MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Question  (Read 455 times)

Corey

• View Profile
Paint Question
« on: November 20, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »

I have been curious about the water based auto paint has anyone ever worked with it and if so how does it compare with conventional paints? Thoughts and Opinions please

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Paint Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:07:34 PM »

It's like working with any latex.  It's hard to get here, but I hear the finish is similar to the old single stage paints.

I was exploring it myself.  Funny you brought it up today, I was at the paint store yesterday and saw some samples of it.  They said it was pretty durable, and pretty much like Lacquar to work with.  He also said it was pretty chip resistant like the polyurethanes.  I know California insisted on it some years ago and people hated it.  But like everything else, the material has evolved
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Corey

• View Profile
Paint Question
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »

Well Steve I plan on aquiring another C sometime hopefully soon and I was kinda lookin into it when i was workin on my 74 at that time it was fairly new stateside i know they were using it in europe just want to get some idea.

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

azblackhemi

• View Profile
Paint Question
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:51:36 AM »

SoCal mandated it and some of the larger shops here in Az are using it. Most of the painters resisted as long as they could but they all like it after usung it. Color match is even good on spot jobs. You really need a booth with good air flow for proper drying though. You still need to use a conventional type clear over it . For you guys back in the real bad humidity you might have some drying problems withuot a booth.
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Paint Question
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 06:13:51 AM »

This sample had a water based acrylic clear on it.  It didn't have the depth that I get with the Poly.  I didn't know they could make it clearPOLARACO2010-11-21 11:14:19
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC