MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70s Cassette Radio repair? Anyone do it?  (Read 925 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
70s Cassette Radio repair? Anyone do it?
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

I've got a dying '70s-vintage AM/FM cassette radio that needs some work done to it because the potentiometers are super-scratchy and the cassette keeps ejecting randomly.  It's made the radio unlistenable.  I'm too busy right now to rewire the car to simply put in a later 80's-90's Mopar radio (though I'd like to eventually) - this model has a common ground for the speakers.

Do you guys know of anyone who will repair this late 70s cassette radio model?  I tried this guy: http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/  but he only does AM/FM and/or 8-track, not cassette.

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

steve sclafani

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »

How handy are you?
Do you use an IPod?

I installed a $35 powew amp in my 60 Fury, and use it with my IPod.

Forget about those cassettes!

POLARACO2010-11-09 11:27:12

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »

I agree.. you can get the units that run through the radio part of your stereo and you plug in an MP3 or Ipod in to it. It hides behind the dash and you just need to plug your antenna into it.. and from it into your antenna jack on the stereo in the car. Simple.. just needs a switched power..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »

Quote from: FIN_NV
How handy are you?
Do you use an IPod?

I installed a $35 powew amp in my 60 Fury, and use it with my IPod.
The problem is not so much adding the amp (two power wires - switched and unswitched), it's that I'd have to rewire all four speakers, too.  Those amps rely on a pos/neg circuit per speaker output (or whatever it's called).  Since the car is from '79, it came from the factory with only positive lines wired to the amp while the neg is a common system shared btw the speakers.

At this point I'd rather just use the wiring that's there and not have to run anything new because I don't really have the time for it.  I'd rather just yank the unit out to get fixed (even if I have to pay $150-$200 for someone to fix it), so that when it's done, it's good-as-new and I can just plug-'n-play and be done.  10 min total, tops.

I know - that's a lot of money to spend on obsolete technology when for about $50 I could do what you mentioned.  Here's my thinking on that:

1) a reconditioned late-70s-early-80s era Mopar AM/FM cassette is valuable.  On the open market people pay LOTS for them if they work (too much, IMHO).  So let's say I spend $175 reconditioning it.  When I have the time to do a proper rewire of the entire system, I can then sell the unit - in basically "new" condition on eBay - for around $125-$150.  So, in the end, I've spent $25-$50, taken almost none of my time away from me, and all the while:

2) I've kept the stock "look."

Oh, and I use a cassette adapter for my iPod.  Works great. Plus it means I can hook up anything w/ a 35mm output to my stereo - DVD, MP3, CD.....computer....whatev, just by sliding in the cassette.  Very convenient.

Quote from: 1965Windsor361
I agree. You can get the units that run through the radio part of your
stereo and you plug in an MP3 or Ipod in to it. It hides behind the dash
 and you just need to plug your antenna into it...just needs a switched power.
Yeah, that'd work fine - if the pots on the vol/power knob weren't so scratchy as to constantly sound like a microphone is being dragged across a gravel pit whenever I turn it on.    The unit is unlistenable, cassette AND radio.

This is why I think it'll be easier in the long run to find someone who can fix the durned thing.  Although none of these vintage radio guys want to touch it.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »

Quote from: attkrlufy
1) a reconditioned late-70s-early-80s era Mopar AM/FM cassette is valuable.  On the open market people pay LOTS for them if they work (too much, IMHO). 

That's for sure!  I saw the same AM/FM 8-track I have in my Newport for sale at Fall Fling last Saturday - $750!!!  I paid 25 bucks for moine and it works!!!  When did that happen.

As for your question, Hemmings Motor News often has advertisements by people/companies that do the work you're wondering about.  There are people out there that do this work.

I understand your desire to keep the dash stock.  I would love a nice stereo/CD player in my Newport, but wouldn't want it visible.  Nor do I want to cut holes in my interior and I have no package tray.  So, unless Bose makes little cube speakers for cars I'm SOL.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »

Really?  Then why couldn't I sell the one I have, even with a starting bid of 5 bucks.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »

I have a premium sound CD/Cassette out of my 97 Sebring that would fit in that car ... replaced it with an MP3 disc player..

Jason

steve sclafani

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »

I have fond memories of my Girlfriend rewinding those pesky tapes with a pencil.

When I got my 60 Fury Convertible on the road I knew I had to have something to listen to besides the sound of wind rushing by my ears, so I hid a cheap-0 power amp under the dash and ran the input wire for the IPod thru the ashtray. I used 2 old indoor/outdoor speakers I had in the garage, and laid them on the back seat, with enough extra line cord so they could be moved to the floor in case I had some back seat visitors. It sounds pretty good even at 60 MPH.

I fairly certain the power amp would be compatible with grounded speakers.

If the weather's agreeable this weekend, I'll unwrap her for a spin and I'll check ground the speaker to check if its good to go.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »

I used to have to put a piece of cardboard under the tape to hold it up so the head would be aligned for decent sound...

My 81 cordoba had an 8 track player and that was in 1994... bought a box of 8 tracks at a flea market and cranked Reo Speedwagon and Steppenwolf daily for 2 years.. LOL

Jason

steve sclafani

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:49:01 PM »

Yes! The Steppenwolf and Santana 8 Tracks needed a book of matches shoved on top of the tapes to make them play; they were so worn out.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:20 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Really?  Then why couldn't I sell the one I have, even with a starting bid of 5 bucks.
That surprises me since working 8-tracks go in excess of $100.  I bid on this and lost:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400166310781&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Cassette players from that era are even rarer.  I remember them going for $125+ in the not too distant past in working condition.  Maybe it's the seller? 

'Tell you what.  If you've got one - cassette or 8-track - that's near mint, I'll buy it off you for $5.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361
... bought a box of 8 tracks at a flea market and cranked Reo Speedwagon and Steppenwolf daily for 2 years.. LOL
There's a guy at the Carlisle Mopar Nationals who was sells tons of 8-tracks for $0.50 a pop.  So, naturally, I load up each time I go.

For months - until my 8-track bit it - I was blasting a really hard-to-find Mungo Jerry tape that I got from him.  I doubt the locals appreciated it.  Hhhmmmm.....Maybe my radio didn't die of natural causes after all....

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »

I agree, keep it original, fix what you've got. I wrote for mucho years
for a electronics magazine, mostly tube stuff,  the noisy pots can
be fixed in no time with some DeOxit 5, and any tape transport issues
are very dealable ... whoa, Mungo Jerry:  In the Summertime... now
that brings back some good  memories of dating my wife circa
1970!! We'll be married for 40 years next summer!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC