MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some lift in the rear  (Read 1068 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Need some lift in the rear
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Go out to the salvage yard and find a half ton truck, find leaves that are the same width as your leaves (somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0inches wide). [rest snipped]
Ooof - I'm sure it's simple, but reading that makes it sound complicated in parts.

"You want to keep the leaf with the bushings in it for your vehicle, and two or three of the longer leaves will be sufficient..."
You kinda lost me there.  I get why I have to keep my leaf w/ the bushings...but do you mean keep two or three of MY car's longer leaves, or to take 2-3 of the truck leaves as replacements for my leaves?

P.S. Didn't cop R-body springs come with an extra leaf?  5 instead of 4?  Would this be an opportunity to add the extra leaf to get a bit more lift that way?

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »

Where do you find a cop R body these days? - just wonderin...from a former R body owner x 3.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, got a little rushed with the kid, so let me clarify.  Historically, Mopar truck springs were of different quality than the cars, so they are good donors.

The idea is to replace two or three old leaves in the car with a couple of similar length truck leaves. You are right, keep the leaf with the bushings on your car, and as a matter of fact you don't even have to unbolt them from the car doing it this way, so the rear geometry remains stock.

Once the leaf is broken apart as described with the C clamp, yes, you can add an additional leaf (remove two or three of your car leafs and replace them with two or three or four leafs from the truck leafs). A note of caution is, if you are going to add an additional leaf to the car, you will need to get or make a new center bolt because it will be guaranteed, too short, but not a big deal. The center bolt has a round head on it, so you can get a proper length bolt after you get the leafs clamped together (NAPA carries them, or make your own by grinding the head round or taking a lathe to it, or possibly the truck bolt will be long enough and actually be cut to length).

Get the bolt in the correct direction, always embarrassing when you have to clamp the spring, pull the bolt out and flip if over 

For the R body police springs, measure center bolt to outer bushing (both directions) and bushing to bushing, (verifies overall length and whether the rear end is centered the same on the leafs), you have a fifty-fifty chance they will bolt in direct (they will or they won't), so, if they won't, again, keep your bushing spring and change out all the leafs no matter how many there are (as long as the springs aren't sagging, too).

Hope this clarifies a bit.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 04:02:53 AM »

What about just adding another regular R body spring? There is a
standard 79 Newport in the same yard I mentioned earlier. I've never
seen a cop car R body in a yard, ever.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 06:29:48 AM »

Quote from: firedome
I've never
seen a cop car R body in a yard, ever.
I know a boneyard in a town called "West Alexander" - it's in extreme W. PA just off I80 - that has THREE R-bodies, TWO of which are cop cars and the other is a 5th Ave NYer.  They're pretty well thrashed and rusted; the NYer doesn't even have an interior (I should know, 'cause I'm the one that stripped it) - but, hey, parts is parts.

'79 Cop St. Regis

'80 Cop Gran Fury

'79 NYer

It's called Martin's Auto.  Problem is, it's not really a U-pull, so he's not thrilled to have people over, and the guy - JD Martin - is a nice guy but waaaaaay too scatterbrained to pull requested parts.  I've given up trying to get parts off those cop cars from him via the phone.  You've got to be there in person - and will probably have to stay a few nights - and that's just too far for me.

But the rear springs on the Regis look like they're holding the car up nice and high:

I know the area well 'cause I used to live there.  Anyone up for a road trip? 

Guests

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 06:36:25 AM »

Like I said, if they are confirmed to be the same measurement at center connection point, and distance forward and back, yeah, swap the whole spring. It also is a good time to replace those front and rear rubber bushings while they are out, when they start wearing out, they do get a bit mushy. I would figure $100-125 would be a fair price for a pair. If the front bracket is the same as the B bodies, its four nuts to take off and the rear shackle bolts or nuts on the rear, and the U bolts at the rear end, pretty easy.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 06:39:50 AM »

Sorry, got a little rushed with the kid, so let me clarify.  Historically, Mopar truck springs were of different quality than the cars, so they are good donors.
Thanks Dana44, that did help.  But since the leaves swap out individually - lemmie ask you this - do the springs themselves swap?  I mean, as a unit.  Can I just take the springs off a 1/2 ton pickup and bolt it to the back of Wanda to get the lift I'm looking for?

I realized last night this might be harder than I thought because along with the springs, I have a rear stabilizer I got off a '79 Cordoba that I want to add.  I THINK - if I read my parts catalog correctly, I have to get a different spring plate than the one I currently have.  There seem to be two listed - one that accepts a rear stabilizer and one that doesn't.  They both have different part #s as well.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »

2 cop cars... Wow!!  I'd love an 80 Gran Fury...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »

[/QUOTE]

I can just about guarantee the distances of the three points (front bushing to center pin, rear bushing to center pin, and overall length) between a truck and a car are different, thus the swap method to beef up the springs while retaining the stock location of the rear end. Trucks tend to be more evenly spaced front to rear, cars are longer in rear/shorter in front, in relation to the rear end. And I can imagine there is a difference in shock/U-bolt plate for the rear sway bar, but check the ends, it may be a bracket of quarter inch plate that simply comes off the U bolts for the rear end portion of the swaybar. Maybe an internet picture, or even one of the suspension companies that do swaybars migh have a picture for reference.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 07:30:30 AM »

Dana44 - that makes sense.  I guess I'll have to do what you mentioned before and remove individual leaves from the truck springs and put them in my own unit.

...but I'll wait 'till the spring (no pun intended) to do it.  It's getting too cold up here to crawl around on the ground in a U-pull-it.  Why couldn't I live in Florida instead of upstate NY?

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 08:27:39 AM »

What, with all those blue hairs and old coots that eat at 4 PM?

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 10:55:37 AM »

Quote from: attkrlufy
  Why couldn't I live in Florida instead of upstate NY?

Commando12010-11-01 14:56:33

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »

He forgot to tell you he lives in the Ghetto
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »