MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspension Question  (Read 538 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Suspension Question
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »

Ok, so it's distinctly possible that I may have bitten of more than I can chew, but I feel this '69 Monaco Wagon is worth whatever effort I can put into it.  The interior, much of the body, and the engine itself, all seem to be in great shape.

When I picked this up, I failed in a number of areas, regarding inspecting the vehicle without the emotion of really wanting it for the asking price.

Besides the fiberglass work in the fenders that turned out to be poor, I found that upon closer inspection, the front subframe and suspension parts are rustier than I would have liked. Of course, the car is 41 years old, so who was I kidding?

Anyway, here is a picture under the passenger side front wheel. Is it possible to tell, from looking at this, if I am going to have to hunt down replacement control arms, etc... or if I could pull them, sandblast them, and use what is in there?

I will probably start on the body first, which will be a learning experience in itself, but I want to start looking around, if that's what I'm going to need to do, so I can tackle this stuff when the time comes.

Thanks as always,

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Suspension Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:33:59 AM »

There are great rebuild kits out there.. When in doubt.. pull it apart, sandblast and inspect the parts and install new bushings and ball joints. This will kill any doubt that you might have something unsafe.

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Suspension Question
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »

Those A-arms will just be fine sandblasted and painted. 

Guests

Suspension Question
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »

I agree the components simply need to be properly cleaned and painted (I like things like this powdercoated, last forever that way) and new rubber installed. There are several companies that have kits to replace every wear part and connector, but the big upper and lower control arms are OK.

I would  suggest, from experience of having bodywork having to be touched up because of minor damage from doing other items after the fact (like the front end), so I always do body work last, then install the interior, with one exception. If I redo the interior, I will paint the interior and door jambs and window sill/lips, install glass and leave the moulding off, mask it all off so it is basically sealed, then do the outside of the car. If the car is on rollers it can be moved and the interior not interfered with until all is totally complete. This is how a lot of the body-on restoration professionals like to do it and it works well.

• View Profile
Suspension Question
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:35:15 AM »

Hello,
         You should change it with the help of this online store. I just changed my suspension kit from here and now it is looking and working too good. You can also paint it but that thing will not make it new.

thanks!!

nellyy2011-03-26 12:37:26

Brian

• View Profile
Suspension Question
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »

Looks to me that all the main parts are in OK shape, but blasting, or tanking them will tell you for sure.  Just get a complete front end kit form Just suspension (best) or PST (economy).  I've been running the PST kit in the wagon now for a few years with no problems, but I had bought the kit several years before JS started offering their kits, so I used what I had.

As for painting VS powder coating....to me the cost is the deciding factor.  Yes Powder coating is a great finish and will last a very long time...but painting it now will give me something to "redo" when I finaly retire...

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC