MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ThermoQuad Info  (Read 7005 times)

Corey

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »

[/QUOTE]

I have an Edelbrock that looks like that and its not being used lol

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

glen cyr

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »

I've got a Demonsizzler modified carb from David also and it runs like a scalled cat. Here is a great discussion on the TQ's and David gives away a few secrets and what to look for. http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61792 Lot's of great info there. Here is my latest build of a 72' TQ for a 340 A/T #6139SA. I can't post a picture as my download of the pics are too much,but maybe they will come up in the add i've got for it on Kijjiji.  You can see how i modified the lever to accept a manual choke cable so if anyone is looking on how to set up a linkage for manual,this is a good reference. Click on Enlarge to get a good view. http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-Mopar-1972-Thermoquad-carb-6139SA-W0QQAdIdZ240901744 

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Ken

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Bob. . .Rich said NOT to use that with a TQ.  The factory unit is better

I've got a Holley Street Dominator I'm planning on using.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »

[/QUOTE]

You've been working for the Gov. too long.  You have me confused.  

You said you you had a TQ and showed a pic with the fuel line.  Now you're going to use a Holly?  That's a mistake. . .   Holly is a POS.  They're over priced nightmares.

I was never a big fan of the TQ either!  They  have been plagued with problems over the years.  I've had my best results and reliability with an AFB and the Eddys.  'm still thinking  of using an Eddy over the TQ, no matter what Rich E says.

POLARACO2010-11-30 02:19:57
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jacques

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »

Steve, wake up, the street dominator is an intake  as for their carbs, they also have carbs that are doing fine on the street, my buddy's 71 Cutlass 'vert is ran on one before converting to propane and did a very good mileage with it.

Sjak Brak2010-11-30 03:29:18
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 03:39:17 AM »

I disagree that Holley are race carbs and not street carbs. Many mopes came from the factory with Holley carb ( six pak, 1970 440's.. and so on). I get the same mileage with my 600 that i did with my AFB.. or my Thermobog..

As for the Propane, he used spreadbore intakes and never needed an adapter..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Jacques

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 04:07:34 AM »

[/QUOTE]Not sure what propane parts your boss used to work with. I meant the adapter for the Impco 425 (or the sadly discontinued OHG X-450) on the baseplate. On a squarebore Holley, its a direct fit, but on the TQ its not (because the TQ-secondaries are wider than the mixer body so a spacer is needed). The intake itself is usually not the issue :)Sjak Brak2010-11-30 09:10:26
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Riyad

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »

Quote from: Sjak Brak

this scares me, I want a 3310 Holley for my E85 application and there aren't a lot of options
Mopars:
86' Dodge 600SE
73' Imperial LeBaron

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »

I loved my 3310.. easy to work on.. easy to tune.. go for it.. I ran one for 11 years and loved it..

BUT... make sure it has the backfire checkball and spring installed.. you will thank me when you never have to change a power valve again. ( the kit is SUPER easy to install)..

I would also buy the quick change secondary spring kit if your carb doesn't already have it.. You just pop the top and change the spring... simple and fast.

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Ken

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361
I disagree that Holley are race carbs and not street carbs. Many mopes came from the factory with Holley carb ( six pak, 1970 440's.. and so on). I get the same mileage with my 600 that i did with my AFB.. or my Thermobog..
In 67 or 68 Holley was also used as the standard carb on Chryslers and Imperials but droppend due to quality issues IIRC...

Sjak, that was for cars that didn't have the CAP package (Cleaner Air Package, aka California emission set-up).  Cars sold in California were equipped with Carter AFB carbs, like mine.

Steve, sorry, I forgot to clarify that the Holley SD is an aluminum intake manifold (I  can hear him saying "Damned kid!")

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 02:53:55 PM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361

BUT... make sure it has the backfire checkball and spring installed.. you will thank me when you never have to change a power valve again. ( the kit is SUPER easy to install)..

I made my own years ago....find the port on the bottom of the Holley carb for the power valve, split the baseplate from the body, drill the orifice from the topside of the baseplate, down halfway and slightly larger for a check ball, take a small phillips screwdriver that will fit in your drilled hole and lightly tap with a hammer to make 4 bypass passages to let vacuum go under the check ball. This eliminates the spring.

When you have an engine backfire, the pressure blows the check ball up against the carb body gasket and seals off the destructive pressure. The check ball was smaller than a BB.....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »

.....but even after all of this discussion, nobody said WHY the TQ is best on a smoggy OEM manifold.....seems kinda hard to believe

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

glen cyr

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »

The Street Dominator manifold is a great street manifold as it has short runners and if you add a divider down the center of the carb base it helps with the bottom end. This single plane thinks it's a dual plane. The ports are a bit smaller than my M-1 manifold. NO adapter required when using a TQ as the SD is a speadbore manifold. The warped body on the TQ's is a misconception. Sure there has been,but it's usually from an overheated engine. I've seen plenty of warped afb's,holleys etc. when you throw excess heat to em'. The most common failures are the bowel wells that are epoxied in place. I remove it all and JB weld them in place as the factory stuff gets brittle after a lot of years and cycling hot and cold. I ran an 850 TQ for years with a SD manifold and it is one great package and will clear ANY hood.

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
.....but even after all of this discussion, nobody said WHY the TQ is best on a smoggy OEM manifold.....seems kinda hard to believe

He didn't tell me either when I asked Bob.  Other than mentioning it flows correctly and doesn't bog with the TQ's.  Looking at the one I got, I ahve to guess his reasoning is they are made for one another.

Don't twist what I am saying now. . .   He told me to get an 800 TQ AND this manifold.  The closest thing to it is the Eddy Thunder.  Which is a better deal because you don't need the tune up kit.

Cory?  You know TQ's really well?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jacques

• View Profile
ThermoQuad Info
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 10:25:38 PM »

Quote from: Imperiyad

Quote from: [b
POLARACO[/b]]
Hollys are racing carbs and poor for street use

Its not a race carb ;)

But dissassemble and check the carb before installation, you may need to get rid of some casting barbs, adjust throttle blades so they actually close, and stuff like that. And have a rebuild kit ready, just in case you ruin a gasket during disassembly :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC