MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: '69 Monaco w/ Electronic Ignition  (Read 756 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
'69 Monaco w/ Electronic Ignition
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:18:31 AM »

Here's the next question regarding the '69 Monaco Wagon:

I have replaced the igniton parts, including Coil, Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs, Ignition Control Module, and Ballast Resistor. The reason being, it was getting sort of a miss, and since I just got the thing, I wanted to have all new anyway... so I know when it was done.

The car runs a ton better than it was, because one of the wires had, at some point, spent too much time near the manifold... this is good.
So the question part is... Does the electronic ignition still require the little capacitor that attaches to the coil, and is bolted to the ignition coil bracket? 

I noticed that you can buy an Ignition Coil Capacitor from Rock Auto for a '69, but they didn't have electronic ignition. So I looked at later models, like a '75 Charger, and they don't list that capacitor. Summit Racing doesn't seem to list it at all. This would ordinarily tell me that I don't need it, but I don't want to assume...

The wire is a little brittle on it, and I had to strip it and reconnect it, so if I still need it, I will order one for the '69 from Rock Auto, unless there is a different one I need, and someone can tell me where to get it.

Thanks, as always...

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:35:36 AM »

Quote from: schaefman
So the question part is... Does the electronic ignition still require the little capacitor that attaches to the coil, and is bolted to the ignition coil bracket? 

Throw it away.  It was to keep the mechanical points from burning out.

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:23:42 AM »

Actually it was for Radio noise suppression .....the capacitor in the distributor was to keep the points from burning up.

But no ,  you don't need it.

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:46:33 AM »

you're right.  I had it backwards...

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:37 AM »

Thanks to both of you.. I will toss it, and be done with it...
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »

Even without it I never had radio noise.  Only when I had a faulty plug wire.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Greg Cunningham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »

Once they came out with resistor spark plugs it sort of made the capacitor useless. I leave mine on just for appearance of originality.

summer scheifer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »

Quote from: schaefman
Here's the next question regarding the '69 Monaco Wagon:

I have replaced the igniton parts, including Coil, Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs, Ignition Control Module, and Ballast Resistor. The reason being, it was getting sort of a miss, and since I just got the thing, I wanted to have all new anyway... so I know when it was done.

The car runs a ton better than it was, because one of the wires had, at some point, spent too much time near the manifold... this is good.

I noticed that you can buy an Ignition Coil Capacitor from Rock Auto for a '69, but they didn't have electronic ignition. So I looked at later models, like a '75 Charger, and they don't list that capacitor. Summit Racing doesn't seem to list it at all. This would ordinarily tell me that I don't need it, but I don't want to assume...

The wire is a little brittle on it, and I had to strip it and reconnect it, so if I still need it, I will order one for the '69 from Rock Auto, unless there is a different one I need, and someone can tell me where to get it.

Thanks, as always...

hi mate how do you replace your ignition parts? you didn't bring it to the shop? i'm scared replacing mine.hehe. how much did you spend for your ignition? i got my wagon and need an ignition also my friend is looking for ford f150 ignition coil. does the store have those? thanks for any help mate. summerscheifer2011-01-22 02:01:07
Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 05:57:56 AM »

Well, this one had the electronic ignition when I got it. However, a buddy and I did that operation on my '69 Polara Wagon, seems like a million years ago.

He took the electronic ignition from his 1976 Cordoba, which had a 400ci engine that he blew. He put the advance springs from my distributor on it, since it was a 383HP, and popped it in. Then we mounted the ignition control module on the firewall, connected everything up, and we were off.

Now, if you don't have a donor ignition, it will cost more, but I would think you could pick one up for not too much, if you don't want to order a new setup.
Hope this helps.

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC