MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: engine swap  (Read 883 times)

Daryl

• View Profile
engine swap
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:59:47 AM »

collecting parts for my newly aquired 68 Fury 2 door sedan.  it currently has a slant six and i'm going to be putting a 440 in its place.  what is the best/easiest way to do this?  any thoughts, advice, or input would be great thanks

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:01:52 AM »

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Yup. . .  Even the wiring harness may be long enough if you are smart about how you do it.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:03:23 AM »

Quote from: ike61
any thoughts, advice, or input would be great thanks

First off, welcome to the Forum! 

You will need to change the transmisson if it's an automatic, as well as the radiator, motor mounts, driveshaft, torsion bars, and perhaps the "K Member."  Also, if the rear is a small 7" unit it will not hold up to a 440 under stress.  You will need to swap to a Chrysler 8.75 rear or other, stronger unit. 

Then toss in the usual re-wiring that is necessary in any motor swap.  We did this with a '73 Gremlin going from a blown 6 banger to an AMC 401.

Having said that, I do have a thought....

I understand why you want to do this, but do you know how few C Body Mopars came with /6s in them?  You are going to take a very rare (although unvaluable) car and turn it into a very common clone with just another 440 in it.  I would suggest you build the snot out of the "Leaning Tower of Power" and show it!!  It WILL draw crowds!

That's my advice.  But, it is your car.

Not trying to irritate you with my words.

Scott
It's green here in Chico!!

Daryl

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:57:42 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
any thoughts, advice, or input would be great thanks

First off, welcome to the Forum! 

You will need to change the transmisson if it's an automatic, as well as the radiator, motor mounts, driveshaft, torsion bars, and perhaps the "K Member."  Also, if the rear is a small 7" unit it will not hold up to a 440 under stress.  You will need to swap to a Chrysler 8.75 rear or other, stronger unit. 

Then toss in the usual re-wiring that is necessary in any motor swap.  We did this with a '73 Gremlin going from a blown 6 banger to an AMC 401.

Having said that, I do have a thought....

I understand why you want to do this, but do you know how few C Body Mopars came with /6s in them?  You are going to take a very rare (although unvaluable) car and turn it into a very common clone with just another 440 in it.  I would suggest you build the snot out of the "Leaning Tower of Power" and show it!!  It WILL draw crowds!

That's my advice.  But, it is your car.

Not trying to irritate you with my words.

thanks for the welcome.  It does have a 8.75 in it now.  although it may not be valueable, its very different.  I think it will be worth more with a 440 in it too.   

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361
Schumacher Engine mounts..
Ask me why I know....

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »

collecting parts for my newly aquired 68 Fury 2 door sedan.  it currently has a slant six and i'm going to be putting a 440 in its place.  what is the best/easiest way to do this?  any thoughts, advice, or input would be great thanks

Is that thing a stick or an automatic?

firedome

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »

I agree with Scott, keep it a /6. It's super rare. 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Daryl

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »

Quote from: Commando1

automatic

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »

Now that I think about it, a 6 Banger C is very rare.  I know a guy who collects them.  Had a 69 Fury 3 vert with a 225 in it.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 02:41:09 PM »

how about a slant 6 with an aluminum intake and tube header (Clifford, Offenhauser, etc), adapt a throttle body EFI from a Dodge minivan (3.0 V6 maybe), make up a MegaSquirt EFI controller and put a shift kit in the A904 auto trans.....bet it would surprise a lot of 8 cylinder guys and would return better driveability/mpg......Hot Rod did somthing like this to a Ford Maverick a while back using a Mopar 2.2 throttle body. And nitrous, but that's a story for another time

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

firedome

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 02:53:46 PM »

Paul "SuperCar" Amato collects them too.  Big block cars are so cliche, so go against the flow!

When gas hits $8 a gallon, which it will, you'll be glad you did.

firedome2010-11-15 19:55:36
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »

His car.. let him do what he wants...

How rare is a /6 Challenger? Rarer than a hemi... but Challengers looks a tons better with a hemi..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Corey

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 04:38:16 PM »

I agree with everyone here it is your car so i say drop that 440 into it but i have also heard that the slant can be built up to run with the V8's. I say weigh the options get your pricing for what you will need for the conversion and go from there.

Your Combobulator has become Discombobulated

Daryl

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Now that I think about it, a 6 Banger C is very rare.  I know a guy who collects them.  Had a 69 Fury 3 vert with a 225 in it.
before I aquired mine, my brother bought a 67 Fury 4 door for $200.  it was rusty, but you talk about a cheap car.  Slant 6, three on the tree, rubber floor mat, manual steering and brakes, and radio delete.  we don't get along now so I wasn't able to save it from the crusher.(he bought it for the steering box and clutch pedals)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC