MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Typewriter trans part  (Read 726 times)

Andy

Typewriter trans part
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »

I've spent more money looking for this clip than it's worth. It holds one of the shift cables to the pusbuttons operating lever under the dash. I've been to 3 auto parts stores, 2 hardware stores, a Chrysler, Ford and GM dealer and no one has a clip this small.

Any ideas where I may get one of these things. I've run out of ideas. Oh I did find a place on the web that probably has them, IF I want to buy 1000 of them! I took a picture of it next to a dime so you can see how small it is...

One other question. The cables hook up on either side of the housing. How do I know which cable to hook up to what side? What does each cable control and how can I make sure I have the rioght cable? They're just hanging under the dash. I haven't crawled under the car so I'm assuming they're still hooked up to the trans. I don't want to hook them up, put the car in drive and have it reverse out the back of the garage!  

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »

Have you tried a local industrial fastener supply house?  You could use a appropriately sized washer and a cotter pin too.  All it does is keep the pin in the hole.  There's no real stress on it.

You'll have to do the process of elimination on the cables.  Figure out which cable is which and mout it according to the operation of the mech. . .

Best I can do from 900 miles away
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »

steve sclafani

• View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:43:24 AM »

Fischer Automatic Transmissions (FATSCO) in Pinebrook, New Jersey should have your "R" clips.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »

That's where I got My trans seal too

glen cyr

• View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:54 PM »

If you went to a small engine shop or a marina/atv shop,they should have em' as they are quite common holding on throttle cables and such.

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »

A radio controlled aircraft/ car hobby shop will definitely have them that small

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Andy

Typewriter trans part
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 11:02:28 AM »

Yes I've tried them all, marina close by the house, one of the largest hobby shops in Illinois heavy into R/C anything, Fastenal industrial supply, an Old TIme Farm Hardware Store with Moses behind the counter, no one has this tiny little *&^%&$ of a clip!
I do think that  McMaster - Carr may have what I need or darn close to it AND I only have to buy 100! YAY! I took the measurements of the clip and, just to be sure, sent them a email before I order them.
Thanks for all the help, again! Now about putting this car back together!    

Andy

Typewriter trans part
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »

"You'll have to do the process of elimination on the cables.  Figure out which cable is which and mount it according to the operation of the mech. . . "

I think I've got that figured out.  One cable is for the park lever, and goes on the driver side of the control, the other for the different gears and neutral hooks up on the passenger side of the control. I found my service manual I managed to misplace a few weeks ago!

Best I can do from sitting 2 feet away and scratching my head!

Guests

Typewriter trans part
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »

It is not a critical part, so find a cotter pin that is the diameter of the wire and use that. Your cable should go on a rod with this size hole in it, then there should be a flat washer and then this clip, so it isn't this serious a piece. You may also try a sewing store, this is about the size of the clips used for dress buttons on uniforms (seriously).

bowk bernardo

• View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »

It is hard to find that clip. It cost me a lot too. I think that you will spend more finding it than its actual cost. I hope you can find it buddy. :D

steve sclafani

• View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 05:18:37 AM »

I used to work on high speed printers that used clips like that. We called them "R" clips. When trying to put one back on in a tight space, and it either flew across the room or fell into the bowels of the printer, we'd fabricate one out of a paper clip. Worked 100% of the time.

Snotty

• View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »

Quote from: dana44
It is not a critical part, so find a cotter pin that is the diameter of the wire and use that. Your cable should go on a rod with this size hole in it, then there should be a flat washer and then this clip, so it isn't this serious a piece. You may also try a sewing store, this is about the size of the clips used for dress buttons on uniforms (seriously).

That's my thinking because that's exactly what I've done in the past.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Typewriter trans part
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »

Quote from: FIN_NV
I used to work on high speed printers that used clips like that. We called them "R" clips. When trying to put one back on in a tight space, and it either flew across the room or fell into the bowels of the printer, we'd fabricate one out of a paper clip. Worked 100% of the time.

No wonder HP had financial problems  

So now, when I go to the ATM, I'll be getting paperclips, hatpins and Bobby Pins???

Good thing I don't use ATM's
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC