MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My project before the real projects  (Read 867 times)

Guests

My project before the real projects
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »

Well, I was going to upload a picture  I had sent back to me that turned out to be just a hair too large, got the house framed out and the trusses installed by myself, so so much for trying to update everyone on my project before my projects!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »

I'll enlarge the file size for you.  Try again tomorrow.

I'm only doing this so I can see your creativeness. 

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »

Steve, I just sent you a picture in regular email. It's only 165K or so, thought our limit was 250K. I guess I really need s file shrinker. Got a link for such a thing or am I just going to have to be resourceful and do all the work myself?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »

Guests

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:34:58 PM »

Thanks Steve. Hard to tell by the angle, but the door entrance is right above the white flowers in the middle of the picture and there is a five foot bump-out that is hard to see with all the vertical studs and all. You can just see the garage in the background by the green step ladder. Essentially it is the exact same house as before (floorplan-wise), with a new roof. I just ended up replacing everything from the dirt underneath(front of house was on three chunks of broken four inch concrete with tar paper on top for safety(?) and a little under the dirt by four inches, so I had 18 inches of dirt to dig out under half the house for code and clearance) to the new roof because of termite damage. I fell through the bedroom ceiling, from termites, had them smiling at me and going back to work over a couple windows and one place in the back room, and the only thing I was able to save wood-wise was redwood cedar full-sized 2X6 and (3) 4X6X20foot, and some really old re-used one inch thick rough sawn redwood cedar that was between 8 and 16 inches wide, 6-18ft lengths). Started cleaning it (it was roofing planks), I was finding square headed nails that had rusted off, on the underside of the boards, which were painted, so they came used from somewhere else. Other than some old 2X4 full sized boards, barely a stick of wood was full length, shims and boards laid on their sides to make most of the floor semi-level, 2X3 (ummm, 2X6 ripped in half), on 3 and 4 foot centers in the ceiling, one nail in the end of a board and nine nails in the other end. Been fun. Now I square up the trusses and cover everything, then carry 1300-1400 roof tiles up the house.
You can't see it, but the back of the house is almost four feet off the ground in the rear, all 2X6 on 12 inch centers, ain't coming down, that's for sure.

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

Wow! That's alot of work. I thought you were renovating Ed, I didn't know you were starting from scratch. Looks great!
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Guests

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:08 PM »

Well, yeah, sort of. Had some foundation to add between house and garage to get away from the breezeway in the beginning, and old termite damage was basically impossible to work around and replace, and then the wood flooring was one thickness of 1X3 tongue and groove on pillar posts and termites were there, the walls then were made out of fire sale 3 and four foot scraps all pieced together, cedar shake walls were literally holding the thing together. Front and rear (one half of the foundation was replaced when we bought the place 20 years ago, part of the repair before sale deal), part of the foundation was actually not present, so it just came down to, tear it down and replace as a renovation instead of the building department telling me I still needed to have 18 inches of clearance between the floor and ground (then find out the foundatino was three inches deep and they would have made me redo the foundation anyway, no foundation bolts on the foundation that was not replaced 20 years ago, so I said to heck with it, so it was ground up restoration (kind of like having a nice looking vehicle requiring all new floorpans just to remain safe), and since I know how to do everything my labor costs are zero so far ($45 to have a couple neighbor kids help me drag the trusses off the street to the house, it was an Arizona hot day and 42 feet of trusses is ackward to drag alone), have been able to keep my costs down so far. Since the girls get the house later, I know it will be standing for the seven granddaughters this time around, I treated every single board that has come on the property for termites (boric acid is cheap), so I'm good for now. This is why I said I need to hold off coming out and giving my free time to restore a car with you so I can learn the little stuff, I can learn later, this is the priority. I have to get this done so I can start my projects, that was part of my own deal to the wife. She's still pissed at me for starting it to begin with and she only comes over here about once every two weeks, I see her every night to take a shower, that's about it (almost a perfect relationship, really).

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »

Quote from: azblackhemi
Wow! That's alot of work. I thought you were renovating Ed, I didn't know you were starting from scratch. Looks great!

Take the rotis out there and paint the house for him.

Guests

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

Now that's something I would like to see!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC