MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windshield wipers quit  (Read 1723 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Windshield wipers quit
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »

My windshield wipers quit on my 68 Monaco today. The wipers were going real slow before they died only went the one speed...(real slow). Does anyone know how to test the wiper motor to see if it's good/bad?...because I do realize it could be a bad switch in the dash. There's 4 wires on the 3 speed motor.... red, blue, green and brown. Which one do I give the juice to? I don't have a shop manual or I'd look it up.

Thanks, Bob 
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »

2 speed or 3 speed
POLARACO2012-11-02 03:48:43
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »

HiSteve, It's a 3 speed. I've got it under control. I finally figured how to get the cowel cover off. Discovered the linkage was frozen up...Driver side wiper pivot specifically. I tested the motor/switch with the linkage off and it works fine so it's just the issue of getting the driver side wiper pivot freed up. I've got it soaking right now.

Thanks, Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Guests

Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »

My Charger was this way, wipers had never been used. Soak them good and start twisting them, they eventually come loose. Glad it wasn't the motor or wiring.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »

I didn't think that far but good job.

Soak the pivot in some diesel fuel or Kerosene.  Heat them with a hair dryer or heat gun and soak them again.  Keep doing it.  The fuel will work it's way up the shafts and start to work on the corosion in the bodies.

I drill a hole in the bodies and put a zerk fitting in them when they get stiff.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:04:17 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I didn't think that far but good job.

Soak the pivot in some diesel fuel or Kerosene.  Heat them with a hair dryer or heat gun and soak them again.  Keep doing it.  The fuel will work it's way up the shafts and start to work on the corosion in the bodies.

Ed...Steve...Thank you for your advice. I've been soaking the driver side pivot in penetrating oil for about 48 hours now and it has loosened up nicely. My concern was that once I put them back on the car that the rust inside might get going again and they'd just soon sieze up again. I can't disassemble them as they have a crimped collar. Question: Steve, Without disassembling them how did you tap the hole you drilled in order to thread for the zerk fittings? Nice idea but I don't see it happening without taking the shaft out of the pivot body?? 
Bob 

Guests

Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 05:34:28 AM »

I'll let Steve answer that part, but I found with the Charger that once mine were  loosened up and moving on their own, the oil that is in there has helped prevent them from freezing up so I don't worry about it. The B bodies are a pain to get to, they are studded underneath the dashboard and run through the cowl, not sure how yours are, think they are outside and under the cowling like my Dakota, but not sure. Last thing I want to do is have to go back in there and do it again, but pretty confident they won't freeze up again.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »

Quote from: dana44
I'll let Steve answer that part, but I found with the Charger that once mine were  loosened up and moving on their own, the oil that is in there has helped prevent them from freezing up so I don't worry about it. The B bodies are a pain to get to, they are studded underneath the dashboard and run through the cowl, not sure how yours are, think they are outside and under the cowling like my Dakota, but not sure. Last thing I want to do is have to go back in there and do it again, but pretty confident they won't freeze up again.

Ed, mine weren't easy to get to but I did not have to go under the dash...I had to remove the molding at the base of the windshield and then remove about a dozen screws to get the cowel cover off...then the pivots, linkage, motor were all accessible. I've put eveything back to together now...put some "never sieze" at the top and bottom of each pivot sleeve. Wipers work great once again.

Bob

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Windshield wipers quit
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »

Drill through the housing where it looks the thickest at the top.  Rge heat of summer will let the grease flow down in time.  It will wick too.  Just pump as much as you can.  I used chassis grease
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC