MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear sway bar link bushing is hard to find!  (Read 3774 times)

Guests

Rear sway bar link bushing is hard to find!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »

It's going to take a little manufacturing/welding, but it is time to simply move on and do a replacement fabrication. The center location of the hole is the important part for handling, but, get a poly bushing with the hole size as the important part. Many of them come with a metal housing on them already, all you have to do is cut a piece of 3/16ths plate steel it can bolt onto (so 1.5 inches wide and 3inches long is about the right size, roughly the size of the metal bushing housing), drill bolt holes to attach the bushing to the plate, then using the original length of the center of the bushing hole to thread start, mark the bent part under the bushing of the original and cut it off at the right length, weld the plate to end and bolt the new bushing on. I't a little bit of work, not difficult, but done properly will look like an upgraded bushing, not a fabricated mess. Paint it black and nobody will know it isn't factory. Need rough pictures, I can draw something up to show it better.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 12:44:26 PM »

Did Luke ask about me?  I haven't called them in a while.  I will soon though, I need to replace the front shocks in the blue diamond WHICH WERE IMPROPERLY INSTALLED. . .   (SNOTTY!)  and I have to get new sway bar link bushings.  One is missing
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »

You assume too much; I did not put the shocks on that car.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
You assume too much; I did not put the shocks on that car.
I had to blame someone. . .  

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 01:12:26 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
He should have a complete link kit though.
Yeah, but they're not the proper diameter and they're only for the front.

This HD front sway bar from the doner 1979 300 is proving to be IMPOSSIBLE to find the right bushing for.  It is 1 1/8" (29mm) in diameter.  All the B-body bushing kits only go up to 15/16" (24mm).  I called a good local suspension shop and inquired about drilling out the bushing center hole.  They said, "We don't like the idea of it - and we've never done it on poly before."  And they have a drill press and I don't - so I don't like the idea of me doing that, either.

Energy DOES have a factory style bushing for a 1 1/8" bar.....but it's for the FMJ Mopars - and their bushings are circular wheras the B-bdy bushings are square w/ a ridge on one end.

I'm about ready to say "Eff it" and do what Dana44 said.  At least I know I can find generic 1 1/8" and 3/4" poly bushings from Energy.

Quote from: POLARACO
Did Luke ask about me?  I haven't called them in a while.
Yeah.  He wanted to know why you skipped town after borrowing $20 from him.  I think he's still pissed. 

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »

I have a drill press if you want to use it Dom...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »

Quote from: attkrlufy

Energy DOES have a factory style bushing for a 1 1/8" bar.....but it's for the FMJ Mopars - and their bushings are circular wheras the B-bdy bushings are square w/ a ridge on one end.

Another option could be to fill up the corners of the link with a bit of metal, so the round Energy bushing fits.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 04:55:11 AM »

Quote from: firedome
I have a drill press if you want to use it Dom...
I wouldn't even know to drill into something like polyurethane.....

Do you use high speed / low speed?  What style bit?  Do you use lubrication or not?  If so....what kind is best?

This would be an expensive part to screw up while learning how to ream an 11/16" hole into a 1 1/8" one properly.  If I end up off by more than 1/32", I've probably just ruined the bushing.

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »

It would have to be cooled somehow. . .  And at a slower speed.  You need it fast enough to it won't bind, but slow enough it won't over heat it.

The Polyurathane bushings will probably hold up better when drilling.  I never tried that.

Guests

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »

Poly drills like plastic. Get it held solidly so as not to spin and simply drill it, just like teflon, medium speed and not too hard with the pressure because of how soft it is compared to metal.  It has been done and can be done again. If you can find the square size you can do it easily enough without fear, the square sized would help in the clamping procedure, round works best if put in a lathe and spin it to cut rather than clamping it and drilling it. Don't worry about the outside lip of rubber like the original, you could, after removing the bushing, drill the metal housing and thread it, then put the poly bushing in and dimple the bushing about .050inch and intall a set screw with loctite to keep it from moving. Something simple like that. This isn't a difficult customize to work, just time consuming.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC