MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Body letter designations.  (Read 1213 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Body letter designations.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 07:43:10 AM »

Quote from: The White Hat
  The 2nd letter denoted model, such as  L for lowline (like Newport or Polara or Monaco depending on year)

The Newport is an "E" for "economy."  I can't speak for the Polaras, etc. 

It is my understanding that the letters made it easy to denote the size of a car: Small = A, Medium = B, Large = C.  It is also my understanding that the Imperial was considered a D because the frame and drivetrain was so much beefier than a C.  Therefore, when they introduced a new body in '70 it was the next letter in the alphabet, E.  This would also explain the next new body, F - Volare and Aspen.

This will not explain the M Body though.

It is also my understanding that these designations started in '62 with the introduction of the new, smaller Dodge, especially the Dart becomming a compact.  "C" began in '65 with the fully new body and interior for the Newport/New Yorker etc.  The '63s were, indeed, different from the '62 externally, but the rest of the car remained basically the same.

This is my answer to the original question.  Where I read this or who told me is long forgotten.
It's green here in Chico!!

Guests

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:05 AM »

It may have initially been thought that way, but the engineers and designers were the main users of the designations prior to them actually making it into production.  The A, B, C thing does OK until you start getting into the newer designs and things change, because for some reason (sequential lettering actually), the K car means FWD, then the cloud cars were P cars, but yes, still ended up with the F, M, J, in between, but not all were used, meaning some platform/designs could have made it to the testing design stage and then given up on later.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 11:56:33 AM »

Several experts quoted in Bob's link say there was no actual D, but perhaps it became a shorthand for Imp.  Was the Imp drivetrain beefier than a C?... ie take 71 Imp vs71  NYer for example. I generally take drivetrain to mean engine & transmission. 440 and TF the same. If axles & brakes are also included,  I think rear axle/internal gears were the same,  brakes? Slightly longer driveshaft perhaps? Front brakes/hubs/wheels?  Body: Front subframe? Rear frame rails were built into the trunk floor. Don't have the part #s to compare, all I have is the CD,  a royal PITA to look stuff up on.

In '62 the Dart became a mid-size 116, dropping 2" from the '61 Dart. In '63 the Dart name was put on the re-vamped Lancer, at 111" a true (but growing) compact, and the mid-size platform was bumped back up to 119".

firedome2011-09-07 17:05:45
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »

Prior to 1967, Imperial, which was initally considered by Ma Mopar as a brand (Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, DeSoto, Jeep later on, and Ram now), and in 1967 she fell in line with the C bodies, according to the link I added talking about them, Allpar tends to get actual interviews from "those who were there" at times.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 01:33:06 PM »

The Imp, even when part of the C Body line, i.e. 1970, used a different driveshaft and steering components than the NY, 300, or Newport.  It was always a bit tougher than all other Mopars. 
The '64-'66 Imps were still body on frame cars, unlike all other Mopars of the same years and had the strongest frames of any car built at the time, which was why they were favorites in derby crashes... er... races.   They were just beasts.

Same car or different than a C, they were always built better/stronger.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »

[/QUOTE]

If you have access to one, look at a '70 Service Manual.  It's there that the Imp difference really stands out - especially in the front end.  Note the two u-joints on the driveshaft as well.  The cars are similar yet different at the same time.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »

My 1973 Imperial is the same as any 70's C body Mopar......I go to NAPA and ask if they have some part I need for it and they say no.......

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »

That's fine Bob, but the '70 Manual still depicts different parts for the Imp than is does for other Chryslers.  What's your point? 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »

I have to disagree.  The imperial was based on a C Body back in 1967.  The changes were bol;t on adders
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I have to disagree.  The imperial was based on a C Body back in 1967.  The changes were bol;t on adders

Isn't that also about the time they started referring to them as Chrysler Imperials, too?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
That's fine Bob, but the '70 Manual still depicts different parts for the Imp than is does for other Chryslers.  What's your point? 

my point is :remove the words Imperial and C body and insert Corvair, Edsel, Studebaker, Rambler, etc....maybe I should have put a and a after my point....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

C Body in '67 was uni-body.  Imps through '68 were body-on-frame.  Not the same cars.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 07:57:06 PM »

Something else just came to mind.  '67-8 C Body wheelbase: 123.5"  Imp: 127"  Not the same cars fellas.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »

Quote from: dana44
Isn't that also about the time they started referring to them as Chrysler Imperials, too?

'69

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »

Correction: the first year unit body Imp was model year 1967. 
C-body wheelbases came in various sizes of 119, 120, 122, 124 and 127
etc over the years. Semantics aside, the Imp from '67 year was a
modified C platform with extended driveshaft to accomodate the extra 3"
, 2 pc joints for better vibration control, and mods to the front
subframe and other changes to decrease NVH. Some individual parts were
unique and heavier duty to acoomodate the extra weight and to add
luxury, but it's still a modified C platform as the quoted ex-Chrysler
guys make clear... the point being Imp did not have it's own unique
platform after 1966. All the rest was marketing.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC