MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Update on the 'Toga  (Read 1146 times)

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »

So, update: I found the correct valve covers, got them in the mail yesterday, put them on, and no leaks. YES!  I also got the new radio (Retrosound USA deck) in and working. Just need to get the new speaker mounted so there is no more rattling. Drove it to work today. Going to work this weekend on getting it pretty for a car show on Monday. I will be taking pictures and will post them up later.

I figured I would update here, vice on any other topics I already had open since now it's more general updates. I'm glad to have the car drivable without having to worry about leaving a trail of where i've been.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »

Great news
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »

its funny how such simple things make big progress on a project.
keep us posted and post up lotsa pics!!

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:11:19 AM »

Well, this last weekend was the big "Cruise to Colby" car show in Everett. Sunday was the cruise. For some reason the Toga kept stalling out, and then she got pretty hot and didn't want to start back up, so we sat there during the cruise watching all the cars go. Finally got her started and did a lap and headed home. New fuel filter, timing, and carb adjustment done, and she runs better. Yesterday was the actual show. Got down there, were loading in, and the brakes decided to go out on me. Show ended, got home ok after almost running 2 red lights. LOL. Thursday she's going in to get the brakes checked. I'm thinking it's just a leak, or one of the brake lines, but I want a pro to make sure. Also, going to be ordering the missing hubcaps this week, so don't worry about them! LOL

Onto the good stuff though. Here are some pictures I snapped:

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »

You got best of show???
man,that's awesome.
That's an ego boost for sure.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:11:13 AM »

I WISH! Nah, that was just a cheesy magazine cover that they printed up for me. She still needs a LOT of work before she's able to compete with some of the cars around here.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »

Bring up that left torsion bar

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 05:21:09 AM »

SO, update on the brakes, I had them done when I first got the car to WA 2 years ago, paid about $500 total for the new rear brake cylinders, and a new master cylinder. Well, the MC was leaking out the front, because they used a t-fitting for a trailer brake system, and the rear passenger side wheel cylinder blew. It's at another shop right now, they're just waiting for the parts (and having issues getting the rear brake apart) They're also awaiting a call for a different master cylinder. The previous owner converted the front brakes to disk and left the stock master in there. The previous shop apparently missed this when they replaced the master last time.

OH!!! And the previous shop informed me there is only a 1 year warranty on brake work, even though I put less than 200 miles on the car. So I'm basically out all that money. Oh well, at least it's getting done correctly, and I should be able to pick it up within the next couple of days.

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »

It never seems to end. Every time something gets fixed, something else breaks!!! Today was a little more dramatic though. Started up the car and pulled it out of the garage to warm up. When I was walking back to the garage, I noticed a trail of something leading from the garage to the car. Went back and looked under the car just in time to see the puddle of gas that had been leaking burst into flame. PANIC MODE!!! Reached in the window, shut off the car, released the parking brake, and pushed it into the street. Watched the flame in my driveway go out, looked up, and there was smoke billowing out from under the hood. Luckilly I was able to pop the hood and beat the fire out with a towel.
What happened? The fuel filter ruptured, started spraying fuel, and somehow ignited. I replaced the filter, the fuel lines, the generator belt, and the air filter. She started right back up after that. I'll get pics posted. I went to autozone (where I purchased the filter) and they told me to pick up the parts I needed, bring the burst filter in, and they would reimburse me for the parts I had to replace. Fun morning!!! LOL

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:33:37 PM »

How a fuel filter can burst with about 5 PSI is one on me.  That's why I now use car quest

Guests

Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:01:51 AM »

Last vehicle fire, and only one to date, required a full swap of engine, transmission, fuel system and tank, exhaust system, and full wiring harness. At least I had a second truck with all but five brackets, three motor mounts, power steering pump and bracket, fan, water pump, belt, fan shroud, and radiator. You got off easy, and definitely a good save. Did you end up with any paint damage?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 08:15:33 AM »

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:08 AM »

Me?  Oh I would stand there crying.  LOL

glen cyr

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »

I see a fire extinguisher in your future! Good thing you saved it a lot of people are not as lucky. I have an extinguisher in the engine compartment and one mounted between my seats. After i had a meltdown at the racetrack w/ my 340 Duster,i,m never going to be caught without one again. Melted all my wiring,paint,etc,under the hood and i beat it almost out with my worn only twice Down filled vest,then it flared up again and a track official came and took care of it with a big extinguisher. I've never heard of a fuel filter rupturing,but, hey...in this day and age of inferior parts..... anything is possible.   Here's where my extinguisher is, in the int.        Glen owatajrkiam2011-07-23 14:19:22
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
Update on the 'Toga
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »

I have a fire extingisher in my Neon, I am on my 2nd one, the first was used putting out a car fire at a job I worked at, poor kids 86 K-car something popped under the hood and the as he open it up, woosh full blown engine fire, he was glad to see I had one ready to put it out., now I just need to mount it in the car.

Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC