MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Gas Gauge Is On The Bum  (Read 696 times)

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
My Gas Gauge Is On The Bum
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »

Can anyone help me out with my gas gauge  issues Please.This past weekend while on a cruise My gas gauge in my 1941 chrysler royal started acting up.First time I looked at it, it was fine ,next time it was past the full.Wasnt long when it came back to normal and then sometime later down below empty it went.This basically took place all day and now it is staying below the empty.I checked at the tank for a ground and it seems fine  and the other connection at the tank looks fine also .I really dont know what to check for other that the ground.Any help would be appreciated.

Guests

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »

Ground the wire to the sending unit and watch the gauge, see if it moves to the full side. This alleviates the problem being the gauge itself. If that checks out, do a double-check of the ground by trying to ground to another body location just to make sure it hasn't been lost (I know you said you checked this, so your call). After that, time to drop the tank and check the float, arm, and sending unit itself. Keep us informed of what you find out, more than likely it is inside the tank.

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »

When you say ground the wire to the sending unit ,what wire are you speaking of. There are 2 wires on the sending unit.I am assuming you mean the noneground wire.

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »

Ok since my last post I went out to the garage and  ran a coupe of tests. If I ground the second wire to the sending unit as suggested , The gas gauge goes up to 7/8 on the guage.This is the highest it has ever gone when the car is full of gas. Second test was to connect the 2 wires on the sending unit together and I got the same results so my ground must be ok as with the guage I guess. I removed the float and attached the 2 wires on it and moving it up and down I get no signal to my guage.So are we safe to assume I need a sending unit and float combo? thanks for the help.

Guests

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »

At this point, the sending unit removal may shed a little more light on the subject, meaning it could be the float, the arm, or the sending unit itself, or a combo thereof, but at least you know it isn't the ground and it isn't the gauge or wiring. I am understanding you removed the sending unit and moving the wire up and down does nothing, meaning it is the sending unit itself. Not sure how much of these can be taken apart, but there should be some kind of rheostat, where the movement increases and decreases the resistance going through it, and the contact is usually a little piece of copper on an arm that slides against a spring resistance wire, like a headlight rheostat on the dash light dimmer. Good chance the copper contact has finally worn through or fallen off. It went high and then dropped most likely when it came off and shorted resistance full blast, then rattled apart and died (I assume).

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:21:33 AM »

On my 2 wire sending unit ,Is one ground or do I have to run a seperate ground and attach it to the sending unit when I have it out of the tank to test it?

Guests

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »

Good question. I don't have a wiring diagram, but, look at the wiring in the car and see if you can easily trace one to the sending unit (pretty obvious following it a couple feet, color can be checked at the gauge), and see if the other one bolts to the body somewhere nearby.

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »

From info I gathered this morning the 2 wires are 1=  the hot and the other = the pulse line running back to the guage. I ran a seperate ground and the guage goes up and down  but it is defenitely not reading acturite.I installed the unit back in the tank and it now works but like I said ,it is reading al\\ biy high.I might order a new unit anyhow. Thanks for the help

Guests

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »

Sounds reasonable, wish I knew more about them, but at least you have a rough idea and we did prove what is bad.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »

So Steve, how is the trip, and where were you on this trouble-shoot?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »

Besides for blowing a turbo boot, it was fine.

Guests

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »

Able to fix it on the road, or did you limp home?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »

Road side repair.  In the middle of nowhere too.  I limped to a true value and got a couple of screw clamps.  Been good since
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC