MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ever dream about the cars you formerly owned?  (Read 606 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Ever dream about the cars you formerly owned?
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »

I had a dream last night that Frances and I were driving to Reno agian as we did last August, only this time I was driving my old '79 Cordoba.  The dream reminded me: that was a sweet-driving car!  Too bad it was such a POS!!  I would have kept it for far longer than 2 years.  A shame.

Just thoguth I'd share....

It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

You been in that sacrificial wine again?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

Snotty.. my first car was a '76 Cordoba factory 400 4 barrel non-lean burn.. bought it for $500 and it was rust free..I'll dig up a picture.

I was stupid and 17.. and wrecked the car in a crash..

I really wish I still had that car... $35 to safety check it.. :(

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »

I do on occasion.My 86 2+2 Aerocoupe,68 VIP,the New Yorker,and the Dippy come to mind.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »

My 69 Cuda. . .or my 64 SF Vert.  I kick myself in the ass all the time.  Retirement mopney on that cuda
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »

I don't kick myself for selling the 'doba because it helped me to buy the van, but it was a nice driving car.  It just had so many 1979 bugs in it that I grew tired and frustrated with it quickly.  I bought it to be able to park the New Yorker (which I was using as a daily driver) and do work to, but alll of my extra money when to the 'doba.  It was really frustrating.  As you know, Steve, besides basic maintainence I never got anything done on the NY.  A shame.
On the subject, I have had numerous dreams about my first car, a '61 Bug, and my seconf, a /6, 3-speed '70 Challenger.  For both of these the dreams are the same: I still one the car but it has been in a garage for years.  I'm trying to bring them back to driving condition and kicking myself for letting them sit.  When I awake the dreams are so vicid that I have to remind myself that I SOLD them years ago.
Anyone else?

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »

[/QUOTE]

That's too bad.

Mine was a '79, 360 4bbl that I got at an estate sale for $1,500.  It had just 20,000 miles on it in 1997!  It was fully equipped which included the "Rich Corinthian Leather."    It had all the options except sunroof.

But, do you know the cliche' that there's two ways to destroy a car?  One is to never service it, the other is to never drive it?  Well, that car really lived up to the latter!  If I had kept it I would have eventually run out of the things that needed to be replaced.  But I didn't buy it to work on - I bought it to drive.

I got two grand for it, but that was after doing nearly 2 grand worth of work on it!  Sheesh!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »

As far as Mopars: the '57 300C I never restored, and the nice black '58
NYer I traded for it.. both drop tops too. I don't think I can ever
afford a 50s convertible again with old age looming.  And to think
I sold that 300 for like $5k in 1985. I still dream about driving that
"beautiful brute".   There's one in that cool new Chrysler ad by
Eminem.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »

I sold my Challenger for $950 in 1987.  In the same shape that it was in then I could have gotten over 20 grand for it three years ago!  Who knew?

Guests

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »

Yeah, I had one of those 74 Barracuda/318/727 I got $2400 for back in 2003. She was a cruiser with an 8.75 and a factory tow hitch (blind bolts were welded into the frame, looked factory to me).  The one I really haded losing though was my Dad's 1969 Cougar Eliminator. It was one of the 51 that had the 351 Cleveland engines in it (first year, was supposed to be the debut, but they didn't have enough of them, his was one). Imagine watching the tach, sitting on the center console between the front seats (all three of us kids were small back then), seeing 70mph on the speedo and 3500rpm on the tach, then watching the speedo needle go to 120mph, then pass the odometer reading, come all the way up to 25mph, then run out of road. Dad sold it because the mechanical tach would break because it would wind too fast (it broke twice), got nine miles to the gallon (and gas just went up to .42 a gallon), and it ran like garbage when he couldn't get 97octane or higher (which was being phased out a that time).  Hey, four years later and 24,000miles on the odometer, he got a $2000 trade-in (for a $3600car), for a 1974 Pinto stationwagon!.
   Now here's the real kicker. Dad was a Ford man, always drove Fords when I was growing up, grade school teacher credit union gave him three cars that were available to choose from when he got the Eliminator. He would always say he had three choices and it wasn't until about 1979, while reading a Hotrod magazine, he glanced over my shoulder and said, yeah, that was one of the other cars he was offered when he bought the Eliminator. Turned out, and I verified explicitly to make sure, he said, yeah, it had the Elephant motor in it, it was a convertible, and it was a 4speed, and he didn't want to drive a "fish". Turned out to be a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda 426Hemi 4speed convertible, one of 50 documented built! The other one was a cruddy 69 Nova SS 396....go figure hindsight.

http://www.musclecargarage.com/Chryslerannouncementletter.html

dana442011-02-17 23:29:04

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »

My Dad passed on a '71 Hemi 'Cuda 'vert new, plus all other Mopars and nended up buying a...

...gag me...

...a '71 Toyota Crown!!!   AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC