MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jake's 65 B'cuda  (Read 9106 times)

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »

I'm laying claim back to my thread again, you pirates!!!!!

Made a little progress tonight...   got the rear valance/trunk panel trimmed and test fitted...  ready to tack in place after we get the metal prepped behind it....

Jake's A body will fit in my C body's trunk!

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

Madea little progress today.... after a nearly 3week vacationand all the prep that went into that, we got the patch test fitted this afternoon on the lower right 1/4....pics when I finally get it tacked in place.....

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 04:44:04 AM »

I'll get ya all caught up on pics soon...  But we have the "big" body work done... need to start picking at the little stuff on the body now...  Front suspension is in and done, new brake lines fabbed, dual pot master cylinder conversion, rear brakes done and Scarebird front disc brake conversion,  Fuel tank is coated and in place, all floors from the firewall to the rear bumper have been coated on the inside.....  Haven't decided if we do the window frames then the dash and get the front/rear windshields in next - or start on the engine and trans....

We can go 1 of 3 ways on the engine - keeping in mind we're not building a street/strip car, just a daily driver....
--Try to save the frozen 273 that came out of it (sounds like a lot of machining depending on why it's froze) = exspensive
--  rebuild a known good 90k mile 318 from my 69 wanna bee project - theoretically less machining = less expensive
-- pull the already rebuild 23 years ago and never installed 318 from an 83 something from under the workbench = least expensive - especially since i didn't pay for it 23 years ago....

Guests

Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »

Sounds like you are making good progress. As far as the engine choice goes, until you pull the original 273 apart you won't know how good or bad it is. Honing can do a lot of good for a simple street engine, good moly rings, crank is the same as the 318 (match the flywheel, some of the early ones had a different pattern on the crank), heads are closed chamber, so more compression but 318 valves, no problem there, possibly adjustable rockers on the 273, but can be swapped to the 318 to get better cam adjustment.

Just thought I would throw a couple more options in there for 'ya.

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:43 AM »

Thanks Dana...  I do appreciate the input... Yes - adjustable rockers in the 273....   With the early 273, the intake bolts go in a a different angle than the later 273/318's...   makes after market intakes hard to fit and finding an original 4bbl intake is costly as well...  Supposedly I can run a drill thru a newer intake at the appropriate angle...so i've heard anyway.

If I understand it correctly, If I go with 318 rockers on the 273, just use the 318 push rods and a hydrallic cam/lifter package?

ragtopfury2012-09-19 12:13:44

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »

that 273 is expensive to rebuild, stick with the 318, can do a lot more with the 318

Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Guests

Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »

RTF, you can go with the adjustable rockers on the 318, just the required pushrods. I wouldn't go backwards by getting rid of adjustable rockers under any circumstances, just makes for better valve geometry. A set of pushrods isn't that exensive, but yes, you can drop the hydraulic cam in the 273, pushrods are shorter I believe, but the cam company can give you the specifics on that. 

Now, a step farther is to take those closed chamber 273 heads, get the heads redrilled for a 318 intake and drop all this on the 318. It will give  you an extra atmosphere (9:1 vice 8:1), and I can easily show you what to do in order to prevent pinging and still run on the cheapest gas from Mexico (75 octane) without an issue at all.  It would pep the 318 without a problem, and actually improve gas mileage (done it several times).  The 318 likes a pretty mild cam, something around a .430 lift (still mild), and an RV or an upgraded 340 4bbl or 360 4bbl cam works well.

Snotty

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »

I'd say if you're swapping the original motor, don't stop at a 318, go to a 360.  If you're going to spend money building a 318 you will end up with less motor than a stock 360 offers.  Put the money into one of those and get some good power.
However, since you already have the 318 I would understand your going with that.
It's green here in Chico!!

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 04:11:56 AM »

Looking at time vs. money....  the already rebuilt 318 is winning....  When he has a newer daily driver one year and this becomes his full time toy, he can make all the changes he wants....lol

Another month has passed... It will be 1 year next week that Jake and I totally dismantled his B'cuda.... Between my job, the costly vacation this year, his school and his sports - not a lot of progress to show, other than he has managed an hour here and there and has a little more than half the car stripped down.... I hope to have it in primer by Dec 1st.... I am pretty much right where I thought we'd be after 12 months...... I'm down to 10 months before he starts his Senior year of high school..... It's gonna be close...... I told him at the beginning he woudl drive it to school his senior year - I just didn't say what part of his senior year...................
We have a deal with the wife for next week - We get 2+ full days on the car, if we spend a day at the mall.............It'll be brutal, but we'll suffer thru it....
 Recap : Floors are done, both full 1/4's are done, both fenders are done, inner fenders/firewall are done, front and rear suspension is done, 8-3/4 is done, Scarebird conversion is done, brake system is done... He has a bunch of new parts for it, a full interior except the carpet for it, and my 318 under the workbench is getting restless...... Still stripping/straightening the rest of the body............

Guests

Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »

Sounds like you are doing just fine. I can only imagine the quality of work the guys on the newer TV shows that go start to finish in 5-12 days (depending on the show) that redo cars. I haven't ever been able to do anything quite that fast, so yeah, you are probably closer to the proper time schedule than you think, it is all time consuming.

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »

Yup Dana - We are pretty much right where I wanted to be 1 year into it...

Long promised pics..... 

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 06:29:16 AM »

And to where we are today... Jake even got Mom to help trial fit the rear window gasket.....

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »

and the fuel door is mostly in.... I'm really liking the way it went in and how it sits...especially whenJake's not holding it crooked...lol  Still need to feather the bondo out all the way around to finish smoothing it out.... and it's amazing what an angle grinder can do for those butt-ugly welds.....................................

ragtopfury2012-12-03 23:08:23

Guests

Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »

Looks good in pink!

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »

Ya know...  To a 16 yr old young man - pink isn't manly...  LOLOLOL    

Amazingly, that is only the 3rd quart of bondo we've cracked open... half of the 1st two were sanded back off elsewhere.... for my amteur body skills, I'don't think that is too bad....  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC