MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.2 misfire..  (Read 418 times)

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
5.2 misfire..
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »

I had the check engine light come on while I was idling in a parade and again last week. It goes away after about 50 miles.

I went into a parts store and had them read the codes. It said i had a misfire in #7 cylinder..

Since I already put in plugs and wire.. I bought a cap and rotor.

The rotor was very worn in comparison to the new one. Also one corner of the end rotor was burned and indented.. the entire end had a white substance up both side from the end towards the middle.

All the terminals in the cap had a white substance on them..

I assume they are original since the wire and cap where original before I changed them a month ago. 85 000 miles

I am think of spark scatter or an arc jumping the gap making the burnt part on the end of the rotor..

I don't know how well you can see this pic but here is the rotor..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
5.2 misfire..
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »

Up here near cannuckville, but didn't cross over this year.  Staying on the states this year
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

5.2 misfire..
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 04:25:19 PM »

Yep, aluminum oxide from electrical ozone production. Since it is essentially metal, electricity passes along the shortest distances between two points, which does not mean that excessive electricity will continue along the oxide arc to another cylinder and misfire. Should fix the problem.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
5.2 misfire..
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »

I haven't taken it for a big drive yet but if the cap/rotor doesn't clear up this issue then for sure it has to be an injector.

Thanks.. I didn't think about that as a possible issue. At least I know which cylinder is the problem one..

Why would it do it at idle? If I leave the truck running for more than 5 minutes it would trip the service engine...

Also the ABS light came up online with the brake light.. I thought it would trip a code on the computer but no codes for the ABS came up when we pulled up the codes... is there a plug on the rear end like on the old Rams that could have came loose and tripped the ABS light?

Jason

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
5.2 misfire..
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 05:51:00 AM »

Go on some dirt and lock the brakes up.  See if there is a wheel that is different.  You probably only have rear ABS so it's easier to find.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
5.2 misfire..
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »

grrr.. those lights are bright..I wish a code search would just tell me which part died... I hate trouble shooting.

Jason

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
5.2 misfire..
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 06:47:01 AM »

From what I have read it is probably the rear speed sensor... the speedo doesn't work until I'm at 40 kph...and the the sensor shows an open circuit with the multi meter... GRRRRRRR

off to the parts store..

Jason

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
5.2 misfire..
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »

It was the speed sensor in the rear axle that set off the abs/brake lights.... Everything was good for 10 minutes until the rear brake line broke..grrrrrrrrrr.
Jason

Guests

5.2 misfire..
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »

OOOOO, that sucks. Too bad it isn't a first gen Dakota, I have a set of lines I am going to scrap from my old truck and they are PERFECT. Heck, the cab is perfect and I am going to cut it up, not even any surface rust on it. Anyway, the way the computer works, from what I have learned, the misfires are counted and when it reaches a threshold, as in number of misses per minute, or number of misses in a row, or number of misses over a period of time, it will set the code for misfire. The computer can tell if it is a specific cylinder (in your case, one cylinder misfiring to another), and give a code. If it is a misalignment of cam and crank, then it will show up as intermittent misfire, no specific cylinder given. The computer can tell you if it is an injector, as there would be a change in the pulse to the firing and there you have it, bad injector. 

Too many electronics to go bad, give me the old mechanical methods, and as far as brakes go, if the car is pulling too  much in one direction, time to fix the adjustment on it, period.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC