MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need new fuel pump recommendations (funny story)  (Read 1914 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
I need new fuel pump recommendations (funny story)
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:25:22 AM »

Hey, all.  I Just got back from Carlisle and now I need some help.  File this story under: "This is why I can't have nice things."

So Wanda and I entered the display for judging for the first time ever, and turns out she won 2nd place in her category!  Which was awesome because there were quite a few REALLY nice cars.  So on Sunday, after going to the winner's corral for the morning, I line up in the parade and head down to the photo station in front of the stands.  Other than the fact that it's hot and taking forever, everything seems to be going well and I'm enjoying the buzz of being lumped in with a stunning array of beautiful cars.  And then....

....Wanda dies in formation.  The engine RPMSs dropped really low and then she just cut out and wouldn't start back up.  Even better still, it happened at the bottle-neck RIGHT before getting to the grandstands.  So in front of everyone, the Carlisle staff had to move a few cars that were on the side and help me push her out of the way so the parade could continue, since there was no room for anyone to get around me.

*sigh* 

I think it's a fuel delivery problem and I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump.  With the car dead on the side of the road I was pumping the throttle, trying to start her up, but no gas was coming out of the jets.  I even removed the cap to make sure it wasn't vapor lock.  The maintenance staff had some starting fluid and she fired up and ran okay - but I didn't want to risk stalling out again even closer to the photo station, or worse - not being able to get home that night - so I just left the event.

The thing is, it was A NEW PUMP that I installed only 3K ago!!!!  It was either an AC Delco or a Bosch pump.  But the point is, I can't believe it failed so early.  And, for God's sake, why did it have to fail RIGHT THERE, RIGHT THEN?   

So who makes a good fuel pump?  Seriously, after that debacle, I don't care what it costs - I want to know a really reputable and RELIABLE pump manufacturer's name so I don't have to worry about if the pump I buy "was built on a Monday."

attkrlufy2011-07-11 09:26:10
1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:50:34 AM »

How'd you get home?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:17:25 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Probably a check valve got stuck sloshing the fuel back and forth in the lines.
Not sure I understand that.  Isn't the check valve in (or near) the tank to prevent the unwanted movement of gas in a rollover.....or something to that effect?

How'd you get home?
Driving home I had to keep my RPMs up, so I didn't let her idle too much.  I'd shift into N at a light and rev the engine or shift into 2 or 1 at low speeds.  When I had to stop (like at the fill-up station), I didn't linger too long so as to make sure there was enough gas in the line for the engine to catch since - with the engine off - pumping the gas gets no fuel to the carb.  If it turns out to be the pump, then it's dying, not dead.

As it was, there was one time at 65mph when I thought she was going to quit on me again.  But I started pumping the throttle hard and that fixed things.

I guess it's at the point where without high RPMs and/or line vacuum the pump just can't get enough fuel to the carb.  For the past three weeks the car has been REALLY hard to start if I haven't been driving it for a while.  I'd have to mash the throttle ten or twelve times and really put my foot down for the engine to catch.  I thought that was a bad choke.  But I'm guessing now that it was a sign the pump's starving the carb for fuel.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »

They're all junk these days.  And that is not unheard of.
What about Holley?  Aren't they still made in the states?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-838/

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »

There are check valves in the pump to prevent back flow when it's in between strokes of the diaphram.  May have gotten a piece of crap in it.  But you can't open it to service it.  That's the second one this weekend from Carlisle.  My buddy Pete had the same thing.  He has a 66 Bergandy 300 Vert with white interior.  The one steve mentioned before.  His was a rebuilt carter I believe.  But those are the ones you can rebuild

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »

I think some of the Carter pumps are rebuildable...

Here is a great deal from Mancini Racing in Michigan

Carter Fuel Pump

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »

Yup

Since I wrote my last response, I learned the other guy got his pump from Mancini

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361
Here is a great deal from Mancini Racing in Michigan:

Carter Fuel Pump
Am I nuts or is the pump listed for $109.00, yet at the very bottom of the page it says the M6902 retails for $99.95? 

Also, the spec on this pump's line pressure says it's 5.5-6.5 psi - but I seem to recall a stock small block fuel pump puts out about 7.5 psi of pressure.  Is this going to make a difference if I buy this pump and my line pressure is a bit lower?

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »

A Carter Super pump, had one on my 78 Fury Salon and after the car was killed by my brother I put it on my 79 Cordoba, never had a problem, Airtex is a crap shoot, I had 3 on the 78 Fury before I went to the Carter, and all 3 leaked at the top where the 2 halves where put together.
   Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:04:12 AM »

Dom, why not consider installing an electric pump, lots of old car guys do that conversion and virtually all new cars have them... or have one installed as a back up to the mechanical one.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »

Carter is my vote. If you want stock look, I think that if the arm is disabled that fuel will still go through the pump itself without having to alter anything.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 03:09:17 AM »

Quote from: firedome
Dom, why not consider installing an electric pump, lots of old car guys do that conversion and virtually all new cars have them... or have one installed as a back up to the mechanical one.
Truthfully, Roger, the less I have to add new wiring to a car, the better I like the "fix."  I know it's probably not hard to do - I just tend to prefer parts that are purely "mechanical" than ones that rely on something invisible (and unknown to me) like electricity.

Guests

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »

It's one single wire that you can route off the back of the fuse block that is on key on only, run it right along with the wiring harness used for the tail lights and fuel tank sending unit  wire, and even run it through the grommet for the fuel sending unit in the floor board to prevent punching another hole, and mount it right in front of the fuel tank above the axle.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 04:56:43 AM »

Agree with Carter... for some reason electric pumps seem to be more reliable. Simple to rig.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC