MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air cleaner vacuum diaphragm - restore?  (Read 978 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Air cleaner vacuum diaphragm - restore?
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »

I'm now the proud owner of a mid-'70s dual snorkel air cleaner.  It's a bit rough, so I have some work to do.  But it fits my car exactly, has no holes/modifications for a lean-burn, AND came from the factory without an OSAC valve, so it has the block-off plate, instead. (sweeeet!)  However, my question is with the vacuum heat riser diaphragms:

They're a bit rough, too, but I want to reuse them since they both hold vacuum. (and they're each $70 a pop to replace!)  But I don't know how delicate this mechanism is.

How easy are these to ruin?

I'm thinking they're too small to glass bead.  So I guess I have to sand and/or chemically remove the rust off the tops and bottoms, then paint them Mopar orange - but I don't know what will happen if water, rust dust, paint, etc. gets "in" the diaphragm.

Anyone have tips/tricks/advice?

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Guests

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:29:35 AM »

How about plugging the vacuum with a nipple to keep anything from going inside it, then soaking them in the molasses to get rid of the rust. That was a neat thing last thread done on it, should be the most gentle method to get rid of the rust on the underside. Glass beading the tops should not be a problem, nothing sensitive there, just don't do the bottom side where the rubber may have some exposure to the pressure, and again, keep the nipple in place, hand sanding three eigths of an inch the nipple covers can easily be done by hand. Use a rust inhibitor before painting.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:48:51 AM »

Quote from: dana44
How about plugging the vacuum with a nipple to keep anything from going inside it, then soaking them in the molasses to get rid of the rust.
Molasses?    Ok - but because there's a metal rod that comes down from the diaphragm, it's gonna be hard soaking the bottom in molasses unless the whole assembly is submerged.  I can't lay it flat.

So if molasses and water gets inside it won't harm the inner workings of the diaphragm?

Quote from: dana44
Use a rust inhibitor before painting.
Would I use this as a primer or would the primer go over it?  Got any brands / recommendations?

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Guests

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »

Come on guys, where is the post about using molasses to clean rust? I remember a bunch of really rusty parts and what was it, an Ajax restoration? We talked about it for a couple weeks.

I figure if it is rust that is the problem, molasses will not deteriorate rubber like chemicals could, and a simple metal etching, like metal clean, or etching primer, then paint should prevent it from rusting again.

CALLING STEVE, where's the molassess link/topic????

Here's what thrashingcows said:
dana442011-05-20 00:41:36
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC