MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Jake's 65 B'cuda  (Read 8565 times)

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »

I had posted on here somewhere in July 2011 about Jake's 1st car, but here is an update that I'll maintain going forward as progress creeps.....

So we let our oldest bring home the $400 rust bucket, nowing full well that it needed a complete restoration. The original plan was to get the Shelby Dakota freshened up for him to learn to drive in this coming fall....But nooooooooo, this little 273/auto B'cuda found me...... Really is a neat little car that will almost fit in the Fury's trunk.....

The time-line thus far:
7/16/2011  dragged it home the whole 4 miles from the house
Thankgsgiving week  parked the Fury outside and rolled the B'cuda into the garage. Totally dismantled in 5 days - Had Jake makesure we boxed/bagged/tagged everything
By Christmas, we had the floors cut out and patches made from the original tree limb dented hood
Last weekend we swapped the 7-1/4 out for an almost stolen for $150 complete 8-3/4 3.23 sure grip.
As of tonight, floors are done, inner fenders are done and we just cut the left 1/4 open.

The pics tell the story..... although they are somewhat out of order.....

Jake's A body will fit in my C body's trunk!

Guests

Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »

A very good start! Keep us updated with the pictures.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:43 AM »

Why does everybody have a better garage than I do?  LOL
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »

Have fun!  My son and I started the Gremlin Project when he was 16.  He drove it for the first time when he was 20!  May your time be shorter.  Good luck.
It's green here in Chico!!

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »

It's amazing how much bigger the garage is with his car in there than with the Fury..... We can actually work all the way around it....but what you can't see is the Coronet buried under a bunch of junk in the other side....... When we raised the roof of the garage two years ago to make the upstairs of the house bigger, I went ahead and painted the new garage walls/ceiling off-white and put in 9 recessed flood lights on 3 seperate switches. also put a ceiling fan in.  It's got an 11 ft ceiling, so I ran a 4 ft deep shelf all the way across the front wall above the doors.

As for a shorter time til he drives it....  I'm under the gun on this one. The wife says we'll never have it done for his senior year of high school.... I'm up for the challenge even when she starts complaining that I'm spending too much time in the garage..... We are furhter along at this point than I expected to be, just need to keep the momentum going and remind ourselves we're building a daily driver, not a show car...........

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »

Steve, it's not just you.  My garage is just big enough for the Dart, but unless I moved all the shelving on the back wall the Chrysler is too long.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Snotty

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »

[/QUOTE]

The journey is the fun you will have/have had with your son.  Enjoy!

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »

Cluley - I found FABO after we dragged the lil car home.... Figured my "full-sized" friends would want to see what I'm up to as well..... Thanks for following!

Dana - As things progress, no matter how fast or slow, I'll keep y'all updated here!

Snotty - I'm hearing you, but I am in denial....LOL

Steve - Garage-schmarage..... the best looking cars I have turned out were built  in the stones in Dad's backyard before I had my own place......  Although it is nice to work with a roof over-head.

To all in the Mopar-i-like-to-see-what-others-are-building world,  We do appreciate the watching, comments, suggestions, pointers, and over all interest in what we are doing in our little world here. Cheers to all!!!!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »

Ha!

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:19:59 AM »

Explain to me why someone would do this and permanently bolt the windo in place with 2 molly bolts.....wtf?  I knew the window was made to be a fixed object in the past, but until we cut the 1/4 off, couldn't really see why....    Thing is, once removed, the regulator winds up and down just fine.  So we straightened it out, weleded the tear in the main arm, lubed it all up real good, and good to go.

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »

can't see my own pics, so here they are again.... Sometimes I'm "post a reply" challenged....

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »

And here's the initial test fit of the 65 Valiant 1/4 from Alabama..... We got the WOW factor when we layed it up there last night. Hopefully Saturday we can get it trimmed up and tacked in place.... He's really not a midget - the car is up on stands/ramps...LOL.

Guests

Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »

Had me worried there for a second, until you explained the stands/ramps!

Looking good, keep it up.

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »

Yeah...  We don't come from a family of giants, but not from dwarf's either....LOL

Got allthe external welds done tonight, as well as the door jamb and the seam where the trunk extension mates up.... Still need to weld the wheel house where they were mated....

Mark

• View Profile
Jake's 65 B'cuda
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

Some progress the past couple of days....left 1/4 is now a permanent fixture, welds ground down, skim coat of filler....had to make one small patch in the lower part of the Alabama steel.....
ran out of wire in the welder............................

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC