MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Break Up IN stereo  (Read 731 times)

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
Sound Break Up IN stereo
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »

Hi everyone . I am new to this great site and this is my first attempt at trouble shooting . My problem is with my 1941 Chrysler Royal with a 6 volt positive ground system.I installed a cd player in the car ,independent of all electrical.I mounted it in a wooden box and ran all wires to a 12 volt battery in the trunk.When the engine is off it works excellent ,but when I start the car the sound in the speakers cuts in and out badly.I am not picking up engine static either.Doesnt matter if I use the radio or cd player.  The antenae is not touching the body either.I use an MP3 player in the car and have no issues.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »

I might suggest you get a small inverter from 6V to 12V.  They make them for 6V + Grounds.  I am sure I have a new one two for my 51.  I don't have the guy I bought them from with me, I am away.  But I may have something in the files I have.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »

I may be way out to lunch on this, but the MP3 may work because there aren't any moving parts and runs directly through the head of the player, wheras the tuner radio can get interference (may be the speakers themselves that need to be isolated from the body), and the CD player is laser digital and moves, which may pick up interference. Are the speakers attached to the body, or are they in wooken boxes, also? That's the only thing I can think of.

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

The speakers are lying in the dip between the rear window and the rear seat .There is absolutely nothing touching the body.It actually knocks the sound out completely most of the time . No engine noise at all. I am very familiar with engine noise issues but this is definetly knocking the sound right out as soon as the engiine fires upI will remove the stereo tomorrow and use one speaker with the unit lyng on the front seat and the battery out side the car.I will eliminate all of my wiring to see what happens.thanks for the input and I will get back to you all with my findings.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »

I was talking about RF noise.  Generator syestems are noisey devils. 

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »

Ok I have trouble shot this system from one end to the other. When the radio is playing  I defenitely pick up some engine sound but on cd mode nothing . As far as the sound breaking up I have iliminated it to EMF.Electrical Magnetic Frequency. If I keep the speaker wires away from the firewall I have no issues. Anyone have any ideas as to overcome the EMF issue. Thanks for all the input.

Gary Buckley

• View Profile
Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:54:38 AM »

Polaraco I would be very interested in the inverter if you have the info Thanks Gary

Guests

Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »

If the wires not touching the firewall, then plastic sheathing tubing, you know the stuff that all the engine wires run in these days, or, a stop down to your local electronics shop might be able to tell you what you need to prevent the interference, such as coaxial cable or fat stuff (it's like 12gauge speaker wire with four times the insulation surrounding it).

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sound Break Up IN stereo
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »

Quote from: cattmann
Polaraco I would be very interested in the inverter if you have the info Thanks Gary

[color=#ccff00" size="3" face="Consolas]Chevs of the 40's[/color]

[color=#ccff00" size="3" face="Consolas]1605 NE 112th St.[/color]

[color=#ccff00" size="3" face="Consolas]Vancouver, WA 98686[/color]

[color=#ccff00" size="3" face="Consolas]800-999-CHEV (2438)[/color]

[color=#0000ff" size="3" face="Consolas]www.chevsofthe40s.com[/color][/url]

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC