MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring is Here... We'll see what we'll see...  (Read 536 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Spring is Here... We'll see what we'll see...
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:57:05 AM »

So, last year, I drove my '69 Monaco wagon 1 time, around the block, got very discouraged, and put it away... Not a wise move, I know.

I had let it sit all the previous fall and winter, and started working on it in the spring. I did a bunch of work on it, and got it running nicely, or so I though... The day I drove it, I let it run for half an hour, just idling, to see if there were any leaks, since I had done valve covers, fuel pump, put on a different carb, etc... No leaks. Awesome.
Then I backed it out, and drove around the block. A clacking noise from the rear, probably passenger side... I presume, and hope, just brake dust in the drum, but I didn't check at the time. The bad part was, I had both oil and trans fluild leaking from the bottom side.

So, I figure possibly the oil pan gasket, but not sure about the trans leak. I am hoping that because the trans cooler lines are rusty, maybe that's where my leak is coming from.

Anyway, I will see about getting back to it here soon, and hopefully not have to spend a mint to get it going again, but as I said in the title... We'll see what we'll see.

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Guests

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »

Don't feel bad, I just broke my 63 Triumph TR4 out of a crate she was put into inside the garage. She was put there in July 1995, just before I shipped out to Japan for a year.She is completely dismantled, mostly degreased, and I loaded the bare body with no fenders/doors/interior, etcl, into the back of my 95 Dakota and drove it back to the garage (she fit in sideways between the wheel wells, amazing). I have to get my daughter to email the phone picture to me so I can post it! Now the wife wants me to empty the 9X12 storage shed that contains all the pieces to the TR4 so I can get all the car stored in the garage. At the rate I am going, I won't have enough to work on anything based on the fact everything is in it. At least I finally have some place to put things, been waiting 20 years to get this stuff done.

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »

When you look at the big picture on these old cars it can get a little overwhelming for sure. I would suggest tackling one problem at a time. That's how I'm dealing with my Monaco Wagon. Just keep plugging along and after fixing 3 or 4 issues it will kind of give you a more positive outlook on things. Before you know it the list of "fixed things" will be longer than the "needs fixing" list. By the way I love your wagon. I wish mine was a cool color like yours.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Guests

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »

uploads/300/tr4.JPG

Here's a TR4 in the back of my truck. Sorry about the quality, cellphone converted picture. 39 Nash in the background. Lots going on around here, just love progress. The garage is 175 feet as the crow flies and walking down to it, but I have to drive around the block to get to it, about 600 yards as the road runs.dana442012-03-15 13:25:49

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »

Wow I can't believe you made that fit in that little dakota...LOL.

But I'm sure the problems with your wagon are actually minor.  These cars were generally over engineered and though lack of maintenance can cause a lot of issues, the over all car is usually in good shape.

I'd start with the oil and tranny fluid leak.  It might also be the power steering fluid leaking as opposed to the tranny fluid?  if you have over filled the power steering reservoir, and then the fluid gets hot and expands, it will puke out all over the place.  Oil leak...well probably the rear main seal...especially if the car sat for a long time.

Get out there and fire it up, see what's happening, post up some pics and info, and we will help you through your issues.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »

Excellent advice. When I look at it that way, it really is a project, not my Daily Driver that I need to get running so I can get around. Someday, when it is running reliably, I will drive it alot. Until then, I'll keep working the list.

Heck, even if I can't get it running right away, I can get good practice working on the fenders. Funny thing is, I wanted to pull off all that fake wood, and paint the car Cobalt Blue, but so many people like the color combo now, I will be saving the blue to last, if I do it at all.

Thanks again... as always.

1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Guests

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »

Body without the windshield attached is less than 36 inches, so it slid right in, tied it down. Body was light enough I could handle it myself, just had to vacuum the mouse droppings out. Only rust is a spot behind a fender about the size of an orange, and thin metal under the battery tray, so good solid piece to start with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC