MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie here....  (Read 4765 times)

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »

Hi, Newbie from South Dakota. I want to start off that I bought my Grandpa's 1966 Chrysler New Yorker at my Grandpa's Estate Auction. This is a car my mother grew up in and I bought it to keep it in my family. Some dude was wanting it for a Derby car. its too nice and history i have with it to be sold to get smashed up.

here's some photos. this is gonna be my BEFORE picture. I got plans to restore this car and make it look brand new ( I hope ) and keep it for the next 20-30 years if I live that long.

I got several things ordered to fix here and there, Sway Bar bushings, Motor mounts and tranny mounts.

I got a few questions, I need Sway bar Links... i cant seem to find it. is it included in a Sway bar bushings kit? I ordered a kit and its from Ingalls Engineering and looks like the bushings for it, however, I have one broke LINK that i need replace. What or where can I find a Link or is there a better way to replace this? I see theres some U mount kind of Links I probably could use that would work, but I kinda wanna keep it like its a Factory built rather than adding aftermarket stuff other than bushings I know I can't get OEM on or any other OEM parts.

On someone's picture in this post from a Google search, I seen they totally replaced the link and re did the structures and used a bolt instead of a OEM link style. any help or answer would be nice. thanks and I hope to be on this site as much as I can when Im home.
birdman6520012011-11-05 22:54:34

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »

Where are you in SD?   There's a yard I frequently buy from in Rapid City
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 04:49:07 PM »

Im from Central SD as in Winner, SD. My Uncle is in Rapid City and hes got an under going 1970 Cuda still restoration.  Yes I know I got a ways to go to get this suspension under control, for now, Im taking it easy on the the car. I got a guy who does my repaint jobs so hes gonna look at it tmr and give me an estimate, i got a guy gonna do the carb rebuild. Im thinking of replacing the intake to a Holley. I am gonna see what its gonna take for the A/C as well, either convert to R134 or keep it original style as R12 is gonna fade away and can not get it anymore.  All windows go up and down, my Antenna goes up and down. My grandpa had the seats vinyled cover at one point. I dunno who did it but they did an excellent job making it look like it was the actual seat covering although the original seat you can see is the arm rest. i got a ways to go, a sending unit is not working for the fuel guage. I can NOT find the Trip Reset button for the Tripmeter. pls help me. whats the black deal on my dash on the driver side, its got a day/night or day/evening deal switch???  the Light switch is shorting out so i got a new switch coming.  Im having this car for the rest of my life, so im in no hurry for it but i do want it done eventually when my kid gets older, go for a nice drive and turn heads with a stunning looking car.

we still have a 1959 Chrysler Imperial still for sale if anyone is interested. it runs, just has a clogged fuel line somewhere. pour gas in it and it'll run for 3-5 mins and then quit.  I have pictures if anyone is interested in seeing this car.

a 1941 Chrysler Royal Fluid Drive we had for sale but just got sold. I will call and i will need this stuff. I assume then to get a whole new sway bar to fix this??? should i do the rear sway bar as well?

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »

I just clicked that site, its up but didnt find the Sway bar on there, however i see the Sway bar bushings are the same as MOOG. i got mine from a Partstrain.com and they were cheaper, however i see they ripped me off on SHIPPING 14.00 and Handinging 10.00 so a whoping 24.00 on shipping. really? is this really that heavy? come on. the bushing set was 13.00, the motor mounts were from 3.00 each and tranny was 5.00 each. but okay... better than the prices i found on other sites.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »

You have to call them.  I gaurantee they won't charge you twice the freight costs.  LOL

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Word to thew wise

Watch what you buy from these sites.  A 3 dollar motor mount will not last long.  Made in China.

I never said Just Sus was cheap!  LOL.  I doubt those are Moog though.  Moogs quality has gone in the dumper.  I like to buy quality parts and do the job once.

well if they arent MOOG... then they did a damn good job of taking the SAME exact pic of MOOG's bushing set if the one on JustSuspension is different....

EDIT* just looked at my ordered from partstrain.com and its not a MOOG. its Ingalls Engineering Sway Bar Bushing set.

the motor mounts were Westar motor and tranny mounts. good or bad? i know they are cheap, but til i do an actual overhaul, then i will pour money into the suspension since usually on old cars like these, suspension takes a beating.

heres the LINK to the MOOGs bushing set...
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=203094
$13.32 for that set.

now heres JustSuspension.com's bushing set.
http://www.justsuspension.com/stabilizer-bar-bushing-15918.html
$31.11 for the set and same picture as MOOG's.
birdman6520012011-11-05 21:26:53

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »

The broken link you are talking about goes from the swaybar end to a bracket on the lower control arm, right?

If so, it should be a curved washer, a bushing, the swaybar end, a bushing, a curved washer, a steel tube, then curved washer, bushing, lower control arm bracket, bushing, curved washer and a long grade eight bolt going through the whole thing and a nut on the end . There's nothing really special about the bolt, just measure the opposite side and pick it up at the hardware store, most likely around eight inches, then you only have to find a metal tube to fill in between. This is how the aftermarket has been doing it for decades, otherwise the original one can be made from round stock and the ends machined and threaded so a nut fits on each end.

Nice '66 New Yorker, looks like it was kept in the garage during the winters. Congrats.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »

I was sending you to JS for the link assembly.  They had them, I've bought them

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »

okay call me dumb if this is what youre talking about... on the front of the anti sway bar, two links on there are bolted up to the a welded frame which i THINK that is attached to a wall of the fender or control arm, i havent looked closely, then the end of the sway bar goes down to two bars that come from the front to the A-frame.   are we on the same page or different? if not, i can take pictures as its in a garage at the farm.

yes... anything my gpa had that ran, sat inside even in the summer. it was never left outside over night. he had sheds all over the place. even had a 1930 Model A which sold at the auction for $10,000.00.   my Grandpa was a huge chrysler guy.

several chrysler windors, one 4 door and one 2 door
two 1941 Chrysler Royal coupe, one ran and one was a parts car
1959 Chrysper Imperial
1965 Newport
1966 New Yorker (my car now)
1971 Newport
1978 New Yorker
1956 Ford Customline 2 door, ran but needed a person to do a restoration.
several chevy cars that didnt run.

list goes on. even a rare find of a 1935 Ford truck flatbed that still runs! that was shedded as well!

Most of the cars he had needed paint jobs but the only one he kept good paint was 1930 ford and the 41 chrysler.

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

I was sending you to JS for the link assembly.  They had them, I've bought them

i did go there... found the sway bar link bushing site and perhaps maybe you have been buying the MOOG and didnt know it????

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

Quote from: dana44
The broken link you are talking about goes from the swaybar end to a bracket on the lower control arm, right?

If so, it should be a curved washer, a bushing, the swaybar end, a bushing, a curved washer, a steel tube, then curved washer, bushing, lower control arm bracket, bushing, curved washer and a long grade eight bolt going through the whole thing and a nut on the end . There's nothing really special about the bolt, just measure the opposite side and pick it up at the hardware store, most likely around eight inches, then you only have to find a metal tube to fill in between. This is how the aftermarket has been doing it for decades, otherwise the original one can be made from round stock and the ends machined and threaded so a nut fits on each end.

sorry... double reply on this...

but come to think of it.. its not a BOLT that goes up. its a bushing holder with a long bolt going up. no slide through bolt. it has a square bushing, with two smaller round bushing where the nut would hold.  so its a machined link. probably OEM linkage and never been changed. it looks like it has been broke for quite some time.  other side isnt and you can tell when the car sways alot when you turn left, but not right.

I will definately take pictures tmr and then go from there. thats teh best i can do to get this corrected and i dunno what to do to correct this til I overhaul the whole suspension next winter. i just wanna buy all this stuff and have it all paid for and ready for my next winter project. i dotn wanna buy new this and that... and waiting on other stuff. i will want to do it all at once and at a time where im not gonna drive the car, example, winter time.
birdman6520012011-11-05 22:46:59

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »

The upper and lower bushings I was talking about are definitely not Moog.  I got a year out of a set of Moog and going on year 4 with the just servers bushiings.  I know he has those made.  Best bushings I ever bought.  And I've done piles of them.  I even have the tools

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »

Yeah  those are the stabilizer links.  That's what I was talking about.  The kits I used ot get had the bushings in them.  Somewhere around here I have a bunch.

DUDE!! if you got the OEM links somewhere... let me know and i will buy some from you. I know the other one isnt looking good and should replace both of them. til then i can use that til i actually get a NEW bar and aftermarket linkages. but for now, i just want to do a simple fix as i got a kit coming and wanna do the linkage fix and re do the suspension next winter.

Jay

• View Profile
Newbie here....
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »

okay got pictures... then i got some maybe perhaps some of you can explain what it is and what it does...
I know my power steering is leaking. i found two loose clamps so tightened them up and then filled up the power steering.  

Stability bar linkage.

now to some that i need explaination on....

and i found this car has electric seat... WTF???  i didnt even know it! im telling ya, this car has been in my family for years and i didnt even know he had this car til i he had me drive it in the parade 3 years ago. reason why i bought it bc it drives and runs nice. no clunk when you put it in drive or reverse. it shifts smoothly.

birdman6520012011-11-06 13:53:04

Guests

Newbie here....
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »

OK, I forget there are a few different things on the Chryslers than the other Mopars of the era. This is the same style as the rear on the other one we were dealing with several months ago, isn't it? Strong setup, but a real pain in the rear to fix when they break.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC