MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie here....  (Read 4751 times)

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »

The two are most likely different length and diameter, yes, but the process to create a replacement for the front is still the same, applied science, taking two things which are similar and adapting them to work. The reference has a square bushing and holder/clamped and welded casing and rod, just like yours, and it still bolts to the frame, you just have to build a strong enough rod and bracket to hold the same round with one flat side bushing around the swaybar. Same idea in both cases. Let me see if I can link to it.

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »

http://www.moparfins.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4349

Lots of pictures and about six or seven down is a little orange link with drawings I did. Same application and way to fix yours IF YOU CAN'T FIND ANY. I do imagine, given the way they are attached, the whole swaybar and rods all together is going to be best if you can get it, otherwise you have to do what this post shows because they don't make these bushings and rods any more.

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »

ill keep that in mind if i run into another broke link if i can get one done or from my friend. i got patience with this car.

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »

OK, plan on removing the other strut off with cutting and then cutting your old one off and clamping and welding the other one on. Welding underneath a car is never fun, patient or not.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »

You could buy a complete 1" sway bar and get it all.  Car will handle better anyway
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »

I'm not sure that would work, because the way this swaybar attaches, it is opposite attachment of the others. Unless there are hanging swaybars, you will have to tell me, while I go look at the pictures some more, but the normal swaybar attahces to the frame and the links are at the wheels, not the other way around.

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »

Won't work Steve, ends point the wrong way and they connect to the struts, not the lower control arms. It's either find a good swaybar with both the links on them, or use the good link to remanufacture two adaptable new links and upgrade to a bushing that exists, just like attkrfuly did. Same thing exactly, so, I hope his buddy has the whole thing for him, would really make all these posts just conversation, but as long as we get him fixed, great, right?

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »

Okay I'm back from my mini weekend with the gf, I picked up the part from my retired Police Officer friend... now heres the Sway bar linkage off from MY car... i havent taken it off yet...

now heres a pic of the sway bar linkage he gave me.. missing the clamps to hold the bushing in to hold onto the sway bar.. it would work!!! but now I'm stuck in another problem. do i cut off these bolts and weld them to the existing piece on my car?

opinions are WELCOME!!!

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »

See if you can get the other pieces from your buddy, these look like they are designed to be in place, then there is a tab that fits into the square hole, and the piece is designed to have a bolt through it that will tigheten and clamp onto the bushing as it is tightened. If he took them apart, even if the bolts are broken, that is an easy replacement. As thick as the metal is/has to be, it would require heat to bend to make them, but it would be best to use them as is and not do any cutting and welding, which could damage the rubber from the heat, which would be immense.

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »

This site has a bolt set but only works on chrysler 67 to 78. would this work or NO?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=11&partnum=K6629&a=FR11-K6629-169812

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

No, that is the other style I thought you had to begin with, more like 99 percent of the sway bars out there. See if you can get the other ends and the bushings no matter what condition they are in so you can ensure they match the strut itself.

Snotty

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 09:08:23 AM »

Quote from: birdman652001
now heres the Sway bar linkage off from MY car... i havent taken it off yet...

now heres a pic of the sway bar linkage he gave me.. missing the clamps to hold the bushing in to hold onto the sway bar.. it would work!!! but now I'm stuck in another problem. do i cut off these bolts and weld them to the existing piece on my car?

I looks to me like you should be able to use te links you picked up.  However, do not cut and weld them, use them as they are.

You will need to cut the original links off as you will never get them to come off of that sway bar, unless the bushings are totally shot.  As you can see in your picture your bar has the flat ends, not round ones. 

Now, you can re-use your original links, but you will need to seperate welds on the bottom of the link.

There is another option.  In '71 Chrylser added nuts/bolts to these links at the factory.  Up through '70 they are as in this picture.  If you can find a '71 and newer C body in a junk yard you can pull those links and use them with new busings.  No cutting or welding necessary! 
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »

Or maybe you have a fabricator that would brake out the bottom bracket.  That's what I would do, but I have the tools and equipment.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 01:12:54 PM »

Quote from: birdman652001
Okay I'm back from my mini weekend with the gf, I picked up the part from my retired Police Officer friend... now heres the Sway bar linkage off from MY car... i havent taken it off yet...

opinions are WELCOME!!!

Believe it or not those are the same links used on a mid to late 70's B-body, replaced them
on both the 78 Fury Salon and 79 Cordoba I had, but I used poly upper bushings on them, I even have a couple of links in the basement for my 67 Fury.

Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Snotty

I looks to me like you should be able to use te links you picked up.  However, do not cut and weld them, use them as they are.

You will need to cut the original links off as you will never get them to come off of that sway bar, unless the bushings are totally shot.  As you can see in your picture your bar has the flat ends, not round ones. 

Now, you can re-use your original links, but you will need to seperate welds on the bottom of the link.

okay, after searching for abit. i see they made two different kind of sway bars for the C body. one is a sway bar mounted to a Frame, and another one mounting from the Strut Bar. mines off from a Strut Bar. So this 71 B Body sway bar would work for a C body???

Quote from: furyman67

if you got some in your basement, mind taking a pic and post it up for me?  i can use all the photos i can get for references.  i would assume Cbody and B body were completely different as frame are designed differently. as Body were muscle car type of frames and C body were classic types such as 300s and new yorkers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC