light on and off, on and off so it is sending a signal. im thinking bad guage. 

Jay

• View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »

man i gotta say i can fnd fuel sending units but can NOT find the origninal fuel gauge. rarely thats the problem but im curious to see the price. found fuel sending unit for 66.00 ish...

Jay

• View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 03:16:24 AM »

I am wondering with my car having 107K miles on it, is it possible the sending unit isnt working or lost the float that could be causing the fuel gauge not to be working? like stated above, test light indicates that its sending a signal.... how bad is taking a sending unit out and slapping in a new one? im thinking of just doing that and then see if the fuel gauge will work. if not, i dont know what else it could be and i can NOT find a fuel gauge.

this is the only one i can find but made for imperial and you get a complete set for 55.00 and i dont need all of them but does imperial and new yorker same fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Imperial-Dash-Gauge-Fuel-Battery-Temp-Ect-1964-1966-1965-NICE-SET-/180985760417?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a23978aa1&vxp=mtr

birdman6520012012-12-15 08:37:49

Guests

ugh....
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 06:52:39 AM »

Well, you can pull the fuel gauge out pretty easily. You know where the wire goes, simply pull the sending unit cover off and see if it will work on a bench first. Not sure if the sending unit will come out without dropping the tank, I can do it on my Charger, so look into that first.

Jay

• View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 07:44:03 AM »

the sending unit is easy access. gotta jack up the car, and the sending unit it like right by the rear end at a slant. i can pull it out right there without dropping the tank.. however.. not a good idea if the tank is FULL bc its where the top and bottom tank are welded together.

like i said, i can put a test light right up to the terminal and get flashing light *sending a signal to the gauge* and i did clean the ground and installed the new ground wire as i had all four wheels jacked up when i did the motor mounts. so i know its getting power to the unit, just not reading on the gauge. so thats been done and tested, no go on the gauge. so only thing i can think of is broken wire behind the dash *which im scared to tear apart such beauty* or the sending unit is no longer working.

Guests

ugh....
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »

Yep, kind of a dilema of how to proceed.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ugh....
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »

You can test the sending unit with an ohm meter in the tank.  If the tank is full, it's probably going to read around 320 Ohm.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC