MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 89 318 starting issue  (Read 641 times)

Mark

• View Profile
89 318 starting issue
« on: August 29, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »

ragtopfury2011-08-29 09:41:42
Jake's A body will fit in my C body's trunk!

Guests

89 318 starting issue
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:30:03 AM »

The 89 Shelby Dakota is a completely stock 318 from that year, so there isn't anything special in that manner to worry about (I did some research on one about a year ago trying to buy one, but it was in bad mechanical shape), so do a verify of fuel being pumped, disconnect the fuel line and stick the end of the line into a Mason jar, see if it is coming out first. Just turn the key on for about three seconds, you should have about a third of a cup in that time. There should also be a fuel filter on the frame right under the driver's seat locationwise to check.

Mark

• View Profile
89 318 starting issue
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:57:13 AM »

Seeing how it will start and run just fine with a shot of juice, I didn't even think about the fuel filter.... it is now on my list of checks....although that pea between my ears says it shouldn't keep running.... thanks

Guests

89 318 starting issue
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »

After rereading your post that she runs after you get her started, it may be dried out seals/gasket in the throttle body, where once she is started and there is a strong vacuum pulling on the TB, it may pull enough fuel and run fine. I think the fuel pressure is either 7.5psi or 14psi.

http://www.airtexproducts.com/AIRTEXpdfs/Airtex_TTS_09.pdf

Check this out, some real good diagnostic points for fuel pressure and fuel related hoses and sensors.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
89 318 starting issue
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »

When you first hit the starter, the injectors are supposed to give it a shot of fuel.  Pretty odd that it would run fine otherwise.

I have a place down in Georgia that I reccommend for refurbished injectors.  Send me a PM if you want it.  That way I am sure to see it.

Steve
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Mark

• View Profile
89 318 starting issue
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:32:59 AM »

Between the strike, hurricane, another week of monsoon type rains, earthquakes.... Work has finally slowed down enough that I tinkered with it the other day....  Turns out I overlooked the obvious. My 69 ragtop had sat for 9 years and ran on the old gas when I dragged her home.... the Shelby sat for 5 or 6 years - dumped the tank, cleaned it, fresh gas and  varoooom......  go figure.

Also removed the windshield because the surface rust on the roof has crept in past the moulding.... I then thanked my sone for bringing the 65 B'cuda home which has me doing the Shelby first....  After removing the windshield and cleaning up the frame in which it sits, some minor rust holes had started....   Another year or two of neglect and it would have been real bad.... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC