MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something for those of us into trains....  (Read 332 times)

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
1968 Newport Convertible

firedome

• View Profile
Something for those of us into trains....
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:38:11 AM »

Cool! GM/Electromotive F series diesel-electrics an' '60s Mopars - it doesn't get much better than that!! - 3 Chebbies in a row too, appropriate given the diesels, and I always kinda liked the '58s.
When I was a young whippersnapper  the EMD F's ruled passenger train service  here in the East along with the Pennsy RR GG-1 pantograph electrics.  I keep praying for a true resurgence in US passenger rail, high sped rail ala Euorpe and Asia, I've been on the French Grand Vitesse and it is amazing!!! We've totally lost our edge in train technology...   thanks for sharing!!!

firedome2011-12-05 09:46:25
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »

Nice pic! Whats this wagon partly visible on the first row of cars?

Quote from: firedome
I keep praying for a true resurgence in US passenger rail, high sped rail ala Euorpe and Asia, I've been on the French Grand Vitesse and it is amazing!!! We've totally lost our edge in train technology...   thanks for sharing!!!

This edge was already lost some 4-5 decades ago. But there's a reason for this. Keep in mind, that a highspeed network isn't possible from a financial point of view in larger areas. There's a reason that the Transsiberian, Transmongolian and similar trains are not high speed, but old school diesel: the cost of keeping up the required electric network over such vast and largely unpopulated areas is simply too high. And depending on winter climate, the electric wires will not survive severe frost because of the weight of accumulated ice on the cables.

So US coast to coast is probably not realistic from an economic point of view. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense in densely populated areas like Japan or NW Europe, so maybe it would be a nice project like the Hoover dam to make a Government funded Hispeed network in some selected areas (SF-LA? NY-DC?) to combat current unemployment problems. But then again, funding in these days is tricky with the massive US debt and deficit.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Guests

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »

There was supposed to be, and is still in the works, a highspeed commuter train scheduled for San Francisco to San Diego. It was going to cost something like $4.5 Billion and has been in the works for several years (as far as description goes), was actually voted on by the people and they said sure, then, seven years later, price is now $9+Billion and goes from SF to Los Angeles and still hasn't been started. Sorry, that is just way too much money for the lack of productivity it will actually produce, so, as you say, too great a distance, too great a cost, but those travelling would be able to stretch out and lay across four seats to catch a long nap it will be so empty.

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »

Escalating costs on public transportation projects, sounds very Dutch :)

But I always like the look of (especially) older trains, stations, and stuff related to it. Its the same charm as an old car with faded paint and some rusty spots, but still doing the job nicely.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:38:42 AM »

High speed trains would make a great deal of sense in the DC to Boston corridor, with by far the highest ridership in the US and a huge pain to fly here, dealing with airports when the flight is only an hour or 2, it would be filled to capacity, even now with the fastest train only 120 in short stretches, it's jam packed most of the time.

I also prefer the old trains... the steam era was winding down when I was a kid, but we still saw them from time to time. The wife's Mom and Uncle both worked for the B & O, in the '50s one of, if not the, oldest railroads in the world, now a part of The Chessie System (former C & O).  And the last of the Baldwin Sharknose diesels graced the Delaware and Hudson tracks right here in Binghamton, clear up into the late '70s... wow, what a sight!

This makes me want to get out the Lionels that've been packed away since the kids left!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:18:01 AM »

Quote from: Sjak Brak
Escalating costs on public transportation projects, sounds very Dutch :)

But I always like the look of (especially) older trains, stations, and stuff related to it. Its the same charm as an old car with faded paint and some rusty spots, but still doing the job nicely.

They spend too much time making this stuff idiot proof instead of educating idiots.   MMMMM that would be a pretty big order. . . .
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

As I learned from the wind project, engineers can over cost a project with allot of unnecessary engineering.

Look at how simple the work was in the 20's, through the 50's.  Stuff is still being used.  George Washington Bridge, Empire State Building, to name a couple.  And the stuff they have been building later is being torn down and being rebuilt.

[/QUOTE]

Why do you think this next election is so important?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »

They're amongnst us
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC