MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Plans for Eileen  (Read 326 times)

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
My Plans for Eileen
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »

This year I would like to make the following changes.

1 inch 4 hole spacer on the M-1 Intake. 

HP manifolds swap from logs ( which I get cheap for the NOS tips I found for my friends original 6 pack fury )

3.23 gear from the 2.76 gear.

Possible swap from point dizzy to electronic with better curve.

Possible shift kit..

Looking for 15.99 this year so i need to find 4 tenths.. I don't know if I will put up this much from the changes I plan..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »

4/10's? 

You might be able to do that without the gear change.

Have you thought about a cam?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:27:14 PM »

Valve springs, adjustable rockers and anti-pump-up lifters to get the rpm higher than 5300. If worried about oil starvation, get a high volume oil pump (Hemi pump) to increase the volume,not the pressure, it can be changed without dropping the pan.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »

Quote from: dana44
Valve springs, adjustable rockers and anti-pump-up lifters to get the rpm higher than 5300. If worried about oil starvation, get a high volume oil pump (Hemi pump) to increase the volume,not the pressure, it can be changed without dropping the pan.

But run it a quart over!  Remember those discussions a while back?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:57:06 AM »

I'm thinking a more modern grind cam with the same lift.. The old Magnum cam designs are so outdated that a new cam with the same lift would pick up quite a bit of power just in the ramp design..

I'm going to put in a crossover in the exhaust too.. H pipe I guess it's called.

I'm still thinking that I might swap the 516's back on the old girl to bump up the compression..

Jason

Guests

My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »

Burned exhaust valves and hardened seats were needed because the tetraethyl lead in the gas was the lubricant to prevent them from getting too hot and unleaded stopped it from happening. Years later there were still problems, even with the unleaded valve stems (this time) and there was something added to the gas to replace the lead, so, as long as you don't run her lean you will be more than fine, running lean will still burn up valves whether you have hardened seats or not. As far as a cam grind goes, the 361 does pretty good with a .475lift on a 268degree duration.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »

I know all about leads versus unleaded.. but since I barely drive the old girl 3000 miles a year i doubt i would kill the seats anyways.. This car drove daily up to 1995 and the seats are in great shape after about 15 years of unleaded in canada..

I would think it would help with compression over these open chamber heads it has now..

Jason

Guests

My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:43:59 AM »

Oh, definitely. Mopar heads were made of a much better quality metals, the valves were closer to stainless one piece to begin with, and like I said, the only time a Mopar had problems with heads prior to the actual hardened seat inserts was if the engine was running lean.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:46:05 AM »

Since the bore is small I don't think I would need the big exhaust valve.. Just a good clean up

For now I'll just stick with the 452 heads and maybe do a cam swap.. anything has to be better than the purple shaft magnum cams from the 60's

Jason

Guests

My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »

Think of it as a better 350. The bore is 1/8 inch larger, stroke is a slight bit shorter, and the intake is much larger, the exhaust valve is more than large enough. Closed chamber heads, Crane medium small cam and you will be good to go. Springs, rockers and anti-pump-up lifters a must and you will have around 350hp (stock port heads), but remove that lip all the way, it will have much more torque and build power faster.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »

sounds good.. can I use the MP porting templates on the 516?

Jason

Guests

My Plans for Eileen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »

Why the heck do you want to do something like that? Match the gasket, round the bowl, cut the short side turn, remove the ridge from the combustion chamber and cut down any lumps you find (exhaust bolt bumps can safely be removed). Do the same thing with the intake, the transition is the important spot, and the underside of the carb base, and since you said you were going to be using a 4 hole spacer, round the sharp edges on the bottom side, not the top side. Pretty soon I will have some pictures of what to do to the heads, almost ready to start moving stuff from the house to the garage, whether the building department says I can or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC