MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Toys for my Diesel And MODS  (Read 542 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Toys for my Diesel And MODS
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »

In order to get better air flow, I need to yank the grid heater in the intake.  The factory is very restrictive.  I've been beta testing this guys stuff with great results in the past.  I didn't do this item because I don't drive enough anymore.

What you are looking at is a new Heater, Made in the USA.  It goes on the end of the intake horn,  As you can see, it's pretty wide open in there.

To removing the old original heater, it takes 2 hours.  Installing this one takes 15 minutes.  You wonder what goes through these engineers heads sometimes.

Can't wait to get this installed

POLARACO2011-02-27 19:02:16
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »

Puuuuuuuurdyyyy...
Smoooov. :)
1982 Jeep CJ7 :: AMC360 Edelbrock 4bbl :: TF999 Built :: Dana300 Twin Stick :: D30 \\ AMC20 :: 7" Lift :: 35" Xterrains on ARE 15x10s :: Plenty of Fab Work.  And stiil a DAMNED KID!

Guests

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:51:48 PM »

OK, so let me get this right because I am not a diesel guy.....you want the warmest air possible going into a diesel to atomize the fuel, is that it? If so, this is a very clean design and I like it. What is that computer board looking thing behind the heating element, or is that just the TV screen or something? I think I am looking at a TV/computer  screen in the background so I am being stupid on that part of the question/comment.. So when are we going to port the head on this thing? What is she, a 5.9 turbo diesel?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »

Boy you aren's a diesel guy.

The grid heater replaces the glow plugs of our youth,  It's only used on cold starts around 32 degrees and below.  I never wait for it, I just hit the key, wait for it to smooth out and hit D.

This is a 6.7.  The grid heater sits under the intake horn.  Remember a diesel is always WOT.  So the grid heater super heats the air going in the cylinders.  It has to heat allot of air.  It's faster and more efficient than the glow plug,  Actually you want the coldest air you can get in there when driving.  That's the reason for the intercoolers.  The air is denser.  The grid heater turns off when the engine reached 100*F.  From there, my air temp is usually 40 to 80 degrees

I know this is small, but if you look close at the grid heater in the top of the picture.  That's what's in there now.  Tell me that motor isn't starving for air.  I'm very close to this being a race truck.  All I need after that is some head studs and a reprogram and I can turn 11's.  It runs high 13's now.  This will move it to low 13's.

Just like a car, you want cold air.  It keeps the intake and the mixture cool going in the cylinders. 

POLARACO2011-02-25 00:32:08

Guests

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »

Got it, just didn 't sound right to have hot air going into even a diesel, especially with an intercooler and all that, so now that makes a little bit more sense. So, when do you want a ported head for this thing? I know it will add a couple mpg on top of pulling the hills better, no doubt about that.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »

taking the head off is a PITA.  If I ever take the head off, then I'll do it

Guests

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:10:34 AM »

I know that. No rush, they last a loooooong time before they wear out.

Corey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »

Steve would that newer air heater work for a powerstroke my father in law has glow plugs that are goin out on him if he doesnt keep it plugged in when its cold he has to ether it. BTW did that carb get there yet

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 02:44:48 PM »

That one if specifically for the 6.7 Dodge Cory.  But I can ask Kurt to take a look and see.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »

Well the toys continue.  This stuff has been stock piling and I am getting to it,

I extended the the front valance to let less air pass under the truck.  Less Friction, less wind lift,  Better stability, better MPG,  I did this on my 01 successfully and gained from the minor Mod.

Further, The steps have finally started to detieriate beyond usefulness.  They went through 3 trucks.   So I got some new OEM Style running boards.  It's taking longer to take the old ones out than to put these in.  I forgot to take a pic of the old nurf bars, but you've seen them

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »

Looking Good!  Love the new sidesteps!  Did you pull that intake tube off or cut the new lower valance around it?  I don't see it...
1982 Jeep CJ7 :: AMC360 Edelbrock 4bbl :: TF999 Built :: Dana300 Twin Stick :: D30 \\ AMC20 :: 7" Lift :: 35" Xterrains on ARE 15x10s :: Plenty of Fab Work.  And stiil a DAMNED KID!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »

No Chris. . .  I took it off.  Wasn't doing anything anyway.  Check and see my solution tomorrow.  It's more positive and it's ram air.  You'll see.  I'll take the tunnel off going down and block the intake air from the bottom.   Then cut a 3" hole in the front and use a 3" piece of dryer flex duct and bring it right out behind the grill.  Put a piece of screen over the end to keep the snakes out and I ahve Ram Air.  Intake temps will go down too

I like those steps too.  They were CHEAP!   runningboards.com and they tell me they are US made.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 05:23:30 AM »

Does the computer control this heater just like the one in the intake? How many amps does it use?

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:53 AM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361
Does the computer control this heater just like the one in the intake? How many amps does it use?

Yup  Just move the wire from one to the other

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 06:25:27 AM »

Nice.. simple...

Could it be wired separate for a gas vehicle to help warm it up on a cold day?

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC