MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: No start....  (Read 7682 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 08:35:12 AM »

Pull a spark plug or two and take a peak.  Wire brush it
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 10:20:16 AM »

Big advantage I have is the battery cart.  4 group 31 batteries in parallell on a trickle charger all the time, with really swell welding cable jump cables hardwired in.  Not much it won't start!  I also figure a shot or two from the "can of influence" will help also.
1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »

Keep us informed, waiting with baited breath!!!!!!

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »

Newport beat me this time.  Not getting gas to the carb.  Car is pointed uphill, was nearly out or out of gas, and I've added all of 5 gallons.  Drop a little gas down the carb and she runs till it's gone, and then she dies.  Is it possible I don't have enough gas in the tank to cover the fuel pickup on the tank since she's pointing uphill?
1968 Newport Convertible

Guests

No start....
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »

No, five gallons on a slight uphill should work, more than likely the needle for the float is stuck in the closed position.  You can fill the carb through the air vent and maybe a little gas on it will break it loose, or, remove the top and make sure the needle moves up and down. Gotta pull the pin for the float to get to the needle, but if you fill the carb with fuel through the vent at least you would be able to see if the accelerator pump will squirt fuel. Have you checked the fuel getting to the carb by removing the fuel line right at the carb and turn her over to see if fuel will pump into a GLASS jar or bottle? That first will verify it isn't the fuel pump.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »

It does take a while to pump gas up from an empty tank.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »

Could it have lost a fuel pump just because it sat?  How do I get it to run longer?  All I get is 5 or 6 seconds and she dies.  Then when I crank again she tries to start but won't quite do it.  Not until I add more gas.....  Guess I need to break a line loose and see if it's pumping.
1968 Newport Convertible

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »

Was also thinking about getting help, and turning the car around so the fuel is running down hill....I'd say I spilled about half a gallon of fuel trying to fill it with a 5 gallon can, and then *might* have gotten another 1.5 gallons into it.  It's parked on a pretty good incline.
1968 Newport Convertible

azblackhemi

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »

If it were me I'd try running it off a remote tank. Pull the fuel line off the intake side of the fuel pump and attach a hose into a gas can full of cas and see if it keeps running. If it runs you either have a clogged pickup tube or rubber fuel line between the tank and fuel pump has a hole in it and it's sucking air instead of fuel.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 07:05:13 PM »

Dave just keep pouring a small amount of gas in the carb while it's running.  You can use an oil can if you'd like and squirt the gas in

Guests

No start....
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »

Pull the line off the inlet side of the fuel pump and attach a longer hose to it to start with so you can blow into it and hear bubbles, proves the line isn't plugged, then suck just a little bit to verify it is pulling (don't have to get it all the way to your mouth, just that there is suction). The usual checking for leaks in the rubber hoses, move them around, see if they turn wet. My 6pac if it sat several months at a time, the float would stick, so I would tap it, then the last time before I brought her home from storage, the needle stuck shut, which caught me as funny, ten times blowing gas all over the place, final time it won't let gas into the bowl, go figure.

Since she does run, at least you know it is just a matter of getting the fuel to the carb as a problem so it is pretty narrowed down at what to look at.

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 03:43:46 AM »

I'm just hoping it's not the pickup tube.....
1968 Newport Convertible

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
No start....
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 04:10:59 AM »

Pop quiz, what size fuel line?  Going to parts store and get a length of it and a funnel.
1968 Newport Convertible

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No start....
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 07:21:15 AM »

5/16

Guests

No start....
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 07:59:07 AM »

Quick check the line being plugged first, just blow through it to hear bubbles in the tank, verify the pump is sucking/pumping fuel, go from there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC