MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sheriff  (Read 11673 times)

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »

Back at it.. 

SO I dug into the disc brakes today.  I'm happy to say that if I need be, the rotors are very meaty, I don't think I'd have a problem turning them, if need be.  No gouges, no ridges, no nada.  The pads look like he must have just replaced them before putting the car up, just about a half inch on each pad...yay.  All the piston seals look to be good, no splits or cracks and seem to be pliable.

Found some brake line to use to bench bleed the master on the car.  Just merely bent the tube into a giant C back into the master, slowly pumped away at it for a few minutes.  The master cylinder, sheesh this is a kids show..  Anyway, didn't see any more air coming back into the fluid after some time so I stopped.  Reconnected the disc line and had the wife pump while I cracked the bleeder.  About three three times each side before the stream was absent any air.  

The pedal is now firm right at the top, and it actually power braked in the driveway.  So now I'm at a loss to the brake system.   They calipers seem to work, so now I wonder if it's worth the trouble to aquire the parts or to replace them.   

I know the master needs to be replaced as it leaks and I assume the booster does too. 

Decisions, decisions.. 

Also I need some direction on the rear window.  Looks like the typical dodge rust.  Doesn't look like it's bad, yet.  But I need to know how to remove trim.  any how to's?

czervika2010-08-28 17:00:24

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2010, 08:43:57 AM »

I can't wait for you to get this car fully functional again, because that is one very bad ass ride.  Everything out that car just screams "mean".

Dave
1968 Newport Convertible

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »

Quote from: czervika

Ok so project Bring Black Barge Back To Life officially begins this Friday 12-21-2007. 

You are a very patient man, Bill.  

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:29 AM »

Stan,I know where czervika is coming from.
Life throws things at you that puts the project on the back burner.
My car was brought home August 11,2005.
Still not done yet.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »

I don't anticipate the destination.  I seek the journey.  Have fun!!!!!!

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »

Quote from: Commando1

You have no idea... It's going to be years more before it's anywhere near done.    What should happen and what will happen with the car given my living arrangements is going to be the point of my hesitation.  With the lease coming up in July and another probable move tearing the thing down isn't liekly in the cards the next year.  But we'll see. 

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »

Score!  Both exhaust manifolds are shot due to cracks.  Found replacements at $400 each side.  Needless to say I'm not inclined nor do I have the cash to spens that kind of cash. 

So I started looking to headers.  TTI has a great set but the price id on par with the manifolds so those are out.

Heard horror stories about Hedman.  Having to beat them silly along with requiring heat to get these things to fit kept me away.

Hooker has a set but 67 isn't listed but heard they fit and the prices are fairly high too.  So I was pretty bummed. 

Was playing with a new to me craigslist search site I came across and found an interesting listing.  A set of Hooker 5113hkr's for $150.  Brand spankin new.  Took a quick trip this morning and picked em up.  Now to wait until I get the rest of the cars runnign gear figured out so I can get these things installed and off to the exhaust shop...

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »

Dude,I have a set of C body  HP logs available cheap.Under 150.00 for the pair.
Correct casting numbers and no cracks.
Ya shoulda said something.Yet I was not advertising.
Should the headers not fit,I can still let the HP logs go.

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »

Also I need some direction on the rear window.  Looks like the typical dodge rust.  Doesn't look like it's bad, yet.  But I need to know how to remove trim.  any how to's? 
Your factory shop manual shows where the clips are located.
But here's another way....
First observe which piece of trim has to come off first.
With two flat screwdrivers,run one under the trim until you feel a clip.
Pry up just enough to put the other flat screwdriver on the clip and press down on the tip of the clip.
DO NOT PUT ANY PRESSURE ON THE GLASS.
Once you get the first couple clips to release the trim,it will come off easily.
I would re3commend removing the rear window to repair the rust.
Luckily,your window does not use a gasket.It can be re-installed with butyl window sealant.
Hope this helps.
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »

Got the rear window trim off, no bends, yay.  anyway here's some pics of what i'm looking at.  Doesn't seem too bad overall.  I hate to do it but I think the rear window is going to have to come out.. Da*&. 

And finally, how does a man release these?  This is from the damaged side and I'd really like to not bend up any more stainless than I have too.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »

This particular clip is bolted from the backside.

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »

The rear window will have to come out.
Luckily there is no gasket required--just the typical urethane window goop.
One the window is out,thee clips can be removed.They are simply screwed into the window frame opening.Clean out all the old windoww sealant and poke around for holes.
Once it is all cleaned up,you will find where the water is entering the trunk--if you have any leaks.
Not much left in my window frame after clean up...

After welding and shaping the frame..

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »

No leaks that I've encountered yet.  So lets hope that's a good sign.

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »

Everything seems to be solid still just a bit of surface rust.  In the spots where there's obvious rust i used an awl and a hammer to look for holes.  Thankfully, none found.  So while I have this window out I'm looking around a bit.  This felt, padding, whatever it's called, is there a supplier that has material I can use to replace it?   Also, anyone know what I can make gakets out of for the rear AC vents?

The CB antenna cable is out from under the carpet too.  Lea, it's all yours.  See if I can't drop it off to the boss some weekend, or on my next trip up to CT.  Or I'll figure out a way to mail it without getting the damn whip bent. 

Also found a rubber tag on the rear seat bottom that has 12/9/1966 on it.  Nothing note worthy just thoguht it was interesting.

czervika2010-11-10 22:26:48

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2010, 01:52:15 AM »

You're lucky you got that rust in time before it got worse.
The foam padding may be available from a local upholstery shop.Just get your measurements (length/width) and cut out the holes yourself.
No worries about the CB antennea. You can put the whip in a PVC or cardboard tube.
I will give you my NY addy when you are ready,and no rush.

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC