MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sheriff  (Read 11783 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »

Anyway, it very well could be the sending unit.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »

Electrical.  I think voltage regulator.   Or at least I think that's it on the firewall just above the steering column.   Went out to the old mans today and tried something I read about on another dodge forum.  Let it idle with the cap off, let it come to temp and if there's air, it'll burp.  Did that, got a few good bubbles out of it.  

Guess i'm taking a fire extinguisher for the trip home here just in case.   Good thing I put the headlights on relays.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »

Before you go spending money on parts, check the nutorius bulkhead connector.  It's either the heaviest black or red wires.  You may see some brown on the wires.  If you do, then that is the problem.

Chrysler used a buss bar conector up to 65 instead of the spade connectors.  When they went to the spades. that's when troubles like you are experiencing started.

The TSP was to run a piece of #10 wire through the bulkhead connector and connect it on both sides.  Make sure you cut off all the damaged wire.  Solderless connectors are OK, just make sure they are tight.

http://www.moparfins.com/Repairs/Electrical/Bulk_Head_Connectors.htm    See if that helps you

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:02 AM »

Thanks Steve.  We made the trip with the gauges reading wrong.  All went well.  Took it for a couple mile trip to put some gas in and seemed to do real well, running real strong.  About 9 miles in to the 11 mile trip third gear started to slip.     By the time we got the rest of the way it would free wheel when the gas was hit.   It may be adjustment but......
 Her grand father said he had been having problems with the transmission and he left a rebuilt unit with the car.  Though it's sat as long as the car has so I doubt it's worth dropping in without going through it again.  Obviously I'll be checking the small stuff first but I have plans for a trans rebuild now.
czervika2013-05-13 09:33:05

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »

If you want too, I have a 68 trans here that is good.  Come and get it

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »

Steve I appreciate the offer but I have a 67 727 sitting in the garage.  Just gunna pull it down and go through it before I put it in.

Brian

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

Glad you made the trip safely...sorry to hear that the tranny might be gone though.  Since you have the spare tranny that's a good idea to go through it.  Hate to pop it in and then find out it's no better then the one you just took out.

I know all about working in a one car garage...sucks but you make do with what you have.  Nice your father has a big shop you can go to though....wish I had that as an option.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2013, 09:14:27 PM »

Hell I'm in a tent!

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2013, 03:14:40 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Hell I'm in a tent!
 Guy down the street from the old man doesn't even have a tent.  He's got a 58' 300 he's working on under a tarp.

Oh, and I'm hooked on BB power now.  At half throttle yesterday it pulled like freight train.   Kinda makes me want to dump my Magnum and find something with a BB for a driver.

firedome

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2013, 04:55:20 AM »

Glad she made the trip OK! Can't say I blame you for leaving Reisterstown Rd, what a congested mess that place is! I'd never go back (Towson) either.

It's a nice car and worth the effort you're putting in.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2013, 05:27:44 AM »

Big blocks are the bomb! The torque is great, the pull is great, and they are extremely durable. You can make a small block do the same thing, but it just doesn't feel the same. If the trans was put together properly with fluid to lubricate everything it should be good, but you are right, a little moisture over years of sitting could cause an issue so a simple seal kit should give you the grand piece of mind in ensuring she is good to go. At least the six seals for the three clutch packs are easy to do, maybe pull the valve body to make sure the shuttles are smooth is a three or four hour job tops, everything should be clean to start with which is always a plus over a full rebuild of a burned out transmission. When you set the line pressure cage, add an extra turn to raise it just a hair more, and install a shift kit which alleviates a couple of the check balls and drills a slot for extra fluid (all inside the valve body), Mopar Performance used to have a $10 or less kit that had almost no parts, which aren't necessary, but it does make the trans last longer and shift better. Might as well not chance the front and rear seals, too, they are a major pain to change if the torque converter or driveline yoke leak.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »

Yeah at the very least seals, thinkin' full rebuild though.  I may as well have it in a "known" state rather than what it is now.  Rebuild kits are relatively cheap all that's really left is my time and effort.  And if I'm going to tear into it just for seals, well I may as well just do the whole thing. 

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »

Sounds like the best thing to do.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:36 AM »

here we go, another year gone and another year not driving it.  Who knew a wife and kid would eat up so much time.   In the past year the rear quarter has been removed from the car to fix a pop rivet job a repair shop did back in the 70's  Once it was off numerous new rust areas were exposed and you know what kind of rabbit hole that leads to.    So over the course of several month there were numerous patches mad, welded ground, planished etc...

In June, I think,  I started tacking the QP back on.  End of July and I have 8'2" of continuous weld and all the spot welds are done,    I'm trying to get to the point I can lay down a coat of epoxy so I can begin the filler work.   Yup needs filler I'm not good enough to get it metal finished.  Tried but didn't work.  My thickest areas will be about the thickness of the sheet metal itself.  Not happy I need filler but on the flip I'm happy it only has to be that thick.

Trying to shoot epoxy on the drivers side in the next week or so it needs to be sealed while I got back and finish the filler work on the passendger side. 

Found the fuse panel had been melted at some poin in its past and rather than address the problem, someone just soldered the barke circuit to hot side by passing the fuse itself.  Lucky to not have had a fire, ever.   Cut the old block out and used two 6 position ATC fuse blocks in it's place one for constant and one for keyed power.  they'll be replaced somewhere down the road with a single panel and relays.  For now I'm happy knowing it's not going to burndown just sitting there.

There's more electrical work to be done like figure out why the dash signals wigwag when I turn on the flashers with the headlights on.   There's been issues with the dash indicators since we acquired it.  Changing the fuse block solved some, created new ones, i.e. wigwag indicators...  I has a video I'll post below.

There's the transmission rebuild I still have to do but it's on the back burner til I get the rest handled.  I expect to be laying on semi cold concrete next march putting other one in.

Then there's the exhaust to finish.  But right now I can stand the sound so we'll leave it the way it is.  Unless the wife buys the pipe I need to finish it as a christmas present... 

Anyway I still plug along when I have time, mostly my lunch hours, or when the kid is taking his naps on the weekends...

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »

So this was hiding under the trim.  We knew it was hit.  We diodn't know it was repaired like this.  fugggg.  As you can see rust is already starting..

More clearing away filler.

QP is off.  Ugg the fun was just starting.

These are out of sequence but this was the start of the fit up in May '14  I think.

First rust spot fixed on the skin.

It's as flat as I could get it.

Tacks. YAY it's going back on.  I didn't take much of the structure repairs...  One in front of the wheel, one in back, and the entire lower portion of the trunk extension.

Let the serious grinding and hammering begin.  There's still 2 feet left to weld in this pic.

Just checking deflection before getting to the rest of it.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC