MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sheriff  (Read 13172 times)

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« on: December 19, 2007, 03:56:41 PM »

Foamy suggested I start a project thread so I guess this is going to be it.

Ok so project Bring Black Barge Back To Life officially begins this Friday 12-21-2007.  Since I sort of have her running already, I'll try to get as much as I can during the next few days as far as pictures and what is going on and where we're at.

So for those that don't know this actually ended up being a gift after some family turmoil.  That being said I'll probably end up paying for it with my soul to my in-laws.  But what are ya gunna do?  The car is a 1967 Dodge Monaco, 440 4bbl, 727, Suregrip, factory discs and A/C.  It has sat for roughly 10 years.  It was owned by my wife's grandfather.  He purchased it from a sheriff from somewhere in Montana (as far as I know) in 1968.  It was moved down here to Colorado in late 80's.  

He died about a year before my wife and I were married, but knew him well since I've known her since she was 12, lets just say it's 22 years later.  See, didn't type her age.  The car was parked 2 years before he died and no one else in the family saw any value in the car.  Until we wanted it in August 2005.  Then it was going to Barret Jackson the next week and worth at least 5 or 6 gold bars. So we gave up on it.  In October my father in-law called and asked if we still wanted the car.  We asked what is it going to cost us, the answer was "Do you want the car?".  So $124 later for the flatbed bill and here we are.  Since I'm still waiting on a title search the rest of the family doesn't know that she actually starts and runs and that's the way it will be until the thing is signed and in the safe.

The first time I fired it up my wife came running out of the house as she couldn't believe it.   So I primed the carb again and let her kick it over, she smiled from ear to ear and just sat in it for about 15 minutes with that smile.  I thought she was going to pass out this Saturday 12-15-07 when it fired up without being primed and ran on it's own.

It's not that it's a collectible car or that she has any thoughts of selling it.  It's all the memories of growing up with it.  It apears that this car saved her life when she was 5 after having her tonsils out the second day home she coughed and started to hemorage.  Grandma called the local authorities and told them she was heading for the hopital, threw my wife in the car and ran wide open til they got there.  I think she veiws this as repaying the favor. 

The only she has for asked so far is once the car is fully operational that we go down to Ft. Logan to drop off flowers to her grandparents in their car.  Other than that I've been given free reign.   She says her grandfather would have done everything I've suggested had he had the money.  So it begins.

Some pictures to get this going;

You can see all the pictures here (this is a repository for pictures of my vehicles);

http://czervika.smugmug.com/gallery/3864935#232899461

Bill

czervika2010-11-12 11:02:56

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »

well bill thats a wondeful story. i appreciate cars with background. let us know what problems you have with it and we can help you get this thing moving.
176K miles 10/22

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:17:50 PM »

Now there is a good reason to restore a C.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »

Great story...and nice car BTW!!!

We'll watch and help as we can.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »

Bill,that is a GREAT story and a sweet lookin ride!!!
We're here for ya,anything we can do!!

John B.

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »

Hey Bill; Nice ol Dodge!! My Dad had a 66 & 67 monaco, they were great cars, though as I recall being CDN. models they didn't have that nice dual cluster dash! go figure!! all Canuck models got the  Plymouth dash, which I never thought was as nice. The chrome looks in great shape, even the steering wheel has hardly any cracks or separation!!  it looks like she was well looked after, good luck on the resto,  John

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »

Well fellas Black Barge has brakes.   Took about 2 hours and a quart of fluid bleeding by myself.  Don't believe everything you hear about those power bleeders.  But then again I couldn't do it the old fashioned way by myself.

Transmission goes into Drive and reverse.  And seems to accelerate the wheels with throttle.  The engine also loads up when placed into either gear.

So those are two good things.   +2 for the day so far.

Carb seems to be getting worse and I don't doubt it.  Got the correct kit in hand and will be tearing it down this afternoon.  I hope I remember how to tune a carb, it's been a long time. 

One negative thing today.  Still +1 for the day over all so I'm happy.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 01:04:04 PM »

Your story about the your wife and the Monaco reminded me of a similar experience.  I was 5 yrs old when my tonsils were removed.  The scab from them had broken off and I began to bleed, and the blood formed a clot and began to block my throat and I couldn't breathe.  My grandmother loaded me up in her woodgrain '67 Monaco wagon and ran me as fast as she could to the ER.  She got me there before I passed out.....  Absolutely freaky how similar our stories are!
1968 Newport Convertible

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 03:27:54 PM »

Yeah huh.

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 09:15:35 AM »

Arrgh!  Anyone need a carb rebuild kit for 67 Monaco with big block and carter AFB?   It apears that this thing has a carb from a '69 (4640SA).   I just peed away 30 bucks...  Trip back to Napa...  Ah gives me a chance to romp on the magnum a bit.

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »

damn. well don't feel too bad . i did the EXACT same thing with my Fury. still haven't got it rebuilt either. good luck.
176K miles 10/22

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 06:14:56 PM »

Success!    The carb is back on and idling very well.   I still have to correct a choke problem but I think I can deal with it as is since this isn't a driver yet.  Tomorrow she comes down off the dollies and see if we'll move a few feet in reverse and then forward.   

More tomorrow.

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »

whoo hoo. isn't sucsess great?? do you plan on making it a regular driver or the every now and again type??
176K miles 10/22

Bill

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 06:35:14 PM »

Yes it is.  The plan is an every once in a while driver.   I commute 38 miles one way everyday so that puts a damper on driving it too often.  It'll probably end up being a weekend warrior and maybe an occasional driver to work.  But all that depends on what bugs I find and what they take to fix.   I'd like to get all this old gas burnt out of it and see what good stuff will do.  As it stands after the carb rebuild, idle has smoothed out considerably and throttle response seems to be much improved. 

czervika2007-12-22 23:36:04

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
The Sheriff
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 06:38:40 PM »

i know what you mean. i REFUSED to put my Fury in storage. my answer was "how am i supposed to drive it if it's in storage. i don't drive all the time but at least i  can look at it everyday.
176K miles 10/22
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC