MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: No start....  (Read 8347 times)

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »

Ok, we started running on the gas in the tank, but only for about 10 seconds or so at a time.  I figured the fuel bowl was filling slowly and the running out.  After fighting this for a while, I decided to pop in a fresh fuel filter, but that made no change.  My boss then came over and heard the car and then decided we'd pour some more gas in the carb.  It of course ran it out and died.  It kept trying to fire, and he felt it was smelling rich.  He then got in and began cranking, all the while madly pumping the throttle pedal.  He was able to keep it running for a few minutes, the when it died got it going again right away, and after a  few minutes more she stayed running.  He kept his foot on the gas for about another 5 minutes and then let off, and it went to a really civilized idle.  We let it run and get fully warmed up, but we noticed that if you are to aggressive with the throttle she gasps for fuel.  My boss said the accelerator pump is either stuck, or bad from the bad gas.  It's kinda driveable as is to get it home, but that dead battery makes it a moot point for now, because if it dies while driving, it's not restarting.    So, I'm going over to it tomorrow and strating it, and giving it some shots of Berryman carb cleaner to see if the accel pump will unstick, otherwise the carb overhaul kit is in my posession now.  But, it runs, and I was able to run it up and down the driveway at my work, felt it shift into 2nd and 3rd, and all felt right with the world.  I backed it back into the parking place for easier access than when it was turned around, and shurt her down.

1968 Newport Convertible

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2011, 03:18:22 PM »

Well it starts with a lot less effort now, but the big dead spot remains when giving it gas.  Carb rebuild time.
1968 Newport Convertible

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2011, 05:03:16 PM »

Kudos to your boss for being aggressive with it.  Don't be afraid of doing that stuff.  You can't hurt. . . . . .  . much.  LOL 
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »

My boss used to have his own classic car restoration shop, and he's a Mopar man.  Took me for a ride in his new 392 Hemi Challenger.....  Pinned my ears back!  He's  not a C-body guy, but recognizes the Newport for what it is, and it's somewhat rare nature.  Would you believe it's only got 63,000 on it?
1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »

Glad to hear she is goind better, and yes, there are two types of accelerator pumps. One is rubber, like a wheel cyinder plunger, the other is leather. Hard to say which one is inside, but they do take a bit to get unstuck when they shrink up. As Steve said, hard to hurt anything as long as they have oil really. Once the warm up, water at a minimum to cool it. Glad to hear she shifts.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »

Needs a battery to bring it home.  Not tring to drive it without a new one, because if it stalls it's not restarting, and I know it's going to stall a few times on the way home.  After the battery, trans seal needs replaced, and radiator need serviced.  Then off it goes for new dual exhaust.
1968 Newport Convertible

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »

Well it decided for me tonight it's not coming home under it's own power until I deal with the carb.  Just won't stay running long enough.
1968 Newport Convertible

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2011, 08:02:29 PM »

Bummer

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »

Never let a car sit.........  Not for 2 and a half years.
1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »

Doesn't matter how long they sit or don't sit, things happen. Diagnose and fix/repair as necessary, bring her back to life. She already runs and goes up and down the road so a carb problem is a couple hours rebuild/fix, then on to the other priorities, like dual exhaust.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »

They make these things with cables, big flat places and big tires on them for moving Old cars.  They're usually driven by a redneck with a beard and missing teeth.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

But that's admitting defeat!!!!  And yes, I am priorotizing what needs to be done, and believe me, the dual exhaust isn't a priority.  It comes after it runs consistantly and reliably, and the trans and radiator leaks are squared away.  Then the fun things can be done to it.
1968 Newport Convertible

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2011, 02:01:35 PM »

try closing the choke part way and see if the engine RPM goes up ot stabilizes.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »

I drove it home.  I've got a bad distributor cap.  Seems the coil wire contact inside the cap is stuck, and nearly flush with the cap.  I bent the rotor contact up to touch it, and it started.  Surged and had flat spots in acceleration, but it ran well enough to cruise home at 60.....
1968 Newport Convertible

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »

Well maybe not, new distributor caps are the same way.  I don't under stand why messing with the rotor made it run, but it did.  Now it's hoome, and isn't starting again...... Sigh.
1968 Newport Convertible
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC