MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's a new one...  (Read 503 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:28:48 AM »

So, I got a call from the guy from whom I bought my '69 Monaco Wagon. He had the car listed with the Illinois Film Institute as being available for use in film productions, which he did as a potential way to potentially finance some restoration efforts.

The reason he called me was, he received an email from a production company that is looking for a vintage station wagon for a low-budget film they are going to shoot, starting in August.

Now, of course, the "low-budget" sounds like a red flag to me, but here's my question: Does anyone have a clue as to what is reasonable for rental of a car by a film company? I don't, so before I talk to them, I'd like to know if anyone here has had any experience in this regard. The guy who sold me the car said he looked into the company, and the person who sent him the email, and it seems legit. I started to do it too, and it does seem on the level. I just don't know if it's a good idea, and what would be reasonable to agree to regarding the various details involved.

So, any advice is appreciated.

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

azblackhemi

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:48:02 AM »

I talked to a gentleman at Spring Fling a few years ago whose company found cars for use in movies. If I remember he said they paid between $100-$200 for a one day shoot. I'm not sure how much for a longer shoot.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

steve sclafani

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:41:24 AM »

A friend does it here in the NYC area. His 38 Packard was in the HBO mini-series Mildred Pierce. He says he gets $200 a day for standby work and much more if it's involved in the shoot. If you stay to drive the car you get paid as an extra. I could get more details if you like.

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:43:14 AM »

This is good info... I don't think they'll need me to drive t. From what the email said, they want a vintage wagon to use for a storyline that involves a guy and a girl that go on a road trip. So, I'm pretty sure they just want to rent it, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Could be kinda cool, as long as it doesn't end like Thelma and Loiuse... If they use it for a couple of weeks, it would pay for some good restoration stuff.
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Snotty

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »

I have known two men who allowed their cars to be used in movies - both had negative experiences.  One had his '55 Ford Tow Truck repainted in blue with flames - all without his knowing or approval.  I thought it looked cool until he told me they just sprayed the paint on without prep, and that included his radiator.  The film company refused to pay for the rebuild on his motor (when it overheated on his next call) because they said they gave him a 3 grand paint job in the process. 

I wouid be very wary.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »

If he values the car, he stays with it
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »

I would suggest finding out whether he can stay with the car or not.  If it's a "closed set" the answer would be no. 
It's green here in Chico!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »

The other day a guy walks up to me at the house in PA and wants my Imperial for a movie scene being shot locally. They work out of a compound of buildings down the road that houses an art institute. He said they need a car for a scene where the girl is searching for her father around this area, and ......she breaks down on the roadside! They need a car that looks old and ready to break.....talk about  making me feel good about owning my classic ...err , relic !
I'm too busy for  the next few months and declined. Besides I too have heard about damage and abuse of loaned cars in movies......

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »

Thanks for all of the great advice. It gave me plenty to think about.
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Jacques

• View Profile
Here's a new one...
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 01:44:25 AM »

$500 for a couple of weeks? Good joke. They should buy a car.
Having your a car in a movie or videoclip is cool though, but only if the conditions are OK. You made a wise decision.
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC