MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Over-Priced Mopar Stuff? Check this out!  (Read 648 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Over-Priced Mopar Stuff? Check this out!
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:34:36 AM »

OK People, step right up and pull out your cash!  No, the car does not come with these!

Really???

These were in the Swap Meet at Hod Rod Reunion, Famoso Raceway, Bakersfield.
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »

steve sclafani

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »

Mybe it's the same guy selling the Rusty Hurst 300.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:51:02 PM »

original Shelby wheels with Goodyear Polyglas tires.....the wheels were $1500 each back in 1991.... add some for inflation....about 19 YEARS WORTH

sooo... 5 wheels @ $1500 = $7500 back then.....10 G's now. Where's the problem?

My ex-boss sent me on a 2 day all expenses paid trip to Carlilse Pa back then with 2 G's to buy either original fog lamps or some wheels for a 1967 Shelby GT500....both were about $1500 each. I came home and handed him the $$$ back and said there were none (not true). Good thing I did, as he wasn't planning on spending that kind of coin anyway!

I wouldn't give much for the tires...but I bet he's banking on "original" 1966 air in them thar tars!

stitcherbob2010-10-26 19:59:27
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »

Those wheels look like Cromadora Ferarri/Fiat knockoffs, which I'm sure
they were... Ford GT40s and Mark IVs  were mano a mano with the
Italians at the time. Ford, led by John Wyer, and brilliant drivers
Bruce McLaren, Ken Miles, Ritchie Ginther,  AJ Foyt, Dan Gurney
and Denny Hulme beat them Eyetalians... those were the days.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:13 AM »

A pair of Max Wedge prototype exhaust manifolds that were never put into production just sold for $15k on eBay.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Bobby, I have a church member who has a cousin and an Uncle who both own Shelby's.  They said this guy is NUTS!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
A pair of Max Wedge prototype exhaust manifolds that were never put into production just sold for $15k on eBay.

I can believe that; there's always idiots with more money than brains.

I was at Fall Fling once when a guy had a '71 HemiCuda 4-speed 'vert wrapped in Police tape.  He was offered 2 million dollars and turned it down.

I am convinced there were two idiots at the park that day.  This was before these cars were drawing even one mil through the BJ pimps.

As for these wheels, you can buy them NEW through Coker Tire - and have polyglass tires if you want (but I wouldn't) - for $1,500 plus the expense for the rubber.  The only way a purist would know the difference is if the wheels were removed so the backs could be seen.

Or, for 10 grand I could have the opportunity to tell people I own originals!!!

No.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »

Ya gotta realize, there are people out there who don't care....they need the real thing so their car is real all the way through. The $1.5 mil Ferrari Daytona I'm working on is an example of this....the reproduction vent window rubber seals are $650 each, the steering wheel is $2500, the hydraulic/gas charged struts that hold the hood up are $590 each (x2) and the ashtray is a whopping $495 !!! But on a car like this it has to be right, and NOS originals from Italy can be 3 - 4 times those prices.

The Shelby wheels may not add 10K to a regular Mustang, but they can assure that your 66 Shelby doesn't lose any value. I sold 2 Koni rear shocks off of the 6000 mile 67 Gt500 I restored years ago on Ebay.....got $250 for 'em (and the rusty hood pins got $75 from an overseas customer)

stitcherbob2010-10-27 19:15:52
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »

Bob, what was the original cost of that Ferrari and what was the same on any given Shelby??  They are apples and oranges!!!  Any way you cut it the wheels in my picture were put on a mass-produced car from FORD, not a man-made, limited production, hand-built exotic from Italy.  And yes, I know the story of Shelby and his Skunk Works.  Regardless, these wheels were mounted on a MUSTANG.  Ten grand for these wheels is no less than lunacy!

Do the math with the parts you listed and compare them to the original cost of that Daytona.  Now, compare the price of these wheels with the original price of any Shelby Mustang.  The wheels now cost MORE than the car did when new.  If the same were to happen with the Ferrari those window seals would sell for $275,000.  This is a truly bad comparison Bob.

Yes, I do realize that there are people out there with more money than brains.  Unfortunately, it's these idiots that are making the old car hobby a rich man's game.  Personally that pisses me off.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »

1966 Shelby - $4675

1972 Ferrari Daytona Spyder - $24,000

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:01 AM »

OK, drop a "0" off of my suggested price of the window rubber, my point still holds.  Actually, it would be very low.  If the wheels for a '66 Shelby are going for 10 grand, the same percentage when applied to the Ferrari would make those seals sell for $51,366.

You can't compare a Piper Cub to a P-51.  Yes, they're both aircraft and old, but that's where the comparison ends.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »

I was done trying to convice anyone about this, then I mentioned it to one of my co-workers (and Ford guy) ....he said the tires alone were going for BIG money....original Polyglas tires to be mounted and used on rarely driven showcars can bring 1500-2000 each. Something I wasn't aware of. Add that to the wheels (remember, the sign said set of 5 ) and 10G's starts to sound like a bargain.

Not for my cars ....I get away with new radials!
stitcherbob2010-10-29 23:44:42

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 04:01:22 AM »

A set of 4 Polyglass tires at Mopar Nationals in 2007 were $5000 to $6000 a set...I just about died

The Steering wheel for my Windsor ( because it was also available on the Savoy etc..) was $350...

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »

Who'd put 40 yr old tires on a valuable car anyhow?  Unless it's
just in 'n out of a trailer, which is a big waste of a car ... an
doesn't Coker repop the Polyglas?

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC