MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looky here..what came into my shop  (Read 407 times)

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Looky here..what came into my shop
« on: June 18, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »

1971 Super Bee
Bare bones car,383 HP,column shift 727,plain jaine bench,light group package,AM/FM radio.
 Owned for over 24 years by the same guy.
It took him that long to get to this point to getting the car done.
It spent over 15 years sitting at a body shop waiting to get done,until my buddy Barry took it on and had it finished under two years.
Kudos to Al,the owner for toughing it out on a rare car,and ditto for Barry and team for taking on such a challenging project.
[color=#ffff99 size=6]AL'S BEE'S BACK!![/color]

CBarge2011-06-18 22:13:15
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »

I have followed this car for the past ten years.
Originally driven hard and hung wet to dry,it also was hit hard on the left side.
Upon teardown,the left frame rail was drove back 1/4 inch more than the right.
Somebody also bondoed the rear frame rails.
The numbers matching 383 did not run worth a crap either and the 727 slipped between the 2-3 shifts.
When Al bought the car,he saw the potential this rare beast had-even looking beyond the battle scars.
1971 was the only year the Super Bee was offered on the Charger body line--and was the last year for the Super Bee model period.
During the height of the Mopar muscle madness of  the '90's,Al rebuilt the 383 with a hotter cam,headers,electronic ignition,and Edelbrock 750 carb.He had the 727 rebuilt with a shift kit.Next was the body and paint.
Then the car sat.....and sat..waiting for the body shop to do their thing.
Fast forward ten years.
Barry Acker,a well known 71-74 Charger enthusiast,got his two car painted at the same shop.He noticed the battered Bee sitting in the compound.
The shop asked Barry if he was interested on taking on the old faded and battered 'Bee since they did not have the connections nor the network to locate the parts for the one year only car..
  Before Barry decided to say "no" the car was floated to his house!!
After meeting Al,the owner and listening to his story,Barry felt compelled to help out the owner and do a favour for the shop at the same time.
Luckily,with the drivetrain rebuilt and never turned over,all he had to do was repair the years of street racing and rust damage from sitting.
But that itself was a  challenge.
Both front fender,quarters,,upper half of the firewall,rear frame rails and floor pans had to be replaced.
All this was discovered on what was thought to be a solid car until it was ripped apart, and a couple hundred pounds of body filler was removed.
CBarge2011-06-18 21:34:02
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »

Anyhoo,long story short...The 'Bee came to my shop for an alignment after its major rotissorie restoration.
Still not  officialy completed,yet safe to drive.

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Guests

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »

Heck of a nice story, and heck of a nice car. Glad she didn't disappear from the ranks, and definitely a car I wouldn't mind seeing in a magazine or something.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »

Al's Bee is sorta an oddball.
First is the color---GY8 gold.

Matched to a basic green interior with the 150 MPH speedo and Ralleye gauge cluster.
The 71 Super Bee did not come with the rocker panel trim like the upscale Chargers.
This car came very few options  and other creature comforts exempted with performance kept in mind at a budget sticker price.
CBarge2011-06-18 22:01:59
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »

The 383 was never turned over after its rebuild back in the early 90's.
What you see is what is running great today.
For the "vintage" look and feel,the aftermarket upgrades done years ago were left alone.
Why not?
That's what people did to these cars when they were just used up hot rods--Chrome air cleaner,Single plane aluminum intake,big ignition coil,and incorrect engine paint.
It also works very well...So..If it aint broke dont fix it!!
Al is not concerned about "factory correct' or "concours".he just wants a strong running big block Mopar.
Al just wants to drive the car and not be worried about it.
It did turn out way above Al's expectations,yet he still wants to enjoy the car.
CBarge2011-06-18 22:12:41
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »

She still needs a few bugs worked out but on the positive side she never looked or ran this good in years.
Her maiden voyage was from Barry's home to my shop,actually.
I am very proud that Barry and Al put their trust in me and my employees to work on this unique piece of Mopar history.
CBarge2011-06-18 22:16:16
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »

Very cool car, and story.  The 71 Bee's are one of my favorite B-bodies.  I almost bought a fully loaded one, top banana, with air grabber and all the bells and whistles....it was actually the color that drove me off.

Suggest to Al to get a set of the shot gun tips for that dual exhaust...no cooler exhaust tip ever IMO...  I had the originals still on my 73 340 roadrunner...loved them!!

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Guests

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »

Concours and factory original is for unmolested garaged cars that don't need anything done to them, less than one percent of the cars bought and garaged. There was a story of a lady that bought a 68 Road Runner, saying she wanted power everything for her husband. This turned out to be 440, 4spd, heavy duty clutch (of course), Dana60 rear end, and no accessories whatsoever. Someone actually had to drive the car home for her, she could not depress the clutch. Guy loved the car, but didn't like the color (red), so it remained in the garage. Ten years later, he took the car down and had it painted (black of course), and while the wife was away on vacation (best time, right?), to which she came home, saw it, and was mad (wasn't her doing, so she was mad). A couple years later, he went on a business trip and she took it back out (had the paint store pick the car up actually), and returned it to its original red paint (her perogative, he didn't say no, I guess). Needless to say, about ten years ago it was in a magazine, and when he tried to sell it, basically had it validated to be real, three paint jobs, and something like 3 or 4 miles on the odometer! Not sure what happened to it after that, but talk about a find.

dana442011-06-19 00:18:56

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:13:20 AM »

Cool Bee!  didn't even know they had them in the later body
style... looks sleeker and wicked-er than the 70 and earlier ones
imo... so what is the market value for one, and/or a 7-73 Charger in
decent restorable condition these days?  Might it be the only B
body Mopar one could actually afford? I'm talking about a running,
solid, but #4 condition car? 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:14 AM »

1975 Dodge Charger was a body package for a 1975 Cordoba.

This is about the same thing. I can't seem to find a picture of a 2door Coronet in 1971, because they didn't exist, which might be the reason the Super Bee went from the Coronet to the Charger. Also, 1971 was the year the Coronet and the Satellite shared the same body, which was the Road Runner, Coronet the Super Bee, and the Road Runner and Super Bee competed with each other a little bit.

That's my guess.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:25:18 AM »

They did have a 2 dr Satellite, odd that they didn't have a 2 dr
Coronet, but that is the case it seems. Always liked the 71-78 B-body,
in all body styles.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:53:03 AM »

That was my point. How could you have a Road Runner and Super Bee using the same body compete against each other? Funny thing is, problems hadn't started with car companies yet, but this is about the time the merger of Dodge and Plymouth bodies was starting. What a mistake.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »

IMO the worst were the last wussy "Chargers" on the formal Cordoba
body, they absolutely made me want to hurl. A very sad end for a once
proud car, or to paraphrase T.S.Eliot, the Charger ended "not with a
bang, but a whimper."  

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC