MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trans Issue or is This Common  (Read 1446 times)

Scott

• View Profile
Trans Issue or is This Common
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:42:49 AM »

I hadn't driven my '65 300 (original 727 trans, rebuilt with 3,000 miles on it) in a couple weeks and got it out yesterday to head out to a local cruise night.  I started the car and let it idle in Park for a while so it could warm up.  When I put it in Drive it barely wanted to move and I could hear a very, very faint whining noise.  I put it into Neutral, gave it a few revs, put it back in Drive and drove off.  Trans shifted fine after that with no noise at all.  It's always made a slight whine in Reverse but from what I've read this is fairly common.  Anyone have any input?

rexus312012-06-02 11:14:05
============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »

I used to know the exact reason for this...but I'll wager a guess.  The fluid is drain back out of the torque converter into the transmission.  Idling in park will not move much fluid back into the converter.  If you idle in neutral for a few seconds before going to drive it should engage almost immediately.

I just fired the wagon after 7 months of sitting in storage.  Put the trans into reverse and nothing, then popped it into neutral for about 3 seconds and it started moving.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Guests

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »

There is a drain in the torque converter that naturally drains back to the pan, it is normal, mine do that, too. Around the late 70s they put a check valve/ball into the circuit to prevent it from happening, but I usually go drive to neutral a couple times and it goes away, no harm to anything whatsoever.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »

Cool, thanks guys.  I kinda figured it was "normal".
============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »

Even my 2004 Cummins Ram 3500 has to go in nuetral for a couple of secondsl before it wants to go.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
If you idle in neutral for a few seconds before going to drive it should engage almost immediately.

It happens more as these cars get older.  There was an article in one of the Mopar magazines explaining why.
It's green here in Chico!!

Guests

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »

It's just a little one way checkvalve that was installed later in life, and can be retrofitted to the older ones, just something with the design that simply allows the sludge to form in the pan vice in one side of the torque converter if she is parked for long periods of time.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »

I have that problem on Polaraco, and the trans was built like brand new.  It took me 4 years just to put a check valve in the fuel injection system!
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC