MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stratus Repair  (Read 402 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »

Had an interesting day today.  Need to set it up first....

Mariah came home last weekend because her Neon was leaking something.  When I raised her car I saw the boot on the passenger-side "rack" had a small leak.  More important, she needed a brake job.  So, she took the 185,000+ mile Stratus back to Fresno.

We were to meet on Thursday night at Black Bear Restaraunt in Tulare to swap cars, but she called me on Wednesday to say the passenger side fenderwell on the Stratus had seperated from the front bumper and was being eaten by the tire!

So, Mariah went to a store and bought some duct-tape and rednecked the fenderwell back to the car!  On the way to Tulare the next night it lasted until Selma!  (About 20 miles from Fresburg.)  I told her to go to Cattleman's Steakhouse and wait there.  Knowing we had farther to drive now, Frances and I did a 82 MPH trip to Selma!  In the meantime Mariah got out the tape and went bananas on the fenderwell!

After an excellent meal of Bacon-wrapped shrimp, New York Strip with beer-battered shrimp (Frances and Mariah had a burger) we made it back to Bakersfield without any problems, albeit going a lot slower at 62 MPH.  Didn't want the tape to let go again.

OK, the point of the story!  Do you know how many Stratus, Cirrus, and Breeze cars I looked under today????  Do all of these fenderwells break loose and end up in the front tire???  I was able to find one good well I could use, but none of the inner pieces that was the cause of it letting go in the first place.  Luckilly, mine was still in usable shape.  I also found where a bolt had popped loose which allowed the front bumper to pull away from the well.  Along with the loose inner piece they made for a nice time for the tire!

It's all back together now, but sheesh!  I thought this search would be a breeze - no pun intended!
It's green here in Chico!!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »

Did you get all of the duct tape goo off the fenders? If not try Goo Gone in the spray form...

It will lift the adhesive right off after sitting a few minutes..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:46:08 AM »

What do you want for 200,000 miles
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »

[/QUOTE]

No goo.  Mariah is smart and knew not to attach not to the paint.  Thanks just the same.

Snotty

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
What do you want for 200,000 miles

My sentiments exactly.  When Mariah called she was quite apologetic, but I said, "Honey, don't worry about it; the car has 185,000 miles on it.  Something's going to break."

What caught my attention was the cars in the yard with less miles, yet they were trashed - and not by the people picking over them.  I saw worn out seats, steering wheels, mistreated body and paint - I began to realize we've treated ours fairly well.

I just thought I'd be able to find those two pieces far easier and in beetter shape than I did.

I did grab two factory trunk springs.  Now my trunk opens and closes with ease!    Has not done that for at least 8 years.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »

It's amazing what people do to cars.  It's even more amazing why people throw them out!

Snotty

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
It's amazing what people do to cars.  It's even more amazing why people throw them out!

Amen to that!!  I saw several cars - mostly Caddys - that had no apparent reasons to be in a junk yard.  But, I could hear the words of the former owner in my head: "Oh, my car was getting so old and dangerous, I sold it to the nice man at the junk yard for 50 bucks.  That's not much but at least it won't hurt anyone in the future.'

That's a QUOTE from a woman whom I once asked what had happened to her car.

IDIOTS!!!

(God love 'em....)  I once heard a comedian say that you can call anyone anything as long as you add that wish. 

firedome

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »

Aren't really built to last, cost cutting everywhere. Manufacturing of truly durable cars ended in the early-mid 50s, some would say late 40s.  Even late '50s cars are not nearly as well put together as, say, a '55 Dodge.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:04:10 AM »

I think you are close Roger, I say 54.  There were significant changes between 54 and 55 in the metals used, prep of the metals, and other engineered parts like front ends.

Snotty

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »

I agree, cars are made to be driven and tossed today.  But, there are numerous cars that go to a junk yard that I would gladly buy for the same price - and keep using!  After all, I'm talking about a Stratus with 185,000 miles! 

One of my church members dumped her late '90s Crown Vic because it would not start.  (Needed a new electronic module; I got it started after worship one morning.)  She said she was offered a grand from Ford if she bought a new car.  I told her I'd give her that for the car if she'd let me buy it instead of letting them have it - the deal would remain the same for her.  When I called her the next day she said, "Oh you would not have wanted that old car.  I took the trade."

The car had 24,000 miles on it and all the options!!!!  It even had four-wheel disk brakes!!!

Slap me in the head!!!

Guests

Stratus Repair
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »

No, gently slap some sense into her, but it is probably too late for that. Sometimes people trying to do the right thing turns out to be the wrong thing and they don't even know it. Reminds me of the Joe Dirt movie

firedome

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »

" I say 54"  ... this is true, the 55s were a step down in quality from 54,  but so much better looking that it was an all time record sales year, and then 57s were a huge drop in quality from 56 from which Chrysler had a hard time recovering their reputation for years.  I have a hard time liking any car after about 73.  

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »

Actually I have to say they got better in 74 to 81, then turned to crap again.  The QC on Polaraco is horrible.  The specs must have been plus or minus a foot.

Anything from 55 to 59 counded like a bowl of rice krispies coming out of the showroom.  Snap Crackel and Pop

firedome

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 04:01:34 AM »

Yes, my 57s and 58s were loose, floppy and rust prone... but they sure
were pretty! Still the zenith of 1950s styling to my eyes.  Still
want another one.

1960-on models with the new unit body was a much stiffer, solid-er, better all around car.

And the smaller 62 Dart/Belv even better, it was a fabulous car to drive - light, fast, sporty even!

firedome2011-02-10 09:02:23
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Ken

• View Profile
Stratus Repair
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »

Scotty, as to your question RE: inner fender coming loose, I don't think it is normal, especially for the passenger side, but with 185K + miles, not surprising.

I'm trying to remember the retainers used for those, and I think it is a two-piece plastic post thingyma-BOB (BOB thingy? Nah : P ).  I think the driver's side would be more prone to coming loose since the battery is hidden there.

ANYhoo, I'll bet the retainers are brittle due to time/life in the Bake, and you might be able to get new ones from a dealership or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25-SPLASH-SHIELD-FASCIA-RETAINERS-N803421-S-6501590-/230539633025?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ad3ba181

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC