MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: No start....  (Read 7383 times)

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

Carbs apart, bowl is filled with a greenish crusty residue, main check ball was stuck, brass valve that the float controls is sticky, and all this crusty stuff is on the bottom of the floats!
1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »

Yep, part of the reason why I said to pull the top off and take a look, check the float level in the beginning, would have found it and she would have at least forced to you take the carb off and clean it before driving home.  Hard to say what the green gunk is, brass will do it, but moisture and moss formation in a dark and dank place may be what it really is.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »

How do I clean the jets out?

Dave
1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »

Take a screwdriver to them to unscrew them, use a plastic stick and carb cleaner to it. Spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner with the straw through the hole until you see fluid coming out of the other side, then stick the straw through the jet hole and watch the barb/brake cleaner come out another location in the carb to ensure it is clear. The plastic stick should not alter the size of the hole and not scratch the brass.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »

That green stuff is algae.  Years ago that would be brown.  Now we have methanol to deal with.  Completely disassembe the carb, soak it in some solvents.  You can get a gallon of Laquar thinner at Lowes.  Then soak it in lemon juice to make it look factory new.  Wash and blow out when done.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2012, 07:40:04 PM »

Friendly machine shop who rents shop space from my employer offered to clean out carb body for me for free, they said they have the stuff to do it.  Jets are out, one deformed slightly in the screwdriver slot.  That going to hurt anything? carrman2012-01-15 00:40:43
1968 Newport Convertible

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »

Can you snap a pic?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

No start....
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »

As long as the hole isn't damaged it won't hurt a thing, that part doesn't control flow and your speed/volume isn't fast enough to matter.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »

Yeah, I can snap one.

1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »

Cool pictures. The bottom picture, see that stainless piece with the two rods hanging off of them and disappear in a couple little brass pieces (I believe they are hex headed), need to be pulled off and apart and out, so, the brass stuff, try putting it is a little bowl of vinegar for 20 minutes and then wash off. It works really well with copper, these are brass, but the vinegar won't hurt them. Your jet tops are just fine, they are definitely not messed up at all. Otherwise carb or brake cleaner in a spray can (they are the same stuff, don't let anyone tell you they are different by enough to cause a problem, brake stuff is usually cheaper in a can), laquer thinner is very good, and if by some rare chance you find a Dupont store and can find a gallon of 3924S Gun and Equipment cleaner, this is the best most superior stuff that leaves no residue whatsoever, but it is pretty volatile, and a little rough on the hands if you use it too much, pulls all the oils out of your hands, but it sure does clean parts well. Tends to evaporate kind of fast, kind of like ether, good for transmissions, carbs, small motors and things that need good cleanings.
As far as cleaning the inside, nylon brush so as not to disturb any anodizing on the inside, if there is any.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »

I'm taking the large parts of the carb to an automotive machine shop for clean out tomorrow.  All the little brass pieces have been soaked in a small bottle of carb cleaner, and cleaned up with some 4 ought steel wool.  Not very aggessevely mind you, but enough to make them shony and smooth after removing the gunk.  I'm debating on where or not I want the venturi cluster to be boiled out or not.  It's looks really decent already, so I'm leaning toward not.
1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »

If the parts come apart, take them apart, you can't psychically tell what is inside them, so why chance it? I am actually talking about the front side of the venturii themselves, there is a stainless bracket with a screw to the upper left side that holds a barrel valve with a spring underneath it, possibly a check ball, then the two rods and those brass needle jets, the level of them has the crud line above where the needles go into the two jets, so again, who knows what is inside that could plug something up. The more chemicals flowing through drilled passages the size of pencil lead the better, I never trust them whether or not I think they are OK, it doesn't take any extra parts to do it, but it will make you feel better that a hole with a needle sticking in it to control a certain amount of fuel going in, cleanliness is next to godliness, right?

Steel wool to clean things off is fine, small brass wire or nylon toothbrush is good, too.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

What I'm talking about is this:

1968 Newport Convertible

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »

Someone mentioned cleanliness?

1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »

Look at the three pictures you posted on the previous page, the bottom one shows the venturii (above picture) and in front of it is a stainless steel batwing with a black screw in the top left corner of it, and at the end of the batwings are two needles that go through brass needle jets (smaller than stock main jets). Under the center of the batwings is a barrel valve, a spring and possibly a checkvalve. This valve is vacuum operated and needs to be cleaned, the accelerator pump is forward of it in the picture (the big hole in front of it).  Undo the screw holding the stainless steel batwing and the two needles going from the wings to the bottom of the fuel bowl, then remove those two jets there, they are hex headed.

dana442012-01-15 16:00:20
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC