MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POR 15  (Read 1100 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
POR 15
« on: April 14, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »

Today I used POR15 for the first time ever on some suspension parts I'm restoring and I learned something....

It's SILVER!!

Why have I always thought it was black?

So.....I obviously can't have a 2-tone suspension (or CAN I???).    Do I paint over the POR15 with black paint?  Is that how this works?  What have you guys done?

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »

It comes in 2 colors

The bad news is, you need to use the POR primer for paint to stick to it.

I don't use that stuff.  I use the Eastwood rust converter and paint it
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

attkrlufy

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »

Are you kidding me????  After spending $30 on a tiny little can of POR15 - and waiting 4 HOURS for each stupid coat to dry.....I now have to spend God-knows how much for POR primer and paint it TWO MORE TIMES?????    

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:04 PM »

afraid so

Why I don't use it.

Yeah i know the label telling ths color leave much to be desired.  Personally, I think the stuff is way over rated

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »

scuff it up with red scotchbrite and paint over it with semi gloss black Rustoleum.....the silver POR15 will protect the metal and the Rustoleum is cheap and looks/lasts well....my friend is painting his complete chassis with it
stitcherbob2011-04-15 19:48:29
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

attkrlufy

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Yeah i know the label telling the color leave much to be desired.
I looked at the can again today.  Just above the barcode (on the back) is the text "silver" in a plain-jane, normal-sized font.  That's it - and there's nothing on the front.  If you didn't know to look for it there, you'd never see it.

Quote from: POLARACO
Personally, I think the stuff is way over rated
It's certainly overpriced.  Well, I'm in the middle of this mess, so no way to stop now.  What brands do you use for this sort of work?

Corey

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 07:20:41 AM »

Steve you used to be a big advocate for por15 but if /when you find something better that usually changes. Btw I absolutely love the utra one rust ease worked perfectly on my Fiance's motorcycle tank i need to get anothe gallon of it so i can dose it one last time.

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Jacques

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »

Por15 for sure works extemely well, great protection and long lasting.

The Por15 I used a while ago was black btw.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »

Quote from: stinger1170

Steve you used to be a big advocate for por15 but if /when you find something better that usually changes. Btw I absolutely love the utra one rust ease worked perfectly on my Fiance's motorcycle tank i need to get anothe gallon of it so i can dose it one last time.
I'll tell you what does a great job, thank you Bob.  Soaking your parts in a Lye solution.  Old grease, paint, everything except rust comes off.  But it does attack the scaley rust on pieces though.  Then a chaser of the rust converter.  I usually scuff the parts with a pad before I prime

Corey

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

its possible i'm mistaken steve when i had my fury someone told me about por i thought it was you but it was prob someone else. I used it on the fury and it worked but i hadnt gotten to the stage of painting it before i had my electrical disaster under the hood.

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »

POR 15 doesn't take UV light well....it chalks up. Therefore it needs to be topcoated if it's going to see any sun. Silver POR15 is sold on the premise it has metal flakes in it and builds up weak metal better (like pitted gas tanks or trunk floors). We used the black to pour into door bottoms for the ultimate protection from rust.

I used the black POR to paint and seal up my Auto Temp 2 servo unit on my Imperial after I epoxied and rebuilt the cracked plastic body. I painted the water passages inside also.

POR needs moisture to cure....if anyone had a problem with it sticking it probably was applied when the humidity was too low.

The lye bath works well, but for rust I like Dupont 5717 phosphate coating for tough parts, Ultra One for the delicate stuff. I used to fill a spackling pail with one gallon of 5717 and 4 gallons of hot water. Even when cool it works wonders. Plating parts always turned out better when I soaked the parts overnight first before sending them out. Paint sticks great, and the surface is etched just enough.....all pits come clean.

stitcherbob2011-04-17 22:56:58
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

firedome

• View Profile
POR 15
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »

On my Nova I did like Bob said, scuffed it and I sprayed on satin black
enamel over top the POR. Almost 3 yrs later it still looks
perfect.  The POR-15 Silver has extra metallic particles in it and
they recommend it for helping fill in rough metal, use the Black for
smoother metal. I used the Silver on scaly underbody areas and it
worked well.  Not cheap but if you do it right it is almost
impregnable. 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!