MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving My Imperial  (Read 866 times)

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »

Well, it's been mentioned in other posts, but it's official now....

My 73 Imperial is on the road!

I have driven it to work every day last week, and today too.
After 750 miles here's the critique:

It had a complete failure of the charging system on the way home from work the first time I used it. The regulator and battery were new, but I hadn't used the headlights until then. The MSD box needs 12 volts all the time, so it was sapping all the other circuits. The alternator was tested and it was only putting out 11 volts....a premium NAPA 65 amp rebuilt unit fixed that.

My new gas tank sending unit reads only half when the tank is full. I got the repro unit from  Valley Vintage on Ebay, so I may have to return it after I get a chance to test and rule out everything else....

It needs a carb rebuild (accel pump not too good), but I will keep all of the carb's adjustments the same as it runs pretty good on long 50 mph drives (that's pretty much the speed limit all the way to work and back). I seems to be getting around 12-13 MPG so far.

The exhaust is a little loud and there is a loud click or clunk in the driver's side leaf spring mountings when you get on it around a turn (nothing looks broken and I lubed the dry bushings).  It needs some sort of resonators as the Hemi mufflers are loud while crawling around parking lots and at highway speeds.

The radio antenna won't go up (you can hear the motor turning) and the Napa battery they said was right for my car is way too small in storage capacity for this thing.

The MSD ignition and all of the tune-up work I did (including timing chain) really shows when crusing.....effortless just like a luxury boat should be. Once the carb is up to the task it should really be something to drive.

The "evil Chrysler servo" that runs the Auto Temp 2 was repaired and rebuilt by me, and it leaked (lucky I had only water in the system)....I had used hardening Permatex on the gaskets. I disassembled it again and sealed everything with Ultra Black silicone sealer, which did the trick. Now I have heat!

Everywhere I park it, it gets praise and accolades....the pizza guy who's family surname is "Imperiali" or "Imperioli" wants to deliver his pizzas in it!

Sure there's a few sour pusses that sneer at it or stare in wonderment, but that could be jealousy......maybe a HYBRID emblem from a Toyota stuck on it or a bumper sticker saying "I get 25 MPG....how about your POS?" would cheese them off!

stitcherbob2010-11-15 20:31:19
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »

Hell I get 25 on Polaraco.  Better than allot of cars out there
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Ken

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »

Awesome, Bob!  It truly is a pleasure to get on the open road an cruise in these dinosaurs from a different era 

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »

PICS!! PICS!!

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Corey

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »

Bob send me your carb I need something to do lol  

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:38:53 AM »

Quote from: stinger1170
Bob send me your carb I need something to do lol  

I don't think I could bear to not be able to drive it while it was apart!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Corey

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:53:47 AM »

I know how that feels when i was workin on my 74 fury i was chompin at the bit to get it on the road

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Jacques

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:29 AM »

Congrats buddy!

[/QUOTE]The MSD is happy with even as little as 9 volts, but it will need 10A.
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 07:37:18 AM »

I've  waited a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for this.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 08:15:27 AM »

Heh  He still has to work off this car.  I have a set of milk crates that need to be done.

Riyad

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »

Well I'm Jelious 
Funny I had the same problem with the fuel sending unit but with the original one, the guage showed 3/4 once then next time showed near half after driving about 40 miles.... before starting the project I was sure the tank is empty since will be removed, after removing I got 30 liters back :D
MPG was the same...

Maybe Optima battery is a better choice..

PHOTOS  Please
Imperiyad2010-11-16 19:07:55
Mopars:
86' Dodge 600SE
73' Imperial LeBaron

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »

no pics yet ....it's been rainy all day.....plus the paint is atrocio....atroach.....the paint sucks!

Tonight more minor troubles....first I lost power assist to the brakes. I had to stand on the pedal....the culprit is a new, too-soft vacuum hose that feeds the booster from the intake fitting which is vertical. It would have been perfect if Ma Mopar made it a 90 deg. fitting. 
 It has to go through a hole in the accelerator linkage mount and over the valvecover, so it was being bent too much and choked off the vacuum.....

Then the traffic was bumper to bumper and it started running hot. I really need to get a coolant recovery bottle on this thing....(or remember to top off the coolant once every few days ) Then the wiper linkage started to make a slight squeak.....when you're watching the temp gauge, gas gauge and brakes in traffic all I needed was to think the wipers were gonna break!

Once traffic opened up I ran fine all the way home...now to go out in the dark and drizzle to fix these things for tomorrow's trip. The rebuilt fuel injectors should be here for the '91 Eldorado tomorrow. Once that's running I can split time between the two cars and fix these little nagging faults.

BTW a guy at a gas station tonight asked if it weighed 7000 lbs........yup, people sure have different ideas about these C bods.

stitcherbob2010-11-16 20:03:10

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »

Jacques

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »

[/QUOTE] I may have a bit of piping for this purpose, salvaged from a 73 2-dr Impy..... I'm in Berlin for the rest of the week, but could check next week at the garage.
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Driving My Imperial
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 03:41:35 AM »

Thanx, Sjak , but it is easy to fix my current hose.....I am going to bend up a metal line and hide it inside the hose where it needs to bend. The old hose may have been molded, or it took the shape over time. It was very brittle from the heat back there behind the carb.

If I can find the correct size, I might use a spring like a lower radiator hose does....

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC