MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear sway bar link bushing is hard to find!  (Read 3457 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Rear sway bar link bushing is hard to find!
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:44:57 PM »

When last I posted I was on the hunt for F & R sway bars assembly bushings.  I was able to find replacement poly bushings for everything except for the center bushing on the rear sway bar link:

It's got a 19mm (3/4") hole and measures approx 1 5/8" L & W.  It's about 1 1/2" thick.  The part that's contained within the bracket is thinner/smaller - about 1 3/8" L & W and 1" thick.

I was hoping to find this in polyurethane, but at this point I'll settle for rubber.  If I can't find it soon, I'm thinking of going to a machine shop and having a new link fabricated that will accept a generic poly bushing and clamp.  Since that'll be really $$$$, I'm hoping to try this one last time with you guys.

Any leads/ideas?

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »

Did you try Justsupension?  They have all sorts of bushings.  You have to call them though.  Have your measurements handy too
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »

That's right, go with the size/dimensions vice application. If I could find kinpins for ah 39 Nash using dimensions vice application, chances are you can find the ones you need. Remember, if the inside hole dimension isn't correct, you can always redill the center, and if the outside dimension is larger, they can always be cut down to fit within the housing, smaller outside dimension can always be filled with metal spacers on the out side within the housing. Gotta do what you can.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »

I have a similar link on my '70 front sway bar.  I was able to get the bushing, but had to cut out the old one, as well as the weld on that bracket to put it on.  I drilled holes into the bracket before I cut it so that I could line them back up with bolts.  I cut right done the weld center with a grinder wheel.  Actually, with 6 of them - that metal is tough!  It did/does the job.

It's green here in Chico!!

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 05:20:24 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
I have a similar link on my '70 front sway bar.  I was able to get the bushing, but had to cut out the old one, as well as the weld on that bracket to put it on.  I drilled holes into the bracket before I cut it so that I could line them back up with bolts.  I cut right done the weld center with a grinder wheel.  Actually, with 6 of them - that metal is tough!  It did/does the job.
Yeah, I had to take it to a machine shop to drill out the fusion weld and split the top and bottom brackets.  I don't have the set-up for something like that now that my air-compressor is broken.  But at least I'll be able to service the link from here on.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 05:26:31 AM »

Quote from: Polaraco
Did you try Justsupension?
Quote from: dana44
That's right, go with the size/dimensions vice application. If I could find kinpins for ah 39 Nash using dimensions vice application, chances are you can find the ones you need.
I did look at their website earlier when I was trying Energy Suspensions, FirmFeel, Kanter, and all the other usual suspects, but I didn't see anything listed from them after typing in my car's make, model, and year in their online catalog.  Maybe they have a "hidden room in the back" online, I dunno, but I'll try them again.  Thanks.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

Try the application again-but try using a 79 Cordoba.
An R is simply a stretched B...It is worth a shot since so many Cordoba's and Magnums came with the rear sway bar option.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »

Well, after combing through catalogs and other mfgs websites, I've concluded that no one makes those square bushings anymore. 

However, there is an extortionist on ebay that has EXACTLY what I need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Mopar-1971-74-B-Body-Rear-Sway-Bar-Bushings-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d8826003409895150775QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ220768010906

But $75 + $8 S/H??  I don't care if it is NOS - that's nuts.  It's not even poly....

So I have two options:  Modify the factory rear sway bar link by cutting off the bracket and welding a flat piece of metal w/ 2 blot holes to the shaft so I can accommodate a generic 3/4" bushing like this (minus the zerk fitting):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Sway-Bar-Bushings-3-4-19mm-95106-9-5106-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1dae22352QQitemZ7967220562QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Or cave in and buy the $75 bushing set.

I'm inclined to modify the link to accept the universal bushing.  It'll be more $$ upfront, but at least the link will be servicable from now on.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »

Quote from: attkrlufy
Quote from: Polaraco
Did you try Justsupension?
Quote from: dana44
That's right, go with the size/dimensions vice application. If I could find kinpins for ah 39 Nash using dimensions vice application, chances are you can find the ones you need.
I did look at their website earlier when I was trying Energy Suspensions, FirmFeel, Kanter, and all the other usual suspects, but I didn't see anything listed from them after typing in my car's make, model, and year in their online catalog.  Maybe they have a "hidden room in the back" online, I dunno, but I'll try them again.  Thanks.
You have to call them.  Talk to Luke.  Tell Him Steve Hobby sent you.  He has them.  I know he does

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »

I have a similar link on my '70 front sway bar.

Was also my 1st thought seeing these pics, looks very similar to 65-73 C-body front sway bar link bushings....

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »

I hate to suggest it, because Steve hates them so, but PST has them too.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »

Kanter. . . .  You have to live near him and know him to understand Scott.  But his 5th wife divorced him, this one lasting the longest.  He's gone under ground since.
POLARACO2011-05-01 23:36:15

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:12:20 AM »

I hate to suggest it, because Steve hates them so, but PST has them too.
Sorry, but both PST and Justsuspension came up blank.  Luke was really nice (thanks for the referral Steve), but he said they sold out of that style a while ago and he doesn't know of anyone that makes it.  PST had a guy look at the images - but they carry the same stuff everyone else carries.  Which means they don't carry that center, square bushing.

McQuay-Norris also used to make that square bushing, too.....but that was ages ago and they don't stock/make it anymore.

The search goes on..... 
.....though I am running out of time.  I may just have to get some custom work done.

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 05:52:27 AM »

Check the size of that square bushing - the shape is similar to the 65-73 C-body swaybar link bushing. So that may interchange.
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC