MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1958 DeSoto heater core leak?  (Read 6102 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
1958 DeSoto heater core leak?
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »

My DeSoto Firesweep started leaking from the heater hose connection at the firewall last night. Thankfully it leaked down the outside of the firewall onto the ground....not into the interior (floor). The upper nipple must have a crack/rot hole in it. Anyways, I wound up bypassing it with a piece of copper pipe to connect it to the water pump return and had no leaks thereafter. Here's the heater hose route...From water pump to connection at firewall into heater core (under dashboard)....out from inner heater core to big horizontal plenum in engine bay (behind air cleaner) with attached blower. Out from this horizontal plenum back to water pump. My question is: Are there 2 heater cores?...and why would that be? Has anyone removed the heater core under the dash? Is it difficult?

Thanks, Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:22:16 AM »

What year Desoto is this again?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 08:26:03 AM »

As the title says!  Only one core on a 58 DeS if memory serves,
I'd just bypass it unless you intend to drive it in winter or rain/fog,
I usually do a bypass anyhow. I may need one myself one of these days!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »

Yes.  1 core.  It's accessable from under the hood.  The bottom bolts.  Should be under the sub cover

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:12:54 PM »

Bob, the '62 NY had a similar set-up, as did many Chryslers in the early '60s.  I thought the car had 2 cores too, but what I thought was the second in the NY was the heat control valve.  The coolant entered and exited the core, then went into the valve and right back out.  I'll bet that's the same with your 'Soto.

You can see the set-up in this picture.  The hoses on the upper left are the control valve.  It's actually just a loop inside the box.

It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »

Why is it the engine compartment looks much better now?  LOL
POLARACO2011-10-06 19:16:29

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm glad to know that the connection at the firewall (top left) is a heater control valve and not a heater core. The heater core is obviously in the long horizontal plenum behind the air cleaner then. Thanks Snotty...the photo you posted is very similar to my 58 DeSoto. I hope heater control valves are available! At least I can keep it bypassed until I find one...

Thanks again...you guys are  Here's a couple of photos for you to enjoy.

furyfever2011-11-22 11:29:35
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »

That's some collection Bob! Hadn't seen the '57 before... love that
Gold and White, gorgeous, and sooooo much better than yet another '58
Christine clone!!

Of you look at Pg. 1 of Steve's "Blue Diamond" thread there's a real
good pic of the '62 Chrysler heater box rear view dismounted from the
car showing some of the heater core...

firedome2011-10-07 08:40:31
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

Thanks Roger...I appreciate the kind words. After looking on e-bay for a heater control valve they look very pricey...They're anywhere from $200-400.00. Not me...not now 

Has anyone improvised in a way like this before? Couldn't I just put an inline shutoff (from the local hardware store) and then go directly to the heater core with the hose?...In the summer shut the flow off and in the fall turn the flow back on (when I want heat)? I'd just have to go under the hood to turn the heat on...Then just the heater control (slide bar) in the car wouldn't be operational. The stock heater control valve just shuts off the flow right?...and it's hooked up to the slide bar on the heater control I presume... 

Guests

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »

You should be able to use a newer one. Find out what makes it operate, usually a cable or electric, figure cable, so that when the AC is turned on, or when the heater slide bar is in the cold air position, it is sliding the valve closed. If you have a picture we can look at, sure one of us could get you in the right direction to look at for make and model.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »

Nice cars Bob.

Good luck on that valve.  Mine was stuck which was why I pulled it, but it did not leak.  After some lube and a little massage it worked great. 
It's green here in Chico!!

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »

Do a search for "Heater Control valve" on e-bay...there are a ton of different options out there.  Pull your existing one and see if you can find something that will work.  Shouldn't be too hard.  Leave the $400 control valve for those people who HAVE to have an original part. 

Me I'll take a more modern, easy to find part, that is a fraction of the cost, and still functions the same, any day.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »

I finally got some time last night to pull the heater control valve out of the car. At first glance, the valve mechanism seemed to work well...I blew into the inlet and worked the valve lever and it shut off almost all of the flow of air. I though it was in good shape except for the copper nipples. They were bent up a bit and initially I thought "well...that's why it's leaking". I was able to straighten them out very nicely so I brought it to work today to pressure test it....but it leaked like a sieve from the backside. So I guess I'll need to get this one rebulit or find a a similar one that will work. I saw a guy that rebuilds them on the net...JC Auto Restoration, Inc. Looks like this one will be $145.00.

http://www.jcauto.com/heater.html

furyfever2011-10-19 14:13:29

Guests

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »

Is it leaking along a seam that could be soldered to seal it or would that be an impossibility?

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Is it leaking along a seam that could be soldered to seal it or would that be an impossibility?

No...It looks like it's leaking from the backside of the valve...The copper tubes look good- no holes or cracks. I'm thinking there's an old, cracked or worn seal/o-ring/washer inside of the valve.

furyfever2011-10-19 15:44:22

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC