MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fuel gauge problems  (Read 1508 times)

Alexzander Vulmea Dare

• View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »

My 1960 dodge pioneer has a non working gas gauge....go figure  I have read the atricles here on fixing them and after looking for a bout 2 hours in have reconnected the interior light switch back and got the oil pressure light working again, but no gas gauge. I have an original shop manual, well 2 to be exact... Neither show a voltage limiter, nor have I been able to find one, but that said. My back that has been screwed up for 2 weeks now , do'es feel much better doing the under dash crawl.  I always try to look at the positive!!!! There are some wires with clips that are not connected, that I am still tracing. And since my car sits too low for my fat ass to crawl under I havent gotten the chance to look at the tank. I guess my question is where the hell is the voltage limiter located, and why is it not in the shop manual?
Life is tightning one loose bolt at a time. All my bolts are loose and I can't find a wrench that fit's!

Guests

fuel gauge problems
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »

Look at the gauge cluster, it should be attached to the back of it and come out when the cluster is pulled. Should look something like a condenser or 1.25inch candy bar, silver in color.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »

I wrote that about 5 years ago.  That's the parent site to the forum.  When I have one tooth left, I'll finish the site 
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Alexzander Vulmea Dare

• View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:31:57 AM »

I have yet to find it. But will keep looking. Why does'nt it show it in the shop manual???? I read that article Polaraco, hell I even had it pulled up on my Ipad, I am wondering if they have pulled it and thats what those few loose connecters are up near the top of the dash? It's raining very large cats and fat ass dogs here today so it will have to wait till it slows down. I hope my land yacht floats
Life is tightning one loose bolt at a time. All my bolts are loose and I can't find a wrench that fit's!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »

Quote from: dana44
Look at the gauge cluster, it should be attached to the back of it and come out when the cluster is pulled. Should look something like a condenser or 1.25inch candy bar, silver in color.
Let me breeze the 62 manual for you.  The 60 had an alternator original?  I think that was the first year for alternators.  Another first by Chrysler

Alexzander Vulmea Dare

• View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »

They had already installed a 2 wire alternator,before I got the car. According to the shop manual it was origanaly a generator. I have sign off for a bit. We are getting ready to have another severe thunderstorm and it's not looking good. So I guess I just need to sit back and  

firedome

• View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:47 AM »

1961 was first year for alternators, 1960 still had generator standard across the Mopar line.

If it has an alternator it was changed post '60

firedome2012-03-25 11:12:30
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Alexzander Vulmea Dare

• View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »

Indeed firedome, you are right. 60 Dart gave me some good info. I crawled my fat ass up under the tank and saw only one wire to the sending unit. I tried to ground the tank, but got 1/4 tank reading with a full tank of gas. SOOOOoooo I went to the gauge itself and attached a ground to the light blue wire at the gauge. Tah DAH... afull tank reading. Sooo doe'es this mean my sending unit is bad or the ground at the tank? Or can I just ground at the gauge and get a correct reading?      Any help would be greatly apreciated..Alex

Guests

fuel gauge problems
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »

You may have simply ground the wire all the way out and it would automatically show full, by accident. It would be worth it to pull the sending unit from the tank (careful of that full tank of gas), and with the guage out of the tank, move the arm itself to get proper readings. You did prove the problem is not the guage itself, so at least you have that going for you.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:00:30 PM »

[/QUOTE]
Canuck built Mopars had to wait another year later to get the alternator.
1962 saw Canuck cars with the new fangled charging system.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »

Quote from: firedome
1961 was first year for alternators, 1960 still had generator standard across the Mopar line.

If it has an alternator it was changed post '60

The alternator was in the Valiant and the Lancer in 1960

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fuel gauge problems
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »

Quote from: Dragonrider
Indeed firedome, you are right. 60 Dart gave me some good info. I crawled my fat ass up under the tank and saw only one wire to the sending unit. I tried to ground the tank, but got 1/4 tank reading with a full tank of gas. SOOOOoooo I went to the gauge itself and attached a ground to the light blue wire at the gauge. Tah DAH... afull tank reading. Sooo doe'es this mean my sending unit is bad or the ground at the tank? Or can I just ground at the gauge and get a correct reading?      Any help would be greatly apreciated..Alex
Lets make sure it's not in the wiring.  Ground the wire on the sending unit and see what the gauge does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC