MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No NEW 'verts???  (Read 546 times)

firedome

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »

So the wife has decided that she wants a new convertible... must be a 2nd childhood-midlife crisis kinda thing I guess. She says  "I want a new Mustang convertible like the one we dated in!" (I had a 6 mos old '69  Stang 302 metallic champagne gold convert when we first met in Jan 1970). So I says: "how about  a Challenger?" .... then I go to Dodge.com... there's NO Challenger 'verts!! ... I thought they were going to bring one out a few yrs ago...WTF... no Challenger convertibles! what are they thinking ???! I mean I like the new Mustangs, but....!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »

If you want a new Mopar 'vert,get a Chrysler 200..er rebadged Sebring.
But that will put you in an older age group where clients prefer to take the Gold Bond and Arnold Palmer putting iron over the GPS and satellite radio.

With Fiat running the company,their plans do not include the  Challenger.
It will be dropped by 2014 or 2016,so no convertible.

The Mustang and Camaro verts have the market anyways.
They are mass produced,well priced,and ready on the lots.
The Challengers are built in limited numbers to begin with.
Not to mention how difficult the dragged out process is to order one,and wait a friggin long time to get it..
(Don't get me going on this,I still have a bad taste from my personal experience)
There are some custom car shops that are making vert conversions.
Roger,check out this website.
http://www.challengertalk.com/
Lots of info there on the Chally.Most members are employees of Chrysler at the Brampton plant or linked with the car in Detroit.
They do leak out info on a regular basis.
CBarge2012-08-03 22:10:08
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »

That's not a true statement.  There are only certain options that are limited.

Example:  The 396 5 speed stick is limited.  Some colors are limited.  You can order a Challenger is some colors, but the factory requires 100 units to paint that color.  If they don't get enough, the car won't be built in that model year.

The last limitation is this is a short life car.   It's supposed to go away in 15.

I doubt you'll see a Challenger Vert ever.  But there are guys making them After Market.  At that cost, not a good toy for Gerry.  (Vespa comes to mind.  LOL)

What will survive is the charger.  I saw a preview of an upcoming model that will have hidden headlights and a bumper like the original 70's charger.

That blue is a hot color.  I've hauled 6 of them so far for the dealer.  Last one was from Hartford.  Not bad!  200 bucks for 7 hours, + expenses.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Rog

I can getyou one hello a deal on one if you want.  Might be able to get it a couple hundred below invoice.  I deal with the owner directly.

Hell I can deliver!  For a price.  LOL

I suggest the Pentastar V6.  Then it would be a rare car.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »

Having rented a Pentastar V6 Charger for a month after Gerri crashed the 300,I must admit the V6 had balls and excellent fuel economy.
Worth looking into

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Snotty

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »

If you want a new Mopar 'vert,get a Chrysler 200..er rebadged Sebring.

[/QUOTE]

Sweet cars.  If you have not driven one I would highly recommend doing so before you get something else.
It's green here in Chico!!

firedome

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »

Wife says the 200 lacks the "pizzaz" of the 'Stang, and I kinda agree.
A Chally 'vert would be hot no doubt, but custom-built can get
pricey,  for low-mid-30s she can get a Mustang V6 in Grabber Blue
or GottaHaveItGreen" (she wants a "sporty" color), and the V-6 has
305hp and gets 31 mpg hiway! We only ever bought 1 new car (a SAAB 99
in 1974!), this one will no doubt be the last time... and she's payin'
so she gets the last word on this deal!

BTW the new Shelby GT500 has "the most powefull production V-8 in the world" at 650hp and more than 200 mph... holy moly!!!

firedome2012-08-09 13:09:16
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:17:36 AM »

All that power is nice to have.  Bur where are you going to use it and stay out of trouble?

Jacques

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:30:14 PM »

Quote from: firedome

BTW the new Shelby GT500 has "the most powefull production V-8 in the world" at 650hp and more than 200 mph... holy moly!!!

So according to ford, the current Koenigsegg with either 960 or 1140hp is less powerfull
But have fun picking a car for your wife, I'm sure you're going to find a great 'vert.
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

firedome

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »

At 1.2 Million US$ each, I don't think the Koenigsegg would be considered "production" by very many people, and given the miniscule numbers made, about 18-20 a year - get real! ... considering that even they used a modified Ford Modular V8 before going to the current 4.7, I'm sure Ford knows all about it.  99% of the world has never even heard of Koenigsegg, much less seen one, while anyone can walk into any Ford Dealer and get a Shelby.  There's plenty of US Supercar makers  that also have V8s way over 650hp, but would not be considered "production" by most people...
And being a good Swede, I've known about Christian Koenigegg for a long while, he was a serious contender for buying SAAB, my favorite Euro car (we have 5 in the family) well  before Spyker got it, and now they (SAAB) are being bought by the NEVS group. 

firedome2012-08-10 16:33:23
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Ghatonu

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

That's not a true statement.  There are only certain options that are limited.

Example:  The 396 5 speed stick is limited.  Some colors are limited.  You can order a Challenger is some led lights colors, but the factory requires 100 units to paint that color.  If they don't get enough, the car won't be built in that model year.

The last limitation is this is a short life car.   It's supposed to go away in 15.

I doubt you'll see a Challenger Vert ever.  But there are guys making them After Market.  At that cost, not a good toy for Gerry.  (Vespa comes to mind.  LOL)

What will survive is the charger.  I saw a preview of an upcoming model that will have hidden headlights and a bumper like the original 70's charger.

If you are looking for different colors headlights you can go for LED technology

Ghatonu2012-08-18 01:21:07

Jacques

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 06:19:52 AM »

Quote from: firedome
 while anyone can walk into any Ford Dealer and get a Shelby. 
I was joking :)
The Shelby's are not available at Ford dealerships everywhere, I think they're listed officially in only very few countries actually. But its a nice package, and you're lucky such cars are affordable on your end. Over here, some ecofascist tax  rules make importing such cars extemely expensive (even a pretty standard new mustang or challenger would cost over $ 100,000.00). So enjoy it while you can, and keep us posted!
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

firedome

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 06:59:11 AM »

Ya, they are a bargain for what they can do, like some of the Corvettes... wish I could afford one though,  still pretty expensive even here!  But $100k for a pretty standard Mustang wow! No wonder Forward Look cars and other vintage American  iron seem like a bargain there! 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
No NEW 'verts???
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »

I feel the need to copy and entire post, yet to offer no comment.  It's so fun reading one that has done this, it could be a new trend!

Now, 
It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC